Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water Pump leaking

Old Mar 20, 2017, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water Pump leaking

Y
Thought this was super odd! Did a little pull in 2nd gear, heard a little pop, pulled into the parking lot and smelt coolant. Got to looking and saw this! blew my freeze plug off! Did some research and saw that this has happened to quite of few members!
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...1_mf665542.htm
so found these on STM, but not sure if these are correct, and if so, 35mm or 40mm?

Last edited by BTW_Evo8; Mar 20, 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 02:42 PM

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by BTW_Evo8; Mar 20, 2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yep you got it freeze plug indeed. I had this happen to my car years ago and as it turned out the real culprit was a failing headgasket. So while technically you can just replace the freeze plug I'd make sure your HG is OK or you'll end up in the same predicament in a couple weeks time.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Yep you got it freeze plug indeed. I had this happen to my car years ago and as it turned out the real culprit was a failing headgasket. So while technically you can just replace the freeze plug I'd make sure your HG is OK or you'll end up in the same predicament in a couple weeks time.
Thanks man! Ive seen that mentioned as well...fun stuff haha. I'll look into that for sure.
Any idea which size plug just in case?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Freeze plugs give trouble when the engine has been run with no antifreeze.

Engines end up getting run with no antifreeze when the cooling system gets topped up constantly.
That in turn is usually caused by a headgasket problem.

The end result is often a radiator which explodes.

Then you'll be asking about a fancy aluminium one because the factory one wasn't strong enough.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Then you'll be asking about a fancy new aluminum one because the factory one wasn't strong enough.
Hahaha gotcha man. Appreciate it

Last edited by BTW_Evo8; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Freeze plugs give trouble when the engine has been run with no antifreeze.

Engines end up getting run with no antifreeze when the cooling system gets topped up constantly.
That in turn is usually caused by a headgasket problem.

The end result is often a radiator which explodes.

Then you'll be asking about a fancy aluminium one because the factory one wasn't strong enough.
I dont follow the progression here. Are you saying first its HG issues which then leads to lack of coolant which then leads to freezeplug problems?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Also, OP I know you were asking about the size of the freeze plug. Unfortunately I dont have the answer for you so your best bet is to meausure it. I have some old water pumps sitting in a box somewhere that I could measure but I have to remember where its sitting haha! But I will say that I'd be shocked if your pump isnt also leaking now out of the weep hole. Moral of the story I think your pump is a goner.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 06:06 PM

Also, OP I know you were asking about the size of the freeze plug. Unfortunately I dont have the answer for you so your best bet is to meausure it. I have some old water pumps sitting in a box somewhere that I could measure but I have to remember where its sitting haha! But I will say that I'd be shocked if your pump isnt also leaking now out of the weep hole. Moral of the story I think your pump is a goner.
i appreciate the help bro! I'm gonna go ahead and order another pump. I've been too busy at work to work on it and take a good look at it unfortunately.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same thing happen with mine but it wasn't the head it was the turbo leaking through the lines and that's what popped my plug. That's what my machanic said but he did pull the head and did new studs and gasket, and rebuild the turbo.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by desmvp
I had the same thing happen with mine but it wasn't the head it was the turbo leaking through the lines and that's what popped my plug. That's what my machanic said but he did pull the head and did new studs and gasket, and rebuild the turbo.
What do you mean the turbo was leaking through the lines? Coolant was leaking out the lines to the turbo??
Old Mar 29, 2017, 07:56 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I dont follow the progression here. Are you saying first its HG issues which then leads to lack of coolant which then leads to freezeplug problems?
He's saying a bad head gasket will push water out of the system. People will then top off with water instead of 50/50. Eventually, you will end up with very little coolant. The more water in the system, the more expansion you will see. More expansion means more pressure. That's when things start to fail like plastic radiator end tanks, freeze plugs on water pumps, etc.
I.E. I use Evans waterless coolant and my system runs such low pressure, I could drive without a radiator cap, if I wanted to. A side benefit is no corrosion to the cooling system, but I digress....