Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

JMS Racing for service

Old Dec 28, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMS Racing for service

Is this shop still a legitimate shop for our evos? I visisted their FB page and have seen they perform alot more work on muscle cars/ gtrs nowadays.

I was considering going to them or KevinD for a clutch install , but considering JMS for their price and distance/drive from Houston.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend this shop in Houston http://www.kozmicmotorsports.com/

Excellent quality in work and customer service
Old Dec 30, 2016, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JMS did my clutch install...as far as price and install goes, they did a great job. Customer service lacks a lot and communication felt forced and almost nonexistent
The following users liked this post:
Richard Hall (Jul 26, 2019)
Old Dec 30, 2016, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally would choose kozmic over jms any day.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slow_Supra
personally would choose kozmic over jms any day.

Why is that?
Old May 1, 2017, 07:20 AM

My experience with JMS Racing

For those who know me, I’m a big car guy but for a long time I’ve kept very quiet about my current Evo and I’ve avoided talking about it. I’m not going to converse about the situation past this post but just wanted to bring awareness to others so you don’t make the same mistake and stress as I have, please feel free to share.

A little over two years ago I purchased the JMS Racing Black Mamba Evo 9. It was purchased in February 2015. Since the car needed to get rebuilt, I contracted ​their services to build a car in the 800-900 whp range. The vehicle was supposed to be completed in about 8 months. Almost all of those 8 months the motor was spent at the machine shop (the shop chosen by JMS Racing for machining) with a series of excuses ranging in missing parts, shortage in staffing, and to just horrible communication the car wasn't completed in the expected timeframe​. Once the motor arrived back in JMS’s hands, months passed by before the motor was fully assembled in the car then supposedly disassembled for QA/QC due to issues with an employee who no longer works at the shop not assembling parts within spec from other vehicles. Once that issue was resolved the car's progress moved at a snail's pace. Parts got changed out without me being notified first, an AEM Infinity ECU was supposed to be used but then changed to the V2 and GSC S2 cams were utilized instead of S3. They tried to sell me into buying carbon syncros for the trans because they are better which I declined because I wanted the car out and running, to later having a delay because the trans they had for the car was bad and they needed to source another one, coincidence?

It was obvious many other cars just simply had higher priority ($$$) for their services, although mine had been stuck in their shop for over one and a half years. As things started coming along I had to constantly initiate communication and feel like I had to complain or be pushy, qualities I don't like to be but was forced to for the sake of getting a car which I've paid over $40k for and have yet been able to drive once. Fast forward to November/December 2016 and I requested a completion date no later than the end of the year. Because of this my powder coating services that was supposed to be included was cancelled. End of year comes and the car is not done. Finally I contacted the Better Businesses Bureau to see if they could possibly help me out. I submitted a formal complaint and they contacted JMS Racing and we waited for a rebuttal. Magically, soon afterwards they contacted me and got the car completed and tuned. The car was officially “delivered” to me in March 2017. I say delivered in quotations because it was dropped off at an unsecured storage facility with the doors unlocked and the keys in the backseat INSTEAD of it being delivered to my home as agreed upon. Once it was at my home I proceeded to take the necessary steps to get the car titled, safety inspection, and plates which was about a week and half’s time. Once that was completed​ I finally got to drive the vehicle so I could get familiar with the new car that I've never driven, triple disk clutch, and the difference in horsepower. Needless to say, I babied the car this whole time.

During this time I noticed; the fabricated exhaust was not performed but just a crappy fitting HKS exhaust which had to be fixed because it leaked causing additional cabin noise, had to fix a few wires for turn signals and horn to operate, the car would burn a little bit of oil at start-up, contacted JMS and they said to drive it a bit more because it could just be a little bit of residual oil from assembly. In all, three weeks, 1 tank fill-up, and with about 210 total miles the car breaks while driving on the highway. I immediately contacted JMS and was recommended to tow the car home and once the motor cooled to check the timing. I take the 4 bolts off the cover to find the belt is snapped. I sent them pictures and they begin to make arrangements to pick up the vehicle and have it sent back to their shop. Once the vehicle is picked up I immediately received a phone call to explain the protocol of this situation. They will investigate what caused the failure and if it is determined that it was caused from something that was installed improperly they will cover and replace 100% but if it is a part failure because of the horsepower range we are at I would have to purchase the replacement parts, at cost price, and cover 50% of labor costs. At this point I'm frustrated at the way I have been treated as a customer, lack of accountability on their end to respond properly to this situation, and now has me questioning the quality of work that has been performed to my vehicle (should I trust that they didn't mess anything else) not to mention the feeling that I’m about to just get flipped a bill.

Update April 11, 2017:

I was contacted by JMS Racing and was notified that there is no indication of any cause of failure from their assembly but they suggested that I possibly over-revved the motor which caused the damages. I told them that Gates (the manufacturer of the timing belt) is able to determine if it was a defective belt or possible too much tensioner preload but they stayed firm on determining it had been due to over-revved. As I restated to them when incident happened I was cruising at highway speed going back home from buying earrings for my daughter. Was then asked well did you possibly have it in 3rd gear and shifted accidentally into 2nd?... No I was cruising meaning the car was in 5th gear at 65-70mph... So at this point they said my car will need new valves, pistons, machine work, bearings, and a new timing belt. Upon asking them what guarantee do I have once I spend more money to get it fix this that it won't just break in another 200 miles… response was there's no guarantee just as is. They then said that the head is going to be sent to the machine shop, I immediately said No I decline to have any more services performed from y’all and will coordinate pick up of the vehicle and to please have the car ready for pick up.

Since then, I’ve been in contact with Kozmic Motorsports where the car is going to be checked, repaired, and back on the road.... They also noted that the car had bad front axles installed and no knock sensors.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No knock sensors? Yikes.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Never heard of them before, maybe that's a good thing. Though I would certainly like to hear their accounts before passing any judgements not saying you're wrong in anyway man just that's the best way to resolve a problem when you know the story from everyone involved, I'm sure you can understand that.

Are they even on these boards? Vendor? At this point do they owe you anything further money or parts wise? And Vise Versa? Are you looking to get refunded for money spent to this point? Have you spoken to an attorney to see what options you may have?

Either way good luck with this new shop, haven't heard of them either, I know if I had to send my car to a shop to get built there are maybe 3-4 shops in the world I would send it, all are long time vendors here that specialize in the Lancer Evolution, have built hundreds if not thousands previously and do it all from mechanics to tuning. Make sure you are making the right choice this time is my suggestion. Hope you're able to get the car up and running again without too much more financial burden.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 01:04 PM

Same

I also had a shady interaction with JMS they have bad customer service skills
Old Jul 26, 2019, 01:08 PM

Jms <

JMS has poor customer service there not really a for everyday working customer , normally just cater to folks with big money. And time to waist.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 03:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hi @Richard Hall

Thanks for joining us on the boards