Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Suggestion to make my onw race gas, or what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suggestion to make my onw race gas, or what can I do?

Hello guys! Maybe this can be a bored, repeated thread or whatever.

Previosly, I´ve always used VP Q16 for race my Evo. Besides the price (5 gallons cost $200 dollars), there is no gVP in my country anymore. I´m looking alternatives to increase the octane rating of gasoline (our crap gas is around 90 oct). I used Xylene (25%)to remove knock sometimes, but I would like to use a mix of pure ethanol with gas (50/50) but I dont know if tis safe?.

I have some races this saturday and Im thinking to race with a mix of xylene, while I decide what to do. Any suggestion or experience making your own race fuel in your evos?
Remember, we only have 90 oct gas, NO E85, NO VP, NOTHING!

I have acces to xylene, toluene and pure ethanol.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mauricio Evo IV
Hello guys! Maybe this can be a bored, repeated thread or whatever.

Previosly, I´ve always used VP Q16 for race my Evo. Besides the price (5 gallons cost $200 dollars), there is no gVP in my country anymore. I´m looking alternatives to increase the octane rating of gasoline (our crap gas is around 90 oct). I used Xylene (25%)to remove knock sometimes, but I would like to use a mix of pure ethanol with gas (50/50) but I dont know if tis safe?.

I have some races this saturday and Im thinking to race with a mix of xylene, while I decide what to do. Any suggestion or experience making your own race fuel in your evos?
Remember, we only have 90 oct gas, NO E85, NO VP, NOTHING!

I have acces to xylene, toluene and pure ethanol.
I don't have much experience with evos but in terms of race gas alternatives your best bet is to retune the car for 100% ethanol, E85 is just 15% pump gas and 85% ethanol and is well known for being poor mans race fuel, just make sure your fuel system is ethanol ready, most cars after 96 are rated for use with ethanol but it doesn't hurt to replace all your fuel lines and pump with ones designed for use with ethanol

in terms of hardware you will probably need to replace, fuel lines, bigger injectors, and a higher flowing fuel pump although idk how your car is setup so you might be safe with some of these parts

another alternative you could use is water/meth injection(ethanol works just as well as meth same with denatured alcohol) but now you have one more fuel tank to worry about, the pump gas you are using combined with water/meth should give you about the same knock resistance as E85 and give you the added effect of cooling the intake charge, I know this is very popular with Camaro guys who make high HP as its cheaper to convert the car to run water/meth injection than it is to convert to running an ethanol based fuel
The following users liked this post:
Mauricio Evo IV (Jan 25, 2017)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I see you have a methanol kit. Why not make a real kit with a secondary rail with injectors and a fuel lab pump/regulator. Thats what I am doing never have to worry about quality of E85 or shorter driving range.
Mauricio Evo IV (Jan 27, 2017)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by luigi90210
I don't have much experience with evos but in terms of race gas alternatives your best bet is to retune the car for 100% ethanol, E85 is just 15% pump gas and 85% ethanol and is well known for being poor mans race fuel, just make sure your fuel system is ethanol ready, most cars after 96 are rated for use with ethanol but it doesn't hurt to replace all your fuel lines and pump with ones designed for use with ethanol

in terms of hardware you will probably need to replace, fuel lines, bigger injectors, and a higher flowing fuel pump although idk how your car is setup so you might be safe with some of these parts

another alternative you could use is water/meth injection(ethanol works just as well as meth same with denatured alcohol) but now you have one more fuel tank to worry about, the pump gas you are using combined with water/meth should give you about the same knock resistance as E85 and give you the added effect of cooling the intake charge, I know this is very popular with Camaro guys who make high HP as its cheaper to convert the car to run water/meth injection than it is to convert to running an ethanol based fuel
Hello man, thanx for your answer. I use meth and water 50/50. I thinking to use E85 or 100% ethanol but I dont want change fuel pump and injectors for that. I both maybe $1K its a lot of money in this moment.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
I see you have a methanol kit. Why not make a real kit with a secondary rail with injectors and a fuel lab pump/regulator. Thats what I am doing never have to worry about quality of E85 or shorter driving range.
yes, I use methanol with water 50/50. And you say the secundary rai and fuel pump/regulator for use what? meth or ethanol?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Whatever you can get just make sure to get the fij stainless injectors 1650 that can handle them.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, I use methanol with water 50/50. And you say the secundary rai and fuel pump/regulator for use what? meth or ethanol?
I think he's suggesting you go direct port meth injection. while that will benefit you in the sense that you won't have an uneven amount of meth going into each cylinder, it only really matters if you know one cylinder is getting less meth than another. Imo it isn't worth it cause you can just run e85 and achieve the same effect for less money.

edit

OP if you're looking for more power on the cheap look into getting a nitrous kit, I'd suggest a wet kit at the very least so you don't have to worry about adjusting your fuel map for a dry shot since the wet kit sprays both fuel and nitrous and if you want to spray a baby shot(anything less than 100shot) you probably won't even need to pull timing although the rule is for every 75shot you pull 1 degree of timing.
If you want to go that route id suggest checking out LS1Tech's nitrous section, there are some really knowledgeable people there who can help inform you on getting a proper nitrous setup on your car. Idk how much time you're looking to knock off but depending on how big of a shot you're gonna spray you can easily add another 50-200hp(shot number relates to how big of a HP jump you want), I have seen guys run a full second faster on spray vs off spray so it can make a huge difference.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 03:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Making your own race gas is easy, I've done it for years.
Adding say 25% xylene or toluene gives a great octane boost, the downside is that it's got a greater SG so runs rich. Your plugs will come out black. Adding a % or methanol will lean it out and at the same time give a bit more octane.
There's no point in doing a retune because it's easier to manipulate the contents of the fuel to match the tune.
Mauricio Evo IV (Jan 30, 2017)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Making your own race gas is easy, I've done it for years.
Adding say 25% xylene or toluene gives a great octane boost, the downside is that it's got a greater SG so runs rich. Your plugs will come out black. Adding a % or methanol will lean it out and at the same time give a bit more octane.
There's no point in doing a retune because it's easier to manipulate the contents of the fuel to match the tune.
Thank man.

One more think. You said adding methanol to the tank? Maybe a 25%? of a gallon? I have a methanol kit, but you said direct to the tank?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

One more thing, I can get avgas 100/130 this is a good option dont you think?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 07:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
One more think. You said adding methanol to the tank? Maybe a 25%? of a gallon? I have a methanol kit, but you said direct to the tank?
You've actually got a water injection kit.
It's for water.
Water only. It doesn't need and doesn't want methanol .
The only place for methanol is in the fuel tank.

As for the actual % to add, that's up to you to experiment with due to other variables. I'm not going to recommend any % that way if and when you blow up the engine, it's not my fault.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
More people are starting to get away from water/meth injection due to possible catastrophic engine failures if the injection pump fails, and they do fail. In general, any change in your fueling requires a retune for max performance and to prevent blowing up your engine. Best thing to do is to find a fuel mix that fits your needs and get your car retuned with your chosen fuel.
Mauricio Evo IV (Feb 3, 2017)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

If you mix meth with pumpgas in the oem tank your going to kill your lines over time and cause clogs and weird fueling issues. Thats why I run 2 seperate tanks and fuel systems.
Once you have all the components of a secondary fuel system the chances it will fail are similar to a pumpgas failure.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Feb 2, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Mauricio Evo IV (Feb 3, 2017)