Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dead turbos and what to do

Old Sep 30, 2017, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dead turbos and what to do

I've got a MAP EF4 that gave up on life. The compressor wheel made a little contact with the compressor housing so the bearings are done. I didn't run an oil line from the oil filter housing so presumably it had oil availability issues, but I don't know.

I'd really like to [learn to] service this thing myself but I can't, for the life of me, find much information in the way of parts diagrams for these (or similar journal-bearing) turbos. I bought one of the popular rebuild kits with bearings and seals and would like to buy a new compressor wheel but I'm beginning to wonder if it's even practical for me to try and rebuilding it having no experience rebuilding a turbo, or if I should just part it out. I don't have any naive expectation that a DIY rebuild with one of these kits is going to give it anywhere close to it's original service life, but it sounds like a fun project.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here has done a DIY turbo rebuild and if so, what resources did you use to ensure everything was in spec? I'd be interested to hear from anyone's that's done this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
YouTube has some tutorials. I have had friends do the rebuild kits some were successful and others were not.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I highly suggest sending it in to Boostlab. Kirk did an amazing job on my 6466 rebuild and a 2 day turnaround time. Also, I have always run my turbos from the head, never had oiling issues.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I dont know much about rebuilding turbo’s other than the couple youtube videos I’ve seen rebuilding them as well as how they are made.

One question that arises in my mind is, dont you have to get it balanced again when rebuilding a turbo ? The turbo is balanced when made and since your taking it a part, replacing parts, putting back together etc.. doesn't the original balance get thrown off? If so, then you cant or you shouldn't re-build a turbo unless you have special tools to balance it.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I dont know much about rebuilding turbo’s other than the couple youtube videos I’ve seen rebuilding them as well as how they are made.

One question that arises in my mind is, dont you have to get it balanced again when rebuilding a turbo ? The turbo is balanced when made and since your taking it a part, replacing parts, putting back together etc.. doesn't the original balance get thrown off? If so, then you cant or you shouldn't re-build a turbo unless you have special tools to balance it.
You mark the nuts and wheel to realign during assembly using stock parts.

If you change wheels, then you have to get it balanced. Though several people get lucky.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another recommendation sending to boost labs.Rebuilt right and quick turn around time...