Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coolant "Leak" Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant "Leak" Question

So before I overthink all this and do more work than necessary, I wanted to get your thoughts on this little problem!

My Evo 9 has been somewhat stationary for the last few months with the occasional drive. I typically just start it every couple of days to keep the fluids moving.

This weekend I popped the hood and noticed a slight build up of dried coolant under the radiator cap and slightly at the seam of where the larger hose attaches to the radiator (the "s" shaped one. I popped off the cap to see that the fluid wasn't filled to the neck, but I could see it at the top of the fins (looking down in). I checked the overfill reservoir and it was about 1/2 inch filled from the bottom. There is no leaks of any sort anywhere else.

Would this be a sign that I replace the cap? if so, can I top off the fluid for now or do I need to top it off and burp the system with a funnel, etc. Or can I clean out my overfill and fill it partially with new fluid? Forgive my lack of experience with this, coolant is the one thing I haven't ventured into yet
Old Feb 12, 2018, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Yes, a new cap.
Yes, you can top off the radiator with 50/50 mix. The system only needs purged of air when drained.
Yes, clean and fill the reservoir.
The following users liked this post:
AllDayAnthony (Feb 12, 2018)
Old Feb 12, 2018, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Yes, a new cap.
Yes, you can top off the radiator with 50/50 mix. The system only needs purged of air when drained.
Yes, clean and fill the reservoir.
That's good news! Should I fill the radiator or the reservoir? Or both? Do I fill the res to the minimum mark?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 08:33 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The system only needs purged of air when drained.

Makes no sense.

You mean purged of air when filled.

They purge themselves when the head gasket isn't leaking.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Fill the radiator and fill the jug to the full mark.

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Makes no sense.

You mean purged of air when filled.

They purge themselves when the head gasket isn't leaking.
When drained and refilled a large amount of air is trapped under the thermostat until the thermostat opens. Then the level of coolant in the radiator falls until no coolant is visible in the radiator. I never bothered to measure the volume but a fair amount of coolant can then be added.

Just driving the vehicle in this condition means driving with a partially filled cooling system. Yes, the system will nurse off of the reservoir at the first cool down but will probably empty the jug before the radiator is full. This means refilling the jug again and the radiator is still not full. The maker intended for the radiator to be full so start off that way.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thermostats have a bleed hole in them.

It's to let the air out and the coolant in.

If it doesn't have a bleed hole, it's the wrong one.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

This information is specific to the 4g63 engine. Yes the thermostat has a bleed hole and yes the thermostat traps a large amount of air regardless. Upon initial coolant fill and as the engine is idled, small bubbles will appear at the filler. These are from the bleed hole. However, the engine still contains a large amount of air. That is why Mitsubishi recommends the use of a funnel that connects to the filler. The air expands as the engine warms forcing coolant out that would otherwise be lost. When the thermostat finally opens the coolant in the funnel disappears and the remainder of the air is expelled. Fill and cap and you are finished.