Competition Stage 3.5 Clutch? Or Act HDSS? Or? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Competition Stage 3.5 Clutch? Or Act HDSS? Or?

Old Jan 11, 2018, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member
Competition Stage 3.5 Clutch? Or Act HDSS? Or?

Lets talk power goals first. No more than 500hp and 450tq (at the crank). HDSS is rated for 497tq, Comp 3.5 is rated for 525tq i believe. Plan to daily it with occasional spirited driving.

Sticking with a single plate clutch, twin plate is out of my budget id say.

Now the question. Which is more reliable? I am leaning towards the Comp because of the higher torque rating and price. BUT. I cant seem to find much info on it as to whether or not it is a long lasting clutch. The older stage 3 seems to be garbage, but the updated stage 3 (also called the 3.5) has the segmented ceramic coating and I've read mixed reviews on it. (most of which are 3+ year old reviews)

I'd like your updated opinions. Maybe there are other single plate discs i can go with?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member
I have the CC 3.5, I love it.

3k miles on it so far, so I can't speak to longevity, but it shifts smooth and holds power great.

The few launches I've done, it's grabbed instantly.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member
I've got a comp stage 4. I really like it, barely more stiff than the exedy stage 1 I had before but it is much more grabby. Handles 5+ back to back launches at the strip without issue.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member
I've heard ACT XTSS are pretty good for a single disk
Old Feb 8, 2018, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member
I’m in the same boat, but just ordered the HDSS due to a negative experience with the CCI solid disk stage 2 that ER was promoting. The alleged on/off drivability I’ve read about on the CCi 3.5 and unknown durability also were flags.

I didn’t like the female spline interface on the stage 2 disk which was like 2/3 the length of stock. This just loads the input shaft. Hated the drivetrain noise of the solid disk, felt like the car has developed rattles that I’d otherwise not have. And there was chatter for a long time that stopped about when I’d reached the service life of the disk. That said, it’s still not slipping and I’m way beyond worn. Never slipped during HPDE either where it was getting 20 min sessions back to back, 5x a day. That’s a lot of drag pass equivalents.

Really hoping the HDSS doesn’t suck.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member
My last two were CCI 3.5 sprung centers. I got 40k+ miles from each. Very pleased with performance and durability at 475WHP/400WTQ.
Old Today, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member
So quick reply on the HDSS - I've fallen in love with my car again...!
It drives like (I remember) stock. Smooth engagement, great pedal, zero noise. I can't even explain how much I hated the negative impact the solid disk did to the daily driveability of the car; rattle, chatter, drivetrain lash. It just sucked. And didn't even really shift any better.

Back to the facts:
Had the CCi s2 in since Nov '13. When pulled apart Feb '18 there was plenty of material left, so not worn in any significant way.
The car makes mid 300's, but gets lots of HPDE.
Packaging and presentation of the ACT is better than the CCi. The clutch components look better and appear to have better build quality. The kit comes with grease for the splines and TO bearing slides.
Break-in for the HDSS was ~30 miles gentile around town, 240 miles on the freeway to Laguna, then straight into 8x20min sessions on track with no mercy.
I did miss a couple 3-4th gear shifts, and yes I've adjusted the master/slave for max travel. For all the other trade-off's, I'll take an occasionally slower shift.
Two weeks later, the clutch still feels awesome.

My feeling is that most people think they need more turbo and clutch than they really do to have the best experience. Might be something to consider.
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member
My vote is always for ACT. I've been using them in various cars since 2001 and never have a problem. Once... ONCE I tried an Exedy but it shattered on me. In my experience, anything that is sold in a "stage" just seems to kinda suck. Coincidence,