Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flat wheel towing a non acd evo?

Old Sep 2, 2016, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Flat wheel towing a non acd evo?

Ive been looking at options to transport my evo across country and one option ive been looking into is flat towing with a tow bar. Ive looked at the forums and a lot of people have said no cause even if its in netural the acd pump isnt activated. But what it is a non acd evo? As long as the car is neutral with the key on would that hurt the drivetrain since there is no pump to worry about? Essentially the way i see it is just like coasting. Any helpful thoughts on this? Or has anyone tried it with a non acd evo?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
mechanically I don't see an issue but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the key in the ignition. just get it transported
Old Sep 2, 2016, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Couple of considerations for you...how you going to hook up a tow bar to the front of the evo? Lets say your wrong in your assertion, the drive line costs to replace a frt diff, potentially a trans, and or a rear diff--maybe 10k. You must have a car with a tow hitch, why not rent a trailer and mitigate all this mess and have a safe arrival. lots of moving parts and if for some unforeseen reason you make a mistake the financial costs out weigh the simple option.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

I do not see an issue leaving the car in the on position if im in the car in front of it pulling it. It's not like I won't take the key out of a car if I stop. As far as renting the trailer you're correct I could. However it's roughly going to be about 3 to $400 to rent a trailer to tow a car from West Virginia to Idaho. When you can pick up a towbar for about half of that. Plus it's owning something compared to renting something. People hook up tow bars for the front of vehicles all the time. I've seen numerous of vehicles attach to RVs when traveling. So obviously it's possible to do
Old Sep 2, 2016, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare68
I do not see an issue leaving the car in the on position if im in the car in front of it pulling it. It's not like I won't take the key out of a car if I stop. As far as renting the trailer you're correct I could. However it's roughly going to be about 3 to $400 to rent a trailer to tow a car from West Virginia to Idaho. When you can pick up a towbar for about half of that. Plus it's owning something compared to renting something. People hook up tow bars for the front of vehicles all the time. I've seen numerous of vehicles attach to RVs when traveling. So obviously it's possible to do

You also have to realize that the majority of vehicles that get towed behind an RV are front wheel drive economy cars, like a camry, or a civic. They don't have expensive all wheel drive systems that need constant fluid and fancy electronics to run. You can literally look in the owners manual and see that it says "only tow on a flat bed truck/trailer" so whatever you do is on you, but I would never tow mine with any wheels touching the ground.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Flat towing it would be fine. But I'm not sure how you're going to attach a tow bar without removing the front bumper cover, or cutting holes in it. I would just rent a trailer. A uhaul that fits a car isn't that expensive.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Epyon
You also have to realize that the majority of vehicles that get towed behind an RV are front wheel drive economy cars, like a camry, or a civic. They don't have expensive all wheel drive systems that need constant fluid and fancy electronics to run. You can literally look in the owners manual and see that it says "only tow on a flat bed truck/trailer" so whatever you do is on you, but I would never tow mine with any wheels touching the ground.
What fancy electronic system does a non acd car have? Plus the fluid its in the case and it will be applied the same if the car was moving. The main issue with wheel dollies is that if the car doesnt sit even it puts a strain on the ring and pinion gear. The car is still sitting even and all 4 tires have the same pressure applied to them as they would under a.normal driving condition.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Flat towing it would be fine. But I'm not sure how you're going to attach a tow bar without removing the front bumper cover, or cutting holes in it. I would just rent a trailer. A uhaul that fits a car isn't that expensive.
Its not like removing the bumper is that difficult. As i already expressed id rather spend less money and own something for future use then spend more money to rent something as long as it works and isnt harmful to the vehicle.