Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New to the forum and looking to finally purchase one of my dream cars

Old Jan 22, 2017, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum and looking to finally purchase one of my dream cars

Hey guys,

I've been spending all day on this forum trying to figure if I should pull the trigger and finally buy an evo, my love affair with the evo goes back to Gran Turismo 1 and I've always had it near the top of my wish list.

Thankfully I met some friends and got into the autocross scene with my little econobox, I've met a few evo owners and one of my close friends owns one, having ridden in one I can say that I'm even more in love. so after a couple of years of hard work, I'm finally in a position to get myself and evo VIII, I've come across a few interesting adds on autotrader, and long story short I'm looking for some advice.

what should I look for? I know that I want a stock or close to stock evo, with all the scheduled maintenance done so far, but what else should I be on the lookout for? what are the downsides of owning an evo, and using it as a daily, with some very rare track use ie. once a year. what are the maintenance costs of owning one? among other questions.

anyways thanks for reading sorry if I rambled, but I'm excited to maybe very soon be an evo owner. btw here's the one that has caught my eye the most.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ode1=LANCEREVO
Old Jan 22, 2017, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Feeling a bit lazy tonight but I'm sure others will chime in to provide more insight to your question about what to look for when purchasing an Evo. In the meantime, I posted a YouTube link below to get you started.

WATCH THIS Before Buying An Evo! What To Look For When Buying A "Stock" - Vlog 48
The following users liked this post:
Evofan87 (Jan 22, 2017)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:05 PM

I would like to emphasize the timing belt age and its last replacement. Breaking this while driving at a great speed would cause severe damage to your engine. Please ask the seller when it was last replaced, it needs to be replaced every 5 years or 60,000 miles.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
All eights have been touched, weather they are returned to stock or not. There are like maybe a handful of true untouched VIII's, but very very rare.

You need to look it over with a fine tooth comb. I would have 2 to 3 shops look at it, and test to their full ability. But you also need to be there to look under, inside and out.

Look here on the forum for pics of mods etc. This will help you to notice subtle differences in things, and determine if they are upgraded or stock, or been upgraded and returned to stock.

Also, it would not hurt to post the VIN of the few you look at, on here, to see if anyone recognizes it from the past as theirs.
\
I'll think of more stuff, but for now, that will get you started.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:53 PM

Well here's the vin:
JA3AH86F23U118473

how would I check to see if the belt was done if they have no documentation?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 03:13 PM

Your best bet would be to assume it isn't done then. Just my opinion
Old Jan 24, 2017, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Your best bet would be to assume it isn't done then. Just my opinion
+1.

Where are you located, and can you tell what mods or anything added, or taken away.

Did you do a Carfax on it?

Also, some insurance companies can tell you who previously owned it, age, etc. Depends on how well you know your agent.

But get as much history as you can. Not to scare you, but to educate you, on what it has been through.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Raceghost
+1.

Where are you located, and can you tell what mods or anything added, or taken away.

Did you do a Carfax on it?

Also, some insurance companies can tell you who previously owned it, age, etc. Depends on how well you know your agent.

But get as much history as you can. Not to scare you, but to educate you, on what it has been through.
I'm in nw Washington, and from the pics I can only tell that it has gauges.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in a similar boat and I'm just wondering what common issues the evo 8s have

should I stay away from bolt on evos? the one I'm looking at has an exhaust from what I can see in the pics, I need to check it out in person though
Old Jan 24, 2017, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in nw Washington, and from the pics I can only tell that it has gauges.
Check with Aaron at English Racing in Seattle or there about. Hes on here under English Racing. They may have seen it in their shop.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 09:11 PM

Can anybody help out. I have a 02 lancer oz rally. My timing belt ripped while i was accelerating from a red light and I keep getting told different things that should be done and i dont have alot of funds to check everything. so what exactly needs to be done? message me plz or reply
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I was going to just say if you could have ENGLISH racing look at it . I am not sure how far away you are from them. But they would be your best bet.