Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 Tank Not Filling Completely

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 Tank Not Filling Completely

So I recently bought my first Evo around a month and a half ago (Evo 9 MR), and ever since the day I bought it, it would only fill up to about 9 gallons worth of fuel. This is when I start at empty. I’ve read online that the tank should be about 14 gallons, so what’s going on?

Thanks,
William
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey William. Welcome aboard & thanks for joining us

May not be an issue. There is always a couple of gallons left in the tank & it may show close to empty

Being that you just bought it, you many want to pull the pump (under the rear pass seat) & see if pump has been upgraded & that the white plastic carriage assy looks OK (including the sending unit & float for the level)

Joe
Old Jun 10, 2018, 04:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Today was my last run on E85, so i ran the tank to E & ran it further with the fuel light on for a few continued miles

Filled up w/13 even gallons of 91
Old Jun 11, 2018, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by WayOfWilliam
So I recently bought my first Evo around a month and a half ago (Evo 9 MR), and ever since the day I bought it, it would only fill up to about 9 gallons worth of fuel. This is when I start at empty. I’ve read online that the tank should be about 14 gallons, so what’s going on?

Thanks,
William
what does the fuel gauge show after filling the tank? 3/4s? above F? my fuel gauge goes to above F after filling, and I've gotten in 13.5 gals at times (when really pushing it). I had a different car that I just could not get to fuel up all the way. It was very frustrating. Possibly something to do with evap lines or charcoal canisters or some other gibberish that I never got to the bottom of. dunno if those things apply to the evo also, but good luck.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
what does the fuel gauge show after filling the tank? 3/4s? above F? my fuel gauge goes to above F after filling, and I've gotten in 13.5 gals at times (when really pushing it). I had a different car that I just could not get to fuel up all the way. It was very frustrating. Possibly something to do with evap lines or charcoal canisters or some other gibberish that I never got to the bottom of. dunno if those things apply to the evo also, but good luck.
Usually it just fills to F. However, I almost always gas up with cash, but I was at half a tank a few days ago and filled up with my card. It filled up to full, but it seemed to last a lot longer on gas. In fact, it’s still at full. I feel that if I wait to empty and fill with a card it will fill to around 13 gals, because when I do cash, I just do $35.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 02:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Looks like you have figured it out. All is well w/your fuel system