Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What alarm system do you use?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What alarm system do you use?

Im looking to get an alarm system installed into my RS and was curious to know what alarm systems you all use.
I've only done so much research on them and the Viper brand seems to stand out a lot.

Im not looking for remote start, but am contemplating putting in power locks to the two front doors. Would it be worth to put the power locks in?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Declan
Old Apr 7, 2017, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i did a fair bit of research when i got mine and decided to go with compustar, i have remote start on it as well and im telling you it is a very nice feature to have.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I have a viper that was installed by the previous owner, thankfully can say I havent had any isues but looking at the wiring Id much rather have it stock or at least a little less cluttered
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an Autopage 2 way with remote start. 250 installed . Love the option of remote start
Old Apr 8, 2017, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I first got my Evo they were being stolen in Chicago quite frequently. I decided to go with a 2 way Viper alarm and LoJack with early detection
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:04 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
from a security stand point you don't want remote start. A good thief can actually use the remote start feature to help them steal your car.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
CrimeStopper w/ remote start, I challenge them to try. Would make for good entertainment.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

OP I've put power door locks in a ex gf's RS when she had it along with a crime stopper alarm. Was very easy to do with the stock actuators out of a donor car.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
CrimeStopper w/ remote start, I challenge them to try. Would make for good entertainment.
I found this manual after about 10 seconds of googling:

http://www.crimestopper.com/cstech/l...een%20kill.pdf

You pull the harness circled in red, twist grey, pink and red together, then tap brown, and you have hot wired the car.

P.S. There is a little more to it, but im not trying to teach a stealing cars 101 class here lol

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Apr 8, 2017 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ghost911 (Nov 10, 2020)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

There is def more to it than that. Yes, could be done if the alarm was installed "per" the manual, maybe, as there are other factors to consider once the car is started, especially with a manual transmission. However, with adding multiple layers of security it isn't that easy. Short of a flatbed it would be terribly time consuming and a lot of trail and error to drive the car away.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
There is def more to it than that. Yes, could be done if the alarm was installed "per" the manual, maybe, as there are other factors to consider once the car is started, especially with a manual transmission. However, with adding multiple layers of security it isn't that easy. Short of a flatbed it would be terribly time consuming and a lot of trail and error to drive the car away.
Your right, 90% of how well an alarm will work to stop a thief is based on how it is installed. Like i said, if the thief is good, a remote start capable alarm is going to help that thief steal the car not hinder him. The simple act of making that alarm brain capable of starting the car, by installing the necessary wiring and modules does a lot of the thiefs work for him/her. All the other things you are talking about are the same with or without the remote start function of the alarm. My point is simply a remote start capable alarm is less secure then the same alarm without the function.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Apr 9, 2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks!
I've decided to go with the Viper Python 2 way without remote start. I really have no reason for it as I live in SoCal and never need to warm the car up on a cold morning lol.

I am having 4 automatic door locks installed as well just for ease of locking / access.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DecBro
Thanks for all the replies folks!
I've decided to go with the Viper Python 2 way without remote start. I really have no reason for it as I live in SoCal and never need to warm the car up on a cold morning lol.

I am having 4 automatic door locks installed as well just for ease of locking / access.
Nice!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:09 PM

Wiring dude did a sensational job!
Only missing one door actuator right now as the ones he had did not fit. Found some at a scrap yard, but need to install the drivers side.
He even stuck in the automatic mirror control for me - one luxury I now have in the RS
Strangely enough the wiring for the door actuators and mirrors are all there, just not hooked up / didn't have the motor mechanisms where they needed to be. It's like Mitsubishi took a slight shortcut there in the RS's to save 1/2 LB Didn't make sense to me to run all the wiring up to the point.

The system needs some programming as it won't set correctly when the turbo timer is on. Any ideas for that?
I can lock it and set it, but moment the turbo timer turns off, it unlocks the system. May need a new brain me thinks.

He also found a lovely birds nest of wires from previous owners
Cleaned it up and removed a bunch of excess wiring and relays.
What alarm system do you use?-photo138.jpg
What alarm system do you use?-photo108.jpg