Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR w/175k Miles - Rebuild or..?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo IX MR w/175k Miles - Rebuild or..?

I recently had a compression test done on my stock w/ TBE IX MR in preparation for a tune, and the news was a real kick in the nuts, as the numbers came back with 120-130 in Cylinders 1,2,3 and Cylinder 4 coming in a 60 Psi.

The shop then took a closer inspection with a boroscope, and found that there were large amounts of carbon build up on the valves, and the head would need to be pulled and rebuilt. While they were in there, they also took a look at the cylinder wear, and based on the cross-hatching (or lack of thereof) they believe the rings are likely shot as well.

Leading into my conundrum: Spend another 8-9k rebuilding the head and dropping in an OEM shortblock or...? (selling it would be an option)

To give some background, I picked up this car about 2 years ago with 165k on the clock in rough condition (non-working headlights, primered paint) all in all, I've spent around 20k on the purchase/restoring the car and doing various upgrades along the way, so another 9k would make this car a financial black hole. I'm currently laying off the WOT for fear of burning a valve given the low compression in Cylinder 4. The tranny has a consistent grind/knotchyness even after filling with fresh MT-90, and I'm kind of thinking, even if I did refresh the engine, how much longer would the tranny/ACD pump/other drivetrain last you know? Is it time to let this thing go and use the 9k as a downpayment on something else?

Feel free to share some thoughts, attached are some pics from our time together so far!

old IC

new ic

fresh paint

fresh paint
Old May 13, 2018, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Maybe get a second opinion? I think it's important that you do both a leak down and compression test. A leak down test can be more effective in identifying damaged/leaky components.

You already spent money fixing/painting the car so it would be hard to get that money back when you will sell it.

Since the mileage on this Evo IX MR is high collectors won't be looking to buy it. This means the younger crowd will be more attracted to this car depending on the price.

Let's say you fix the engine and put it up for sale. I think the max you could get for your Evo would be 21k.
Old May 14, 2018, 03:56 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
175k and 12 years is a lot of use, so you have to expect the car is going to be needing everything that hasn’t already been done if you want to keep it on the road.

Find yourself some local Evo friends who turn wrenches. You can replace that engine for substantially less than $9000.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Lets see, price or payment for a new well equipped car with the sporty cred of an Evo + sales tax + property tax + plus plates + insurance plus all you are going to have to do to keep that first door ding from happening vs fixing yours.

My 15 year old evo got a new transmission and clutch last year. It shifted fine but had a vibration in 5th. It eventually was going to break so fix it now. I also replaced the propeller shaft while in there. Then I went after as many rubber parts as I could afford. Finally, this spring, all new pads and rotors.

We're moving out of the modification era and into the preservation era. If you don't like doing that then trade.
Old May 14, 2018, 01:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
cars are money pits, your just trading one for another. What's better, the money pit you know, or the one you don't
The following 2 users liked this post by Biggiesacks:
barneyb (May 14, 2018), Pal215 (May 14, 2018)
Old May 14, 2018, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Is the missing cross hatch in cylinder 4 or all 4?