Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think it is time to move on from the evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
damn. I learned my lesson and got away from that about 4 years ago now. so much easier to enjoy near stock
My stocker has an OEM replacement clutch. The factory clutch chattered and grabbed. The replacement is everything you could wish for in a clutch. You can slip it as much as you want, it is so smooth and doesn't get hot. I loved the car before but a good clutch is so important in a manual car - an upgrade not available to most owners here because you make too much power.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im in the same boat.

i love my evo, i lusted after the car for years since they came out when i was in high school. I bought one within 3 days of getting my first job out of college. unfortunately over the summer i sort of impulse bought a honda challenge car. i hit 30 and got a serious gf in the process, and a lot of talk of safety and tracking started and i started to realize i really didnt want to ball up the evo on track, and it would be really nice to have a full cage around me.

needless to say the car spends the vast majority of the time sitting in the garage now. i drive it MAYBE once a week.

unfrtunately the market is not that great right now imho either. everyone wants to spend less than 15k on an evo, a lot of low mile evo's are getting passed over due to the demographic of the buyers (seems to be early 20's, basically exactly what we all were when we bought the cars were now trying to move on from!)
Old Nov 30, 2016, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
im in the same boat.

i love my evo, i lusted after the car for years since they came out when i was in high school. I bought one within 3 days of getting my first job out of college. unfortunately over the summer i sort of impulse bought a honda challenge car. i hit 30 and got a serious gf in the process, and a lot of talk of safety and tracking started and i started to realize i really didnt want to ball up the evo on track, and it would be really nice to have a full cage around me.

needless to say the car spends the vast majority of the time sitting in the garage now. i drive it MAYBE once a week.

unfrtunately the market is not that great right now imho either. everyone wants to spend less than 15k on an evo, a lot of low mile evo's are getting passed over due to the demographic of the buyers (seems to be early 20's, basically exactly what we all were when we bought the cars were now trying to move on from!)
Not necessarily. Low mileage bone stock Evos have been commanding a hefty premium lately. Even lightly modded low mileage ones are moving pretty well. If you are thinking of selling yours now would be a good time.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah bone stock low miles is one thing. I've got 77k on mine, unmodded engine/turbo, decent amount of suspension bits, and zero interest. Maybe because it was tracked? I don't know.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 07:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I'm with you. My next car is going to be a tube-framed track/street car. 'Can't wait.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah bone stock low miles is one thing. I've got 77k on mine, unmodded engine/turbo, decent amount of suspension bits, and zero interest. Maybe because it was tracked? I don't know.
I took a look at your FS post and there may be a few items on your car that is preventing you from getting your asking price. Missing trunk carpet and rear seats, dynamat, and the roll cage. Everything else looks to be in great condition. If you can take care of those things then you should be able to get better offers.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
I took a look at your FS post and there may be a few items on your car that is preventing you from getting your asking price. Missing trunk carpet and rear seats, dynamat, and the roll cage. Everything else looks to be in great condition. If you can take care of those things then you should be able to get better offers.
yeah i have every single stock part, just not in the car at the moment. didnt wanna be that guy that "returned it to stock", but i think you probably have a valid point.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 07:44 PM
kaj

...didnt wanna be that guy that "returned it to stock"....
You mean the guy that makes the car more desirable and gives the buyers what they want?

I'm sure you will have an easier time with the interior back in. Or at least remove the pic with all the trash in the back seat. Makes it look like a project.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm with you. My next car is going to be a tube-framed track/street car. 'Can't wait.

$$$$$$
Old Dec 2, 2016, 06:33 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jonno99
$$$$$$
$20-25k when done how I want. Much less than my Evo.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently sold my IX.....
Biggest mistake of my life, I'm already looking for another one.
The following users liked this post:
kpt6 (Dec 2, 2016)
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
If you're unsure if you wanna get out of it or not, don't. You will regret it. I've tried getting away from DSMs a few times now within the last decade, and I've accepted the fact I never will. I never made it more than a year before another 1G AWD ended up in my hands... Then I got the Evo, and I'm definitely stuck with both for a long time. There's nothing else like either of those cars. When Mitsu puts their mind to it, they can really make a good car.
The following users liked this post:
Evo9_Dubai (Dec 3, 2016)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 08:05 AM

It's very interesting reading these types of threads. It shows the complete opposite point of view. I am looking to get into one of these cars and I feel like I have the same enthusiasm you guys all did when you first got yours. I wonder how I will be a few years down the road.

OP, if you can, keep the car. Maybe returning it to stock will change your feelings towards the car. It'll be more 'tamed'
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:07 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by 04itr
It's very interesting reading these types of threads. It shows the complete opposite point of view. I am looking to get into one of these cars and I feel like I have the same enthusiasm you guys all did when you first got yours. I wonder how I will be a few years down the road.

OP, if you can, keep the car. Maybe returning it to stock will change your feelings towards the car. It'll be more 'tamed'
It's honestly the best car I've ever owned. My thing is that I am ready to progress to a point where:
1. It would get REALLY expensive to take an Evo to that level of performance
2. The Evo would be pretty much unstreetable.

But, If I'm going to have a car that is that track focused, I may as well do it for way less $$$ LOL

If I could find a way to keep it, I would. I regretted selling my first Evo and I'm gonna regret selling this one.
​​​​​​

Last edited by kaj; Dec 8, 2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 07:28 AM

I completely understand your point of view. I saw you used to own a Type R, do you ever miss that?

Quick Reply: I think it is time to move on from the evo