Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In dash double din w ability to view Evo scan and listen to music/radio?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverflyer
I went with the Intel NUC because it can take a SSD and easily add RAM. I can also easily solder the power switch lead so that the pc can auto start/shutdown when the car turns on/off. The NUC is cheap used. Its still a very powerful little computer and good enough for a car pc. Also the double din is touch screen which is nice. I'm hoping the whole setup with weigh under 4lbs which is how much the stock radio weighs.
Looks good so far. I'm assuming the nuc is going to be running windows. How would you handle the shutdown process?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Somebody re-cap all of this info. We have had a useful discussion here that is much needed. Do not let this thread die until we have got what we need. An in dash computer.. with a radio.. cd... dvd..Bluetooth..with a full running version of Microsoft Windows... completely compatible and up to date with the ability to run Evoscan with your tactrix cable plugged into the obd2 port and the usb end into the USB port on your carputer... I don't see what the issue is... no hacked up tablet hanging off the end of your dash... just a nice double din screen as big as we can fit
Old Jan 20, 2018, 08:28 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Nah what needs to happen is either tactrix or evoscan or somebody needs to come out with an app that will run on Android and or Linux, because **** windows and that **** house Microsoft that it came from
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Your Buggin biggie... with all due respect. Windows is the way to go imho.... all the way back to dos.. simple. Easy. Unzip file. Call it a day.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Iphone would be nice too.... Linux.... Android? That's who you want to be king? Sounds like a headache to me.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by iLLevo_
Your Buggin biggie... with all due respect. Windows is the way to go imho.... all the way back to dos.. simple. Easy. Unzip file. Call it a day.
I don't want to derail this thread too hard with a wall of text, so I'll just make a claim from authority. I have 15 years of I.T./info sec experience and your wrong.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

I have quite a bit of IT background myself. I hear what your saying.. I get that Linux is loved by many..most career IT guys like yourself rave about it... for many years... I ran into the red hat guys in Vegas when my company sent me out for a data center seminar... but what we need is stability.. in choice of format... I believe windows or iPhone is a safe bet... but to each his own. I'll bow out out of respect.. I see you post all the time and your quite knowledgeable. All good.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by iLLevo_
I have quite a bit of IT background myself. I hear what your saying.. I get that Linux is loved by many..most career IT guys like yourself rave about it... for many years... I ran into the red hat guys in Vegas when my company sent me out for a data center seminar... but what we need is stability.. in choice of format... I believe windows or iPhone is a safe bet... but to each his own. I'll bow out out of respect.. I see you post all the time and your quite knowledgeable. All good.
Sorry for being so blunt, you seem pretty cool and I'm use to getting into pretty heated discussions with people over this stuff so sorry for that. I'll just point to the fact that mfg's don't put windows in any mobile platforms for a good reason, even the Microsoft attempts at a Windows phone failed misserably. This wasn't just because of bad luck.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 09:40 AM

I agree completely though that this shouldn't be so difficult to pull off, my own attempts at a Windows based tablet/evoscan solution failed, with probably close to 100 hours invested. The big problem is windows won't run on arm processors so you can't get a decent spec'd windows tablet for less then 500 bucks. Windows being so bloated it just doesn't run well on the lower cost stuff.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I should have my setup running soon. Mostly just waiting on all the parts to come in to finish the project. When I finish I will try and write a detailed post. I’m still finalizing on the project so I don’t want to post till I get it all together.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lets not bring an OS Prejudice into this discussion. For the stated purpose of running evoscan on an in-dash screen, there really is only one choice.

That being said, I really like the idea of a NUC driving a touch screen. If that is a realistic option, you could run any OS you wish on it, Windows, Android x86, *nix, or even Hackintosh (assuming drivers are available for the touchscreen.)

I've been looking for a replacement to my old EVOScan GPS unit and so far no combination of device/os has been a suitable replacement. I've tried several combinations and the closest has been an old WinBook tablet running Win10; Unfortunately it is constrained by a 16Gb drive and slow performance. Unfortunately Hammish seems to have dropped support for EVODroid - never mind that it is half-baked and doesn't support flashing the ECU. I have an EVODroid and it is pretty clunky in comparison to my old GPSNav unit. I keep looking at http://e3io.com/carpc thinking I should just buy one of their units. Then I look at the price and think I can find a better solution

Looking forward to reading about positive progress on this idea

John-

Originally Posted by silverflyer
I should have my setup running soon. Mostly just waiting on all the parts to come in to finish the project. When I finish I will try and write a detailed post. I’m still finalizing on the project so I don’t want to post till I get it all together.

Really curious about the components you chose for this adventure.
Attached Thumbnails In dash double din w ability to view Evo scan and listen to music/radio?-evoscannavigator02-800x479-.jpg  
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:53 AM

I kinda feel like a dick now so I'm going to get into the weeds a little bit here, op please forgive me. Linux and to a large extent android are embedded operating systems. They where designed to be able to be configured in such a way as to work with very specific hardware in a very stable fasion. All your devices are running *nix based operating systems. Windows is not, it's running all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with what you are trying to do and there is no easy way to deal with that. You could go in and try and mess with the registry but because windows is not open source you will never have the level of control you have over what the OS is doing, or how it's using the hardware as you will with the *nix operating systems. Slowly over time windows is becoming more *nix like, because it's better. Also let's say you spend all that time making windows optimal as you can for your application, then Microsoft comes out with an update that screws all that up, and you basically have no options at that point but to start over. In *nix you have very fine control over every piece of software that is running and can choose not to upgrade some very specific thing that you need to stay the same, while still keeping everything else up to date. This is really just the tip of the iceberg but from a very high level one of the most important take aways is Microsoft is closed source, it's their playground that you have to work inside of, Linux is a playground that you get to design/choose every aspect of.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
http://www.defi-shop.com/products/sm...y_smart_adp_w/
Defi just came out with a "Smart Adapter" unit that interfaces between a standard OBD-II port and their link system and can wirelessly display the data on either an Android or iOS system. I'm looking at pairing it up with an ATOTO Double Din Android head unit from Amazon. The Defi App is free and allows for customization of gauge placement, unit type, colors, and warning values.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 08:32 AM

Problem with that is its an iso-can device, our cars are pre canbus so the adapter we need has to support iso9141, and mut3 specifically
Old Jan 21, 2018, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Well said.. all good! Very informative! Biggie/John

Quick Reply: In dash double din w ability to view Evo scan and listen to music/radio?