Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
HID headlight bulb

This might not be the right place for this topic, but I have a HID headlight bulb going out and I'm in search of a part number so that I don't have to tear the front clip off the car as it's 15° and snowing outside.

The car has a DDM Tuning HID kit. I am asking if anyone knows if these kits use OEM HID bulbs or if anyone could point me in the right direction to locate the proper bulb. I initiated a chat with DDM and they sent me a link to Sylvania's part locator, but there is no option for an Evo 9 GSR with aftermarket HIDs and I'd like not to just "spray and pray" on ordering a new bulb if I don't have to.

Is it possibly cheaper and easier to just buy an entirely new kit? I'd probably go with LED and it seems like I can get a new kit for $75-$100 versus an HID bulb that runs about $125 per bulb.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Do you have HID headlights or halogens? The actual headlamp housing

HID's use D2S

Halogens use 9006

You'll have to find out what ballast plug DDM uses and order the appropriate bulb with the appropriate ballast connector
Old Dec 14, 2017, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have factory HIDs and they seem to still be working fine after 14 years. So, what does a bulb do when it is starting to go out?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:19 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I have factory HIDs and they seem to still be working fine after 14 years. So, what does a bulb do when it is starting to go out?
It's dimmer. Mine are also from 2004 and now they're dimmer. I have the new bulbs but reluctant to replace since they're still working, just dimmer than they used to be.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Do you have HID headlights or halogens? The actual headlamp housing

HID's use D2S

Halogens use 9006

You'll have to find out what ballast plug DDM uses and order the appropriate bulb with the appropriate ballast connector
It's a GSR so it did not come with HIDs from the factory, so I can assume it is halogen.

A DDM rep sent me here. From there I looked up a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer -- headlight low beam -- Evolution with halogen capsul headlamps -- and I end up with these. I am not sure how to know if these will work with DDM specific ballast connectors though.

I am assuming because DDM sent me to the Sylvania bulb lookup that they should work, but I'd hate to get the front clip torn apart only to find out they don't work...

Originally Posted by barneyb
Originally Posted by G20
It's dimmer. Mine are also from 2004 and now they're dimmer. I have the new bulbs but reluctant to replace since they're still working, just dimmer than they used to be.
When an HID bulb starts to go it will turn a pinkish hue. But before that you should start to notice slight dimming in one versus the other.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the HID (DS2), can we just get any DS2 bulbs for plug and play?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
D2S, and yes