Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Considering buying an evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying an evo 8

Hello, I am an 18 year old male who drives a 2006 bmw e90 325i i had some problems with my car in the past few months I owned it for 5 months and the bills started to rack up first my radiator went bad second my water pump now my transmission is gone. Notice i dont driver my car hard since i saved up the money to buy it and the maintenance is on me. I gave up on her and I found a 2003 evo 8 with around 70K miles it has around 350-400hp are they good daily drivers? Are they reliable? Should i go for the change or fix my bmw? Keep in mind i have no lights on the dash of my bmw i am very picky when it comes to maintenance. Thank you🤓
Old Jun 18, 2017, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get rid bmw, get the evo simples
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Evo's arent any cheaper to maintain. Driving your E90 daily will not be the same as driving an Evo daily so try not to compare the two as they're completely different experiences. Think of it as one is fun and the other is comfortable.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
Evo's arent any cheaper to maintain. Driving your E90 daily will not be the same as driving an Evo daily so try not to compare the two as they're completely different experiences. Think of it as one is fun and the other is comfortable.
Thats true but at 18 years old id rather have some fun than comfort cause we all are gonna grow up and end up having family sedans such as the e90
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HairySocks
Thats true but at 18 years old id rather have some fun than comfort cause we all are gonna grow up and end up having family sedans such as the e90
I'm "grown-up" (whatever that means), and I still have my Evo. I also drive an E39 540. Love my Evo more!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 01:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm "grown-up" (whatever that means), and I still have my Evo. I also drive an E39 540. Love my Evo more!
Hate to admit it, but early 50's here. I can put my foot into it w/the best of them

Behind the EvO wheel, Im no more than 25
Old Jun 18, 2017, 01:37 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I bought my evo at 20, 12 years of DD later and I still love it. A properly maintained and wisely modified evo 8 can be very reliable at that power level. You will be hard pressed to find both of those qualities though in most of what you come across. The age is also a huge factor and there are just things that will need replacing/fixing. If your reasons for buying a different car are reliability and easy maintenance then a 14 year old high performance car is probably not the right path.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I bought my evo at 20, 12 years of DD later and I still love it. A properly maintained and wisely modified evo 8 can be very reliable at that power level. You will be hard pressed to find both of those qualities though in most of what you come across. The age is also a huge factor and there are just things that will need replacing/fixing. If your reasons for buying a different car are reliability and easy maintenance then a 14 year old high performance car is probably not the right path.
Thats true but i have put so much money into my bmw and it wont work like i fix X i drive the car for 1 week which is from my home to collage then home back to the gym then work for 1 week and Y goes out i am tired of fixing something and the other fails also my car is cursed i swear wherever i park her i come back and see it either scratched or someone hit and ran away once i was sitting in the car a dude smashed into me in the parking lot i went and fixed the car as soon as it was out the garage i parked it outside the house and i come in to grab my books to go to collage i hear a smash i go and its the mail man smashing right into my car im tired of this its a cursed car i swear 5 months of ownership 1 week with me 1 week in the garage i didnt enjoy the experience at all trust me i gave up on her
Old Jun 18, 2017, 02:16 PM

Dont get me wrong by grown up i mean we will have families and sports cars wont be that idle without another spare car. I have the E90 and a Crv i literally drive the crv like **** and it never even broke on me the bmw im very sensitive and drive her so carefully it keeps doing this hahahaha
Old Jun 18, 2017, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hate to admit it, but early 50's here. I can put my foot into it w/the best of them

I dig it! Will definitely be me
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my thoughts to OP.

1) As BMWs age, they're going to become extremely expensive to maintain. German vehicles are built like none other, but with that comes high labor costs, expensive parts, and a ton of bloody knuckles (if you attempt the work yourself). They aren't easy to work on. But with that you get a well put together car, with high quality parts, that will last a long time if maintained properly.

