Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AEM wideband, connect to ECU or serial?

Old Nov 29, 2017, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AEM wideband, connect to ECU or serial?

Hi everyone. My aem wideband turned up today. On my old LC2 it had a proper serial output, the AEM doesn't which means I'll have to cut up a serial cable, attach a few wires but then it should be all good. The other option is connecting the AEM to the ecu and taking the readings from there, but I'm not sure how easy that is. I'm just wondering if anyone uses either setup and which I should go for? I'm thinking serial as that's what i used on the lc2 and then wouldn't need to fiddle with the ecu?

any opinions appreciated
Old Nov 29, 2017, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I use serial cable. With a belkin converter from frys
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Ok cool. I've already got a converter from when I was using the innovate LC2. Can you give me a bit of info on how you've got it connected to the serial lead. Did you just buy a cable and strip it back and attach the wires or what? What's the least bodgy way to do It? Haha
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Simple enough to wire and log via ecu. Why even mess with an extra cable?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Got a bit more info on how to to it that way then please? I'm just looking for the easiest way to log
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2079034
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I purchased a plug with no wires and just soldered in my own. Its a db9 connector you need. And depending on what converter you have. You may need a female or male db9 depends on if your converter is male or female. Pretty simple. 2 wires. 1 from uego blue. And the other is just a ground. The worst part about it all is just setting up the laptop. But not hard at all
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, cheers for that. I'm assuming the laptop setup will be straightforward as I was already using an LC2 with evoscan. It killed 2 sensors in about 30 hours of driving/mapping so I sent it back and switched for the AEM. Hopefully I have more luck with this!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Wiring it to the evu to log is the easiest IMO. There is a good writeup on here and you wire it into the rear o2 sensor circuit after turning it off. If youre competent with Evoscan and basic wiring I think its the better means to go about doing this and simpler vs serial adapter and drivers n software and all this other jazz.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

I just read the thread on it but I'm not sure going into the ecu is easier tbh. That means splicing the wire from the AEM into a wire tucked away under the carpet by the seat, then messing with ecuflash and evoscan to make it read properly, and I could need to adjust some values to get an accurate reading. If I go serial I just plug the wire from the AEM into a serial port, earth the serial port, and then I'm good to go. Maybe if I didn't already have the serial to usb converter ready to go then the ecu way would be better, but I'm thinking serial is the way for me
Old Nov 29, 2017, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if you already have the serial to USB converter then just stick with it. I logged mine in the past that way then decided to sell the cable and wire it to my ECU. Really was straight forward not as intimidating as it sounds. Only annoying part in my case is I have to pull the wire out every year when I get my car inspected as I need to turn back on my rear o2.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 02:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
well technically the less you are logging from the ECU the faster your logging will be, so if you have a choice then the serial cable would allow for faster sampling of other data from the ecu. I have mine wired into the ECU for standalone tactrix 2.0 logging and Tephra afr safety features, but when im doing a tuning session with my laptop i use the serial cable.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Technically that is correct but how much of a different are we talking here? When Im logging its not like I have every single box checked of. Typically for me its just TPS, RPM, timing, 2byte load, 4bar, knocksum, AFR and maybe some other small things Im not thinking of off the top of my head.

Guess what Im getting at is the extra granularity useful? I honestly don't know so not trying to come across as argumentative.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 03:18 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Umm I think the answer to your question is relative. The sampling rate is fixed, so the fewer different samples you are requesting the sooner you will get updated samples. So if your logging 5 things and reduce it to 4 then I would expect a 20% increase in logging speed (sample update rate). How much resolution you need will depend on what your trying to tune and how fast you are advancing through the RPM range. You could move to a higher gear to slow things down, but that introduces its own issues and isn't helpful when trying to tune certain things. So its basically relative to what you are doing and what your working with.

P.S. 2-byte load counts as 2 samples, which is why Tephra introduced his 1 byte load mod.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Lol maybe Im using 1 byte load then. My buddy does my tuning so Im sheltered for the most part from that. I ask the questions out of curiosity but he's the smart one thankfully not me!

I see your point however, it was more a question of well, sure its faster in theory but is it something that is measurable? That I do not know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM wideband, connect to ECU or serial?