Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How many of you have broken map "guaranteed unbreakable" rods

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you have broken map "guaranteed unbreakable" rods

Is there anyone pushing over 800hp with map ultimates out there? Had a rod straight pull itself in half at about 860hp, bearings are find and rod bolts intact just seems to have failed in tension. After this happened I looked around and found quite a few examples of broken ones. Now all rods break but what gets to me was their reply on this matter. When I bought my rod they had this Guaranteed Unbreakable

We are so confident that these connecting rods will not bend or break that we are willing to guarantee it! If you bend or break one of these connecting rods from shear power we will reimburse you 100% of the purchase price.

When I brought this up however I was told basically that's just marketing speak and it doesn't mean ****. Now it's pretty obvious there was an issue with the initial rev 1 rods looking at the failures online and the fact that the new rods are completely different now and that the rep refused to comment any further on the rods when questioned. Mind you this is from a long time customer of maps who has bought at least 10 sets of rods off them luckily mostly rev 2 and the rev1 weren't making that much power.

This was the reply I got, basically that 5000km before breaking from a set of 1000hp rated rods that are marketed as guaranteed unbreakable is acceptable .
"Sir, I value your business and our relationship and I hope that over the years I have earned a measure of trust with our relationship. Arguing two different opinions is simply bad business and to that end, I absolutely respect your position but we would have to decline further support that that set of rods... due to a combination of age of the rods, lack of production of that particular product, understanding of the intent of the campaign and the length of time since the campaign has been closed. For those reasons and potentially more, I am afraid I will not be able to respond on this topic further.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Map is a **** company. I've ran into so many problems with them. The above doesn't surprise me one bit.
Sorry to hear MAP isnt standing behind their crappy products.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Sounds like there is much much more to this story than the OP posted.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Sounds like there is much much more to this story than the OP posted.
Yes it does. However, if they stated the rods will be replaced if they break, MAP should step up and do the right thing. I am waiting on a Synapse DV from them with absolutely no concrete data on when it's going to ship. This might be the last time I order from them.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Lol you make it sound like some conspiracy , I can show the complete email log as it's basically only 3 emails. More to the story... Well they didn't even want to see pics or see the log I offered to show them, this was the straight answer ,

I apologize for any misunderstanding, but I don't believe the intent of such a statement would be to impart an open ended warranty. I have to admit that it is tough for me to draw a line from such intent to a 6-7 year service life that ends in a refund. As far as I am concerned, an engine built as a result of that investment 6-7 years has absolutely met and exceeded it's service "lifetime" either by rod, piston or bore wear.
what they mean is their warranty is no warranty. The 6 years he's talking about is when the rod was released to market.

If I had something to hide why would I post publicly about it? I'm well aware map has a mouth to tell their side of the story and that they have an account also. Obviously there's more to the story as its only a short post but there's nothing at all I have to hide. My rod broke and they just straight up said tough nuts.
I'm honestly trying to see how many people have managed to push their map rods as I have built quite a few motors with them , luckily the rev 2. My rod failed nlts from second to third gear the big end is still completely intact the rod just got pulled in half at its weakest point just above the base
Old Jul 15, 2016, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerrally45
Map is a **** company. I've ran into so many problems with them. The above doesn't surprise me one bit.
Sorry to hear MAP isnt standing behind their crappy products.
They actually used to have awesome customer service I bought an ef4 that was too laggy they were happy to swap a new ef3 for it, somewhere along the line it has turned to **** though as any time I've asked about any broken items it's been tough cookies mate you're on your own. The quote below from them basically sums up their attitude , were happy to take your money just don't ask for help !

We can absolutely speak any time you like, sir. I am afraid I will not be responding further on the topic of a broken rod, but any other topic, please feel free to ask away!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 06:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Post pics..
Old Jul 15, 2016, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by burnzy
They actually used to have awesome customer service I bought an ef4 that was too laggy they were happy to swap a new ef3 for it, somewhere along the line it has turned to **** though as any time I've asked about any broken items it's been tough cookies mate you're on your own. The quote below from them basically sums up their attitude , were happy to take your money just don't ask for help !

