Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I just bought an Evo VIII w/ 30k Miles and I have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought an Evo VIII w/ 30k Miles and I have some questions...

Hey Guys,

For reference I have had a 09 WRX, 10 Evo X, 11 Mini Cooper S, 85 AE86 Corolla, 07 STI, 01 S2000 and now a 03 Evo VIII. So I would like to think I know have to drive a stick but this car feels like it will stall in first gear with anything under 2k rpm revs. Anything under that the car shakes like its about to stall. So is that normal for this car? Also this car is completely stock and was wondering what I should do from a maintenance standpoint? The car does not have records and even though the miles are super low, it is 14 years old.

Thank you!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:04 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
No thats not normal, ive got cams and i can get my car rolling from a stop with good clutch work and no gas. My advice is to do a boost leak test, im sure at that age all stock there are going to be many leaks.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Is the Evo modified/tuned? Check all intercooler hose connections and vacuum hoses (By intake manifold). What you describe seems like a lower intercooler pipe/hose that's disconnected.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
No thats not normal, ive got cams and i can get my car rolling from a stop with good clutch work and no gas. My advice is to do a boost leak test, im sure at that age all stock there are going to be many leaks.
Thanks, I am looking into see if there is any good shops around to get it looked at....

Originally Posted by iD33
Is the Evo modified/tuned? Check all intercooler hose connections and vacuum hoses (By intake manifold). What you describe seems like a lower intercooler pipe/hose that's disconnected.
Thank you, I will try and look but the car is completely stock...
Old Jun 18, 2017, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm on my third OEM clutch and I have pretty much forgotten what the original clutch was like. The clutch in the car now, supposedly the same as the original, is a far different and better clutch. The clutch the car came with new didn't like to be slipped and was prone to chatter in 1st gear. So, maybe this is what you are encountering.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm on my third OEM clutch and I have pretty much forgotten what the original clutch was like. The clutch in the car now, supposedly the same as the original, is a far different and better clutch. The clutch the car came with new didn't like to be slipped and was prone to chatter in 1st gear. So, maybe this is what you are encountering.
I went about 5 miles in the car this morning and it still finicky and then I just drove it about 20 more miles and it seems to be a lot better. Regardless I am going to take it to a shop this week to get looked over. I will probably end up doing a 60,000 mile service to the car because of time....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by redzfit
I went about 5 miles in the car this morning and it still finicky and then I just drove it about 20 more miles and it seems to be a lot better. Regardless I am going to take it to a shop this week to get looked over. I will probably end up doing a 60,000 mile service to the car because of time....
Good idea, 5 years or 60 K is what the service manuals says. Still, could just be you getting used to the car. Its never going to drive like a normal car. The car starts to reach a happy place around 100 mph.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Good idea, 5 years or 60 K is what the service manuals says. Still, could just be you getting used to the car. Its never going to drive like a normal car. The car starts to reach a happy place around 100 mph.
Haha, I do not want to push it yet until I have it looked at just to be safe. I forgot that I was somewhat local to road race engineering and will probably contact them to do the service and look it over...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How does the clutch feel when you're shifting through gears? Is it only on take off that it feels boggy? Honestly I think that's just the way Evo clutches are (minus the fact that you probably have to get used to it still). When I had OEM clutch I felt the same way. If I didn't take off around 2k RPMs the car would want to bog/buck.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Ah local to SoCal. Gus and the crew at RRE will take care of you 👍🏼.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by cts4g63
How does the clutch feel when you're shifting through gears? Is it only on take off that it feels boggy? Honestly I think that's just the way Evo clutches are (minus the fact that you probably have to get used to it still). When I had OEM clutch I felt the same way. If I didn't take off around 2k RPMs the car would want to bog/buck.
Shifting through gears the car feels great. I remember hearing when these caars first came out it was super easy to stall them...
Ah local to SoCal. Gus and the crew at RRE will take care of you Ÿ‘Ÿ.
I called them and talked to someone there and she said someone would call me back. They are booked about a full week out. I also reached out to Cobb SoCal so we will see. My work schedule makes it tough to get places during their normal hours...

Last edited by redzfit; Jun 19, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 05:59 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Stick with RRE please. COBB basically told me to get lost because they'll only work on the X last time when I contacted them.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 08:42 PM

Ah local to SoCal. Gus and the crew at RRE will take care of you 👍🏼.
Originally Posted by G20
Stick with RRE please. COBB basically told me to get lost because they'll only work on the X last time when I contacted them.
I just sent RRE an email
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:22 PM

Does it have a after market blow valve?

If so which one as this could be the problem,
Old Jul 2, 2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by barneyboo
Does it have a after market blow valve?

If so which one as this could be the problem,
No it's all stock. There is no issues now, I think it was just operator error on my part. Just a different clutch I needed to get used to....

Quick Reply: I just bought an Evo VIII w/ 30k Miles and I have some questions...