Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Factory Recall ECU Flash 2006 evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Recall ECU Flash 2006 evo IX

looking through the forums and found a few threads on here about the ecu reflash for 2006 evoIX but mostly just hear say and people saying dont do it it will mess up your tune.

I Just bought a mostly stock evo and have it scheduled to go in for maintenance and they want to do the ecu reflash. I would like to know if any one has a real idea of what is being changed in the ECU.

I live in California and Know our cars suffer from the 91 octane gas(more knock). Just curious if the reflash is perhaps retarding the timing to have less cat fouling and reduce knock wich would help with emissions.

The dealer did say it was a California specific reflash.

Thanks guys
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
What's mostly stock? The tune is meant for stock evos and has something to do with the catalytic converter not being super optimal based on some tune parameters

it's not a california specific reflash unless they did one for CA and one for the rest of the US

if you're not already tuned, this recall isn't going to hurt anything
Old Oct 20, 2016, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
yeah, I already had my tune so I just ignored this
Old Oct 20, 2016, 01:38 PM

When I say mostly stock I mean it has a manual boost controller and a carb compliant aem intake. Ss brake lines and some tien springs. Everything else looks completely stock as far as I know. I suppose it could have a flash on the ecu but the person I purchased it from only had it for a short time and knows very little about it. Original owner is the one that did all the modifications on it.

The dealership did say it was emissions related and makes sense that's that would involve the cat. I was just trying to see if anyone looked at the rom after the factory recal flash to see how deep a retune was. and what changes had been made.

Was it just start up changes?
Or actual total fuel map retune
OR somthing to be better with 91 since that is a big emissions thing here in California. Somthing like retarding timing 2 or 3 degrees to help with knock would also be considered emissions related.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Slewisr1
When I say mostly stock I mean it has a manual boost controller and a carb compliant aem intake. Ss brake lines and some tien springs. Everything else looks completely stock as far as I know. I suppose it could have a flash on the ecu but the person I purchased it from only had it for a short time and knows very little about it. Original owner is the one that did all the modifications on it.

The dealership did say it was emissions related and makes sense that's that would involve the cat. I was just trying to see if anyone looked at the rom after the factory recal flash to see how deep a retune was. and what changes had been made.

Was it just start up changes?
Or actual total fuel map retune
OR somthing to be better with 91 since that is a big emissions thing here in California. Somthing like retarding timing 2 or 3 degrees to help with knock would also be considered emissions related.

I would recommend against it. This recall was created because people were burning up catalytic converters thanks to the stock richness of the fuel map. If you have a manual boost controller and you're not sure if you have been tuned, now is a great time to take care of that. It does change your fuel mapping. It's not something to be better with 91, just fuel in general.

-pal215
Old Oct 20, 2016, 02:25 PM

Pal215 I appreciate the info I surely don't want to lean the car out. I have already turned the boost down to about 14psi because I do not know the quality of the tune if there is one at all.

When you say now is a great time to take care of it what are you referring to?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Slewisr1
Pal215 I appreciate the info I surely don't want to lean the car out. I have already turned the boost down to about 14psi because I do not know the quality of the tune if there is one at all.

When you say now is a great time to take care of it what are you referring to?
No problem,

I suggest that you get a retune from a reputable tuner. It will cost between $300 to $600, but they can view and correct anything wrong with your timing and fuel maps. You will also be able to turn the boost up and make power safely. You will enjoy the car much more after that.

-pal215
Old Oct 20, 2016, 08:31 PM

thanks for the advice pal215. The car actually came with a walboro 255 fuel pump, megan o2 housing percision 1000 cc injectors, 3inch down pipe and full 3 inch exhaust. Im planning on installing those little goodies and then going for a tune.

Actually just moved to san francisco from orlando and im trying to find a reputable tuner in the bay area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
This recall nearly bricked 2 Evos in my area. For some reason either the tech or whatever it is they use to flash the ECUs did not upload the new ROM correctly, resulting in Evos that would not start. I had to bail out that Mitsubishi dealership twice because of this. You are best off getting your car tuned by a reputable tuner. Avoid this recall at all costs.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:28 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
For what it's worth, I took, my car to the dealership to have the airbag recall done. They told me, "We also marked the ECU reflash as being "done" so it's all good when you go smog". I'm not sure what they meant by that. They made it sound like the smog shops pull up info via VIN to see if it were done or not.
I take everything they say with a grain of salt, so...