Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Great news everyone! (SRS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Just got a new letter (or a reminder letter because i never did it) for this recall
They might knock it back, check first
Old Oct 22, 2017, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow sure glad I STILL haven’t taken my car in for this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto. Thought that this was gonna come down way back then ...

Originally Posted by Pinknuts
Wow sure glad I STILL haven’t taken my car in for this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, so glad I replaced the original one over the summer.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Let's see, does Mitsubishi have any closer dealerships then last time I looked?

Round trips of 194 miles west, 218 miles north, or 264 miles east. I'll pass.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The issue is if you have a passenger and an accident you mught be held liable if they get injured by the airbag or if you sell it and its not done, you might get low offers for the car
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_latino999
Let's see, does Mitsubishi have any closer dealerships then last time I looked?

Round trips of 194 miles west, 218 miles north, or 264 miles east. I'll pass.
You have a Priority Group 2 vehicle in Zone B. Just get it done.

Last edited by aamoedo; Jul 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Just a heads-up/update:
This second-run recall is now live. All previously performed airbag recalls that used the old takata igniter for a replacement have been put on active recall finally to get the new composite igniter installed.
Letters have not started arriving yet on this, but should be out any day now.
All vehicles that previously had skipped the recall were already superseded to the new igniter recall prior to this thread starting and have been getting notifications already of course. This only applies to vehicles that already had the recall performed with the temporary fix igniter, the original reason for me posting this thread.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 04:54 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I do not intend on having this recall done. I will take my chances. In fact, I would like to permanently remove the component at risk, and use a resistor to fool the RCM into "thinking" it is there.

Has anyone managed to access the airbag without pulling the dash?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

You can't remove the airbag without removing the dash. However you can unplug it easily. Just open the glove box all the way and you'll see a yellow or red (depending on year) connector above it, center. Unplug it and the air bag is unplugged. Install a 2.5-3ohm resistor on the wire harness side to simulate a "good" bag and keep the light out. Cut the wires to attach it though, the connector has a self-shorting clip in it if it isn't plugged in. Don't turn the key in with it unplugged until you have the resistor in or it sets a fault that cannot readily be erased.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
I do not intend on having this recall done. I will take my chances. In fact, I would like to permanently remove the component at risk, and use a resistor to fool the RCM into "thinking" it is there.

Has anyone managed to access the airbag without pulling the dash?
Assuming if you ever sell your vehicle you're going to either disclose this, or put it all back together. Otherwise you're asking for a serious lawsuit. Just FYI.

Not sure why people don't just get this fixed for free, unless of course you never have passengers and/or it's a track only car. Anyone skipping on this is gonna feel like a real jerk if someone gets hurt because of this one day. To each his own though.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aamoedo
Assuming if you ever sell your vehicle you're going to either disclose this, or put it all back together. Otherwise you're asking for a serious lawsuit. Just FYI.

Not sure why people don't just get this fixed for free, unless of course you never have passengers and/or it's a track only car. Anyone skipping on this is gonna feel like a real jerk if someone gets hurt because of this one day. To each his own though.
Yeah, but this site it's full of drama-mamas, all with perfect showroom quality vehicles, and more knowledge about their car than anyone on the planet 🤣
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
How would we remove the airbag or igniter ? I took out the dashboard to modify for fitment of Virage 2din hvac top dash panel and decided to take a look at the condition of my passenger airbag. I have not done the recall yet.

From the pictures it looks to be in good condition. But I believe thats just the outer bracket and the igniter tube is inside it. On the right side there is a nut. Do we just unbolt and slide it out the left side?

Also how would we remove the entire airbag ? Do we have to completely take apart the underside of the top dash ?

Old Apr 28, 2018, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

^^ is what a non-us market vehicle or perhaps a replacement igniter? That looks like the 2002-2003 and 2007+ foreign market igniters.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
^^ is what a non-us market vehicle or perhaps a replacement igniter? That looks like the 2002-2003 and 2007+ foreign market igniters.
I own a US 2003 Evo 8 . I'm not sure sure if the airbag was ever replaced as I'm not the original owner.The title is clean and no signs of any accidents.

Quick Reply: Great news everyone! (SRS)