2) You are going to give up a lot of comfort features going from a BMW to an Evo. I went from a B5 S4 to the Evo and to this day still miss things like heated seats, power seats, sunroof, Bose speakers, foldable rear seats, etc. On the other end, the Evo is clearly going to give you more smiles per gallon, without question.

3) As much as I will tell you that German cars are expensive to maintain, the Evo isn't going to be much easier on your wallet. A modified Evo with 70k is going to cost you roughly $2,500-$3,000 per year in maintenance if I had to throw out a rough estimate. The upside is that Evos are ****ing simple to work on. If you can spin a wrench without saying "Lefty loosey," chances are there aren't many maintenance jobs on the Evo that you won't be able to do yourself. So, it might not be better on maintenance, but you'll get parts cheaper and, in many cases, will save a lot of money on labor.

4) Evos turn heads. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. Not just children and old men, but police officers too (both in good and bad). Be prepared for that, because you are able to fly under the radar in a BMW. You have to be a much more attentive driver in an Evo. I remember cruising down the interstate with a buddy of mine and we were almost side swiped by an SUV because the driver (I still to this day have no clue who it was) was taking a video of my car and wasn't paying attention to the road.

5) Bone stock Evos with under 60k are in serious demand. The stocker you go, the more value the car will retain in the future. Keep that in mind. People don't like highly modified Evos unless they are doing the modding themselves (for good reason, obviously).

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

Nice! I am 24, and would not mind being stuck at this age forever Although the salary bump(s) one can receive by the time your 50 make me feel like I can't grow up fast enough. Bit of a catch 22...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm 31 and I've had my evo for about 4 years. You can pry my evo from my cold, dead, 90 year old hands
Old Jun 19, 2017, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cts4g63
4) Evos turn heads. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. Not just children and old men, but police officers too (both in good and bad). Be prepared for that, because you are able to fly under the radar in a BMW. You have to be a much more attentive driver in an Evo. I remember cruising down the interstate with a buddy of mine and we were almost side swiped by an SUV because the driver (I still to this day have no clue who it was) was taking a video of my car and wasn't paying attention to the road.
I've been stopped by numerous police officers for not having a front license plate but all of them gave compliments on the car . The Evo really does catch attention.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by cts4g63
Here's my thoughts to OP.

1) As BMWs age, they're going to become extremely expensive to maintain. German vehicles are built like none other, but with that comes high labor costs, expensive parts, and a ton of bloody knuckles (if you attempt the work yourself). They aren't easy to work on. But with that you get a well put together car, with.
high quality parts, that will last a long time if maintained properly.

2) You are going to give up a lot of comfort features going from a BMW to an Evo. I went from a B5 S4 to the Evo and to this day still miss things like heated seats, power seats, sunroof, Bose speakers, foldable rear seats, etc. On the other end, the Evo is clearly going to give you more smiles per gallon, without question.

3) As much as I will tell you that German cars are expensive to maintain, the Evo isn't going to be much easier on your wallet. A modified Evo with 70k is going to cost you roughly $2,500-$3,000 per year in maintenance if I had to throw out a rough estimate. The upside is that Evos are ****ing simple to work on.
If you can spin a wrench without saying "Lefty loosey," chances are there aren't many maintenance jobs on the Evo that you won't be able to do yourself. So, it might not be better on maintenance, but you'll get parts cheaper and, in many cases, will save a lot of money on labor.

5) Bone stock Evos with under 60k are in serious demand. The stocker you go, the more value the car will retain in the future. Keep that in mind. People don't like highly modified Evos unless they are doing the modding themselves (for good reason, obviously).

Nice! I am 24, and would not mind being stuck at this age forever Although the salary bump(s) one can receive by the time your 50 make me feel like I can't grow up fast enough. Bit of a catch 22...
Thank you for your advice I will currenty give my e90 a last chance since i fixed the water pump and radiator which means i wont be having heating issues for some time now and the transmission i will fix it tomorrow which will lead to almost a brand new car if anything serious breaks thats it for my bmw.