Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possible IX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 02:35 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by iLLevo_
Easy. I did it a year ago.. there are 1 owner Evo’s out there
I think "easy" is a strong word. We'll go with "possible".

Old Dec 15, 2017, 06:30 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by enjoitheride
Hi, Everyone

I am possibly looking at getting an Evo. This might sound crazy, but I bought an 18 STi a month ago, and I might get rid of it for the Evo. I have always loved the Evo, and I keep leaning towards it.

However, I want to ask a few questions. First, this would be a daily driver, and I am fine with that. I have been in many, and it does not bother me. The car is an MR, one owner with 34k miles. All stock besides coilovers.

My question is, how is parts availability for these? It honestly will probably stay stock, as I am just that type of person. I am more concerned about parts down the road. Mainly OEM stuff. If I need a fuel pump, or window switch, or something mechanical for the car. Will I be able to purchase them new?

Anyhow, I appreciate any feedback!

THanks, guys!
I'm a little confused at the daily driver comment - did you mean it's not comfortable or something? I got mine (9MR) brand new in Jan 2007, had three kids since then (first kid in 2007, so definitely raised them all while this was the family car), and only got a new family car last year (M3) because I blew the engine and didn't want to wait on the engine build. I didn't want to compromise on performance even when hauling the family around. Wife drove it every day with no issues (and she loves it).

Not sure why you made it sound like daily driving it is a sacrifice.. On stock MR suspension it rides pretty awesome. Maybe you've only been in ones with the suspension modified? Cheaper coils or aggressive setups can be harsh, but the Evo, especially the MR, is just as good as any car for DD. I actually have a WRX too, and that I'm definitely getting rid of soon.. Had it for about a year and I actually hate it. My first Subie and it was a bad idea getting it.

Thanks!

S.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I think "easy" is a strong word. We'll go with "possible".

Agreed, and the likelihood only decreases with each day. That cliche low mileage, bone stock, clean title, single owner, never raced Evo gets harder and harder to find.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I would stick with the STI if you are looking for a daily (or consider a X over a VIII/IX). You are going to give up a lot of comfort daily driving an Evo IX. They are raw sports cars, and that is what makes them so fun, but I have been dailying my IX for over two years now and am starting to get the itch to move to something a bit more practical (and I am a single, mid 20 year old kid with no children). I would say an Evo IX would serve as a perfect second/weekend/nice weather car, but I would seriously consider buying one for daily purposes, especially if you already have a brand new STI.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cts4g63
Personally, I would stick with the STI if you are looking for a daily (or consider a X over a VIII/IX). You are going to give up a lot of comfort daily driving an Evo IX. They are raw sports cars, and that is what makes them so fun, but I have been dailying my IX for over two years now and am starting to get the itch to move to something a bit more practical (and I am a single, mid 20 year old kid with no children). I would say an Evo IX would serve as a perfect second/weekend/nice weather car, but I would seriously consider buying one for daily purposes, especially if you already have a brand new STI.
Is yours modded much? I’ve been daily driving an Evo IX for almost twelve years, and I’ve never had the itch. I’ve thought about getting another car but not because I couldn’t handle DDing.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 08:44 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
TBH its gonna take a law or a wreck to get me out of my VIII
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:08 AM
kaj

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by cts4g63
I dunno. I have daily driven IXs for about six years (I no longer do because "race car").

OP: I found them to be the perfect car for me: I could throw a car seat in the back to drive the kiddo around, then go do track days on the weekends. The car could make 300whp or 500whp and still do all this with ease. I didn't find the suspension to be too stiff or the car too noisy.
HIDs are nice, along with actual fog light bulbs to use in the fog light location. You can install a nice sounding stereo, with all that room. There's even cup holders and a place to stow your sunglasses.
I would have appreciated cruise control, though.
You get all wheel drive in the winter, if you drive in inclement weather. You get a moonroof, with certain models.
If you want a car that can do everything well, it's hard to beat an VIII or IX. I'm 43yrs old now and don't have any problems driving mine, even now (it's stripped down, loud, and doesn't ride too cushy LOL).

If you want luxury items, then that's another story. But I assume most people that buy an Evo aren't looking for any of that.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Is yours modded much? I’ve been daily driving an Evo IX for almost twelve years, and I’ve never had the itch. I’ve thought about getting another car but not because I couldn’t handle DDing.
Just full bolt on @ 25psi, makes 293whp.

There are just a couple "creature comforts" that I desire, but obviously weren't enough to dissuade me from purchasing the Evo. Cruise control, heated front seats, foldable rear seat, automatic windows (other than driver), sunroof, beefed up sound deadening, quality plastic interior panels that don't squeak/rattle like crazy, etc. Again, a lot of this is personal preference, and there is nothing I would rather drive everyday than my Evo, but to say that I've never gotten the itch to try something different in the last two years would mean I was lying.

Other than creature comforts this car has every thing I'm looking for - turbo, AWD, manual, modable, and a timeless body style. You're just not going to fund much that ticks all of those boxes for sub $20k these days. Not to mention that after owning a B5 S4 for over 5 years, working on the Evo is like working on a toy. It is so easy to do routine maintenance it makes me never want to buy another German car (I will).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I couldnt see having a hard time finding parts, the 4g63 was used in boatloads of cars, so there there plenty of parts available, and most of the mechanical items like the ones you listed except for the fuel pump, (i would imagine) would be the same between an evo and a standard lancer, and yet again, there are oodles of lancers out there...
Old Dec 23, 2017, 05:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by enjoitheride
Hi, Everyone

I am possibly looking at getting an Evo. This might sound crazy, but I bought an 18 STi a month ago, and I might get rid of it for the Evo. I have always loved the Evo, and I keep leaning towards it.

However, I want to ask a few questions. First, this would be a daily driver, and I am fine with that. I have been in many, and it does not bother me. The car is an MR, one owner with 34k miles. All stock besides coilovers.

My question is, how is parts availability for these? It honestly will probably stay stock, as I am just that type of person. I am more concerned about parts down the road. Mainly OEM stuff. If I need a fuel pump, or window switch, or something mechanical for the car. Will I be able to purchase them new?

Anyhow, I appreciate any feedback!

THanks, guys!
To answer your direct question - most dealers are probably not going to have stuff in stock except for the basics, oil filters, that sort of thing. I've been able to get anything I need from STM but it does sometimes take a couple of weeks. This is not my daily, and the parts I've needed haven't been "it won't run without this" type parts, so I don't care. The parts still exist though... it's not like my Saabaru where they don't make the hoods anymore.

A one owner MR that's still 99% stock is a rare bird and if you don't like it, you will probably be able to sell it pretty easily. I bought mine almost 7 years ago (at the time, one owner and 26k) and it's hardly dropped in value since then. There are so many "projects" for sale out there.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its fairly easy to find new parts. paying for brand new oem is another question.