Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Low mileage ‘06 MR and Maintenance?

Old Feb 23, 2018, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Low mileage ‘06 MR and Maintenance?

I am looking at an ‘06 Evo IX MR tomorrow. The car has only 30,000 original miles on it. It is for sale on these forums.

To my knowledge and that of the current owner (I would be the 4th if I go through with the sale), only basic maintenance has been done. The car only has bolt ones and a somewhat safe remote tune. It has been very well cared for otherwise and appears to be flawless.

Should I be concerned with having to do the 60k maintenance ASAP?

Or is it not really necessary?

Or what should I look out for maintenance wise?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
If you are going to spend top dollar for a low mileage Evo, I would spend the extra money doing a timing belt/balance shaft belt change at the very least. If the fluids haven't been changed, I would certainly do that as well. The car is 12years old after all.

In hindsight, once all that is done, you should be able to enjoy the car for years to come with only basic maintenance. Just my .02 worth. Happy boosting!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63Rules
If you are going to spend top dollar for a low mileage Evo, I would spend the extra money doing a timing belt/balance shaft belt change at the very least. If the fluids haven't been changed, I would certainly do that as well. The car is 12years old after all.

In hindsight, once all that is done, you should be able to enjoy the car for years to come with only basic maintenance. Just my .02 worth. Happy boosting!
Thank you and I agree. I was a bit disappointed to find out that there was no record of prior maintenance. I had a very low mileage 2010 Evo X and still did major fluids and maintenance regardless. Same with all my prior Subarus.

For what it’s worth, it’s this car: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...30k-miles.html

Owner is very nice and answered all questions and is somewhat flexible. The car was a garage queen most of it’s life and appears to be rust free.

I’m just not sure if paying what he wants and then on top of that almost 2 grand for maintenance is worthwhile.

Especially for a car that Blue Books nearly 8 to 10 grand less than his asking price.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
According to the service manual, this car is at its second major service interval - 6 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

A note on why changing fluids is important: I was watching an expert set up a rear differential for a 60's era show car. You could see rust marks where every roller in the bearings had sat. Driving the car would have heated and dried the lubricant.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I've seen the car in the classifieds, and I agree that paying top dollar plus doing all that work doesn't sound feasible. I would definitely try negotiating that into the deal. At least offer what you think is fair for the car plus see if he would be willing to go 1/2 for the maintenance. It's worth a try.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

You are pretty much confirming my thoughts. Current owner purchased the car with 27,500 miles about a year and a half ago. So who really knows what the prior owners did. I would assume something but nothing showed on the Carfax (not that it always does).
Old Feb 23, 2018, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Belts are the most critical thing on these cars if there is no proof then it will need to be done just in case, if you can negotiate a price back from that then try. The last thing you want is to throw a belt at revs and do the motor

Debadged on the back can mean a rear end accident too

Last edited by Jonno99; Feb 23, 2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Belts are the most critical thing on these cars if there is no proof then it will need to be done just in case, if you can negotiate a price back from that then try. The last thing you want is to throw a belt at revs and do the motor

Debadged on the back can mean a rear end accident too
I already got a quote to do the belts, fluids etc.. Will be $$$ for sure

I debadge my last Evo. Though not entirely. Carfax is clean. Though the missing VIN tag on the front bumper concerns me. Supposedly it was removed when the bumper was painted to remove the plate holes
Old Feb 24, 2018, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my 06 IX MR a few years ago with around 33k miles on it.
The car was basically stock...It did have records for fluid changes and other minor maintenance performed but that was it.

So, I promptly scheduled the 60k for piece of mind. The old timing belt still looked great but I’m glad I took care of it when I did.

Flash forward a few years and 10k hard miles. Never a single issue with the car.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

In AU we would easy pay 30k USD which would be 36k AUD for a low miledge evo. The US is catching us up slowly but you guys have the power of choice but as they get rarer choice is soon limited and as they say its worth as much as you are prepared to pay, after this one goes ill be looking for a good second hand M2, which i think is one of the last cars that still has the essence of driver to road relationship
Old Feb 24, 2018, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

So we decided not to meet up today since I indicated that I was unable to make a decision today without obtaining more quotes for the required maintenance so that I know what im in for. I guess that I am having my reservations as to paying even the lowest that he would go, which was fair, and then 1.5 to 2k on top for the 60k service.

Am I wrong for thinking that for top dollar, that regardless of miles, care, and supposedly impeccable condition, that traditional maintenance should have been done and documented, besides oil changes?

Maybe its my OCD...

Maybe im just looking for an excuse out of it since its the 6 speed...

The seller has been top notch though.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

In the end you need to go with your gut instinct, i checked out about 6 before blacky called me to come rescue him
Old Feb 25, 2018, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you want low mileage. You have to pay....

If not look for higher mileage, and save a couple grand
Old Feb 25, 2018, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dookgvr4
If you want low mileage. You have to pay....

If not look for higher mileage, and save a couple grand
Fully aware of this. I got premium dollar for my low mileage Evo X. Priced it as firm and less than a week later it was sold. Albeit one owner, maintained, and documented. I more than have the money to spend, but also dont want to overpay These cars are tough to value, especially consideting the blue book on the car is $19k. Thats also the valuation that insurance will give if the car is totalled. Honestly, in many cases a well maintained higher milage car will be more reliable. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts that the car is what the current owner is claiming. It is probably one of the cleanest for sale in the country.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess what I was saying is me personally... I do not think maintenance records is a deal breaker. And I am not so sure that timing belt would be in dire need of being done. That is my opinion

With threat being said... the service is very easy to do with the proper tools, and a little YouTube.

The car is in good shape, so it will be easy to work on.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low mileage ‘06 MR and Maintenance?