Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how do you ship out of state Long / Short Block?

Old Feb 19, 2018, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
how do you ship out of state Long / Short Block?

Hello team,

How do you ship your short / long block out of state?

im in California, and im buying a 4g64 short block from Florida.

Need insights for safe shipping.

thanks
Old Feb 19, 2018, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Freight shipping specifically LTL. I just shipped a short block a couple weeks ago to English Racing aka across the country. I used the site uship.com to book it. I shrink wrapped the block then grabbed a pallet put down a couple towels on the bottom to help cushion it then used ratchet straps to secure it to the pallet. If youre shipping a short block Im told to not rest it on the girdle but rather lay it on the deck side. Worked out quite well.

Speaking of which I just grabbed another pallet and I need to send out a trans and xcase to TRE this week. I plan to use the same method as I did prior. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
This is what I wanted to hear. thanks man!

For the block to English racing, how much did they charge you?
Also, did they pick up and to be deliver to your residential Address?

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Freight shipping specifically LTL. I just shipped a short block a couple weeks ago to English Racing aka across the country. I used the site uship.com to book it. I shrink wrapped the block then grabbed a pallet put down a couple towels on the bottom to help cushion it then used ratchet straps to secure it to the pallet. If youre shipping a short block Im told to not rest it on the girdle but rather lay it on the deck side. Worked out quite well.

Speaking of which I just grabbed another pallet and I need to send out a trans and xcase to TRE this week. I plan to use the same method as I did prior. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe

How much did it cost you to send if you dont mind me asking?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Freight Shipping. The longblock can also be bolted to a metal tube brace which is then put on top of a pallet to make it easy for shippers to move around with a pallet jack.

Make sure that you get insurance to cover the full value of the shipment.

4g64 engines are easy to find at my local junkyard.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It cost me $230 to ship it from MA to WA. I added insurance too so that price was inclusive of that...

The cool thing with that site is you can play around with the specs and see how the price changes. I found that by shipping it from a commercial address vs residential it was $50 cheaper. Also, liftgate service was another $50. So my quote was from commercial address, and no liftgate as I figured I could just have a buddy run out to the parking lot with me to lift it into the truck.

Im sitting here at work again today waiting for a truck to come pickup my trans and xcase. This cost me $210 including insurance to go from MA to MI.

One thing to keep in mind and I feel like people forget this but it was important to me. There are certain things you can ship with normal services like throwing a xcase into a box and it might even be cheaper. But strapping large items to a pallet and using freight shipping gives me piece of mind that the items will arrive in 1 piece and that to me is important.