Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Great news everyone! (SRS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Great news everyone! (SRS)

Just kidding. We have to replace all those passenger air bags again.

Got the email yesterday about one that I did a few days ago, wanted to know if it was complete or not as the parts were no longer "good". If it wasn't done, hold it for new igniters; if it was done, ship it until time to replace again.

So essentially everyone that was on the list last time for an air bag replacement, you are going to be on it again. No new additions though (no 02-03's etc).

Enjoy.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:23 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
so your saying the replacement airbags are also faulty?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol are you serious? So glad I have yet to replace my original air bag...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Good - this time they can fix all the rattles from the last time around!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll just get an extra scatter shield and mount it on the dash
Old Oct 6, 2017, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The replacement bag igniters were identical takata igniters, no different than the originals. The purpose of the replacements was getting old, corroded/failed ignores out of there, as with age and humidity they became dangerous. The replacements were destined to do the same thing given enough time.
While the vehicles had the igniters replaced with now temporarily safe ones, Mitsubishi sourced a new supplier for the igniters that uses a different propellant that is not so susceptible to humidity corrosion.

For what it is worth, this is totally news to us too. We got an email the other day telling us to pull all recall igniters off the shelf and not to install any after 10/5/17 to wait for a new line of replacements. When the initial recall was done we knew these would be susceptible to the same issue as takata was just making more to replace the corroded ones, however we were never given any indication that another recall would follow.

​​​​​So yay.

Can't wait to do all those **** box ones that look like a chimpanzee with Downs syndrome did the gauge wiring etc all over again.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Biggest load of BS from Mitsu I have heard. Especially since the last and only time I let the dealer do work on my car was the recall and it was a fiasco--bulbs out in the dash--the tech loosened and twisted one of my gauges in the dash pod and then tightened it back up! Finally, there was the motor that mysteriously got a piece of blue shop cloth caught in the oil pick up???? yeah. Been working on cars 30yrs, not an accident.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I guess if you own a 2003 like me, most of those should by now be in the bone yard. So, no need for a recall.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
glad i just unplugged mine.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Same boat. Glad I unplugged mine and haven't got it replaced yet
Old Oct 9, 2017, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I guess if you own a 2003 like me, most of those should by now be in the bone yard. So, no need for a recall.
I guess we just hope it doesn't go off while driving
Old Oct 9, 2017, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can’t wait for the dealership to try to charge me extra again because my car is modified. That was a fun fight...

Anyone have any luck with Bay Area dealerships the first time around? Oakland was awful to deal with.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
if the wiring is standard under the dash there's no extra work. remove all your aftermarket gauges and such and then take it in
Old Oct 10, 2017, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the deal with airbag recalls lately??? I have been getting an email, letter in the mail or a phone call about once a week from BMW to replace the airbag on my 325XI wagon.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by No_boost4u
What's the deal with airbag recalls lately??? I have been getting an email, letter in the mail or a phone call about once a week from BMW to replace the airbag on my 325XI wagon.
If any dealership tries to charge anyone anything to perform this recall, call the relevant customer care line, make a huge deal out of it, and then have the work done for free. To be clear, and to address comments from last time, it shouldn't matter if it takes the dealership 8 hours to perform the recall. This is a safety issue, they need to do it for free, and your car needs to come back to you in perfect working condition. I've been removing my gauge pod and disconnecting my gauges to make it a little easier for them, but don't let them complain about "extra wiring" that they need to work around, which they tried to do with me. My gauges were professionally installed. I know what the wiring looks like under the dash. The dealerships need to take their time, and do the work right.

Last edited by aamoedo; Jul 29, 2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Great news everyone! (SRS)