We can absolutely speak any time you like, sir. I am afraid I will not be responding further on the topic of a broken rod, but any other topic, please feel free to ask away!
Yeah, there has been a few instances where this has happened to me within the last year or two. (Bad products delivered to me.) This is why I gave up on them. Not to mention their shipping system is a joke. I will now go out of my way to NOT order from them, its actually kinda funny.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Post pics..

Definitely will once I get the motor out bit hard to get good pics through the hole in the block at the moment, funny cause map didn't even bother asking for pics or how it happened as I guess they knew what the answer would be regardless. I don't know how a company can offer a guarantee like that for people testing their new product for them to sell parts and brush it off so easily when **** hits the fan, regardless of who's fault the breakage was its quite clear the answer would have still been the same. This has done many thousands of damage to my car none of which I asked to be reimbursed for, I would have been happy even with one rod as a good will gesture, the way they handled it and the utter greed and lack of standing behind their word is what got to me , they didn't even have the time to pretend to care, I'm no big player but I build quite a few motors and would dare say I've spend over 50,000 with them in the past few years I'd hate to see how your regular Joe would be treated.
This isn't even about how it happened who's fault it is blah blah it's how they can throw out w guarantee like that and then refuse to even entertain honouring it. FYI though rod bolts were stretched tightened and are both still there ,what remains of the rod still spins freely on the crank and even my coolant level hasn't moved, if you know 4g64s you'll know if it's detonating it pretty much throws the head gasket straight away at those power levels , hell even not detonating and too much cylinder pressure will do it however my head seal is still perfect

In the mean time however it pretty much looks like this

Also going by this thread are there really no users of Map rods pushing big power ? And none that have broke willing to speak up because i know of 3 in Australia alone
Old Jul 16, 2016, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry to hear. I've had some issues with getting incorrect parts...etc from them, but nothing on this level. Hope it works out for ya.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 04:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
For it to fail in the middle of the beam like that is pretty damn questionable. Probably a fatigue related failure.

I don't see anything about a warranty on their site though...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 05:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Watched the vid. You should have used a screw driver to hold the rod in place so we can see the failed section straight on

If its worth to you, send the rod to the lab & have them determine the mode of failure.
The lab may require the material specs of the rod which MAP should provide (failure analysis is not cheap)

At the very least, have the alum spec confirmed by the lab (that is not that expensive). If the rod material spec does not match the written spec, that would be a true material defect in which you should be compensated

Anyway, sorry to see that level of 4G64 damage
Old Jul 16, 2016, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Stand up companies are rare these days.

When did it fail? On a dyno? During a 1/4 mile pass? It severed like my stock 2.0 rod did at 400 ft/lbs torque running E-85.

You said you are pushing 860 HP...What torque ?

I am willing to bet they took the chance few were going to exceed 700 HP when these debuted.

I see companies failing all they time due to customer loyalty issues. Sad sign of the times.

Last edited by whtrice; Jul 16, 2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whtrice
Stand up companies are rare these days.

When did it fail? On a dyno? During a 1/4 mile pass? It severed like my stock 2.0 rod did at 400 ft/lbs torque running E-85.

You said you are pushing 860 HP...What torque ?

I am willing to bet they took the chance few were going to exceed 700 HP when these debuted.

I see companies failing all they time due to customer loyalty issues. Sad sign of the times.
Failed on the street at the top of second gear while WOT. Two small misfires just before it happened. They pretty much marketed them as a competitor to the Manley turbo tuff but with a wider bearing is what appealed to me at the time.
Just wanted to clear up that's not my video was just showing an example but mine is almost identical in the way it failed looks and spins the same.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Watched the vid. You should have used a screw driver to hold the rod in place so we can see the failed section straight on

If its worth to you, send the rod to the lab & have them determine the mode of failure.
The lab may require the material specs of the rod which MAP should provide (failure analysis is not cheap)

At the very least, have the alum spec confirmed by the lab (that is not that expensive). If the rod material spec does not match the written spec, that would be a true material defect in which you should be compensated

Anyway, sorry to see that level of 4G64 damage
There seems to be no point which is what I'm peeved about, map is basically saying even if it's their fault whatever you're on your own?? Sad I know.

Quick Reply: How many of you have broken map "guaranteed unbreakable" rods