Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any self-proclaimed evo 8 experts out here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any self-proclaimed evo 8 experts out here

Looking to buy an 8 and Id like for someone to review the car from a more experienced point of view, and not with tunnel vision on and tell me if im getting a good deal, what to look closely at and what I should be paying for it. I have videos as well, not sure if I can send them through here or I have no problem sending them to a phone number or email.

Also there is a lien on said vehicle, if anyone has any pointers as to the best way to go about that, I would be grateful. It doesn't seem like I will be able to get the title on the same day.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 06:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Self proclaimed expert here

Do you have the for sale link (thats the best way to show us). Let us take a look

The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Jun 25, 2018)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
For lien I wouldn't be too concerned. Have the owner contact the lien holder (his bank/credit union) and request a payoff slip/quote/whatever it's called and send that your way. Then you know the actual value owed to the bank on the car.

When purchasing the car, the transaction will happen at his bank, you'll write the check to his bank, and they will handle paying any extra money to the seller. Don't pay a dime directly to the seller unless the bank explicitly instructs you to while you're sitting at the bank.

The payoff slip is important because you then know that you're paying the full value of the car (or that the seller has already agreed to cover whatever you are not). The seller might say "well just pay my bank the payoff value and pay me the rest in cash", don't do this. Just pay everything to the bank and let them worry about writing a check to the seller.

For the title yea you don't get it the same day, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Banks don't hold titles locally so this is no surprise. They will also wait until your funds fully clear before releasing the title, this is standard practice
Old Jun 25, 2018, 01:52 PM

I sent a message to you, as to anyone looking for a car may not ****** it if they like what they see
Old Jun 25, 2018, 04:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Checked it out! Actually looks very clean. The $20K doesnt scare me off, but maybe an offer of $18.5K-$19K maybe in order?

I would have liked the following pics: engine bay & under carriage
Old Jun 25, 2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Checked it out! Actually looks very clean. The $20K doesnt scare me off, but maybe an offer of $18.5K-$19K maybe in order?

I would have liked the following pics: engine bay & under carriage
He has asked for 18500. Also I have those pics, I also have a video of it running which is something I’d like for you to check out if you have time and I appreciate the help from both of you so far
Old Jun 25, 2018, 05:16 PM

Old Jun 25, 2018, 06:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Engine bay looks tidy. I see Torque Solutions motor mounts / Open intake w/MAF / He polished out the exhaust heat shield (nice touch)

If you have the Vid, uploaded somewhere, would be happy to watch it.

Still would like to see the undercarriage. Some of the EvOs running in snow country are showing rust & corrosion issues.

Old Jun 25, 2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Engine bay looks tidy. I see Torque Solutions motor mounts / Open intake w/MAF / He polished out the exhaust heat shield (nice touch)

If you have the Vid, uploaded somewhere, would be happy to watch it.

Still would like to see the undercarriage. Some of the EvOs running in snow country are showing rust & corrosion issues.

2nd video is on my profile

as for any rust he assured me it’s clean as a whistle I’ll look when I get there, but I never asked for a pic and took it at face value

Last edited by Momentum1; Jun 25, 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Run a carfax. Front bumper is missing the Vin tag. Check all body panels for Vin tags that match.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by wht95scort
Run a carfax. Front bumper is missing the Vin tag. Check all body panels for Vin tags that match.
where exactly should I look for that and I am when I get home. Also he’s already agreed to a shop of my choice checking it out
Old Jun 26, 2018, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

fenders, hood, doors (they're on the doors themselves in the jam by the latch), trunk, and dash. body vin tag will be on the main door jam sticker

also, ask him if it's ever been in any accidents or had any paintwork. don't say "why is the front bumper missing the VIN tag". let him walk himself into the corner if he's going to. my car had the front bumper replaced because the OE had the lip torn off by previous owner and i bought a new one and had it painted. it was missing the VIN tag also but there might be a reasonable explanation (i also had pictures of the two side-by-side) as to why his is missing it. doesn't automatically mean the car was in an accident or anything
Old Jun 26, 2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
also, ask him if it's ever been in any accidents or had any paintwork. don't say "why is the front bumper missing the VIN tag". let him walk himself into the corner if he's going to. my car had the front bumper replaced because the OE had the lip torn off by previous owner and i bought a new one and had it painted. it was missing the VIN tag also but there might be a reasonable explanation (i also had pictures of the two side-by-side) as to why his is missing it. doesn't automatically mean the car was in an accident or anything
He already said it was prior repainted (whole car I believe) He said most likely due to fading. Obviously that's something to check out further
Old Jun 26, 2018, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

get a carfax and check it. whole car repaint (done properly) is a rare thing
Old Jun 27, 2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
get a carfax and check it. whole car repaint (done properly) is a rare thing
Got carfax, nothing out of the ordinary. 3 owner. Clean title. No accidents. Was NY/NJ owned most of its life. I will definitely check for rust, but I dont think i should let the fact that it came from there scare me off, as long as there is no rust of course. Past 3 years have been in the south. Doesnt say anything about paint other than vehicle color noted as black a few times. Does say it failed vehicle inspection, (the next day though it says inner and outer tie rods replaced)but that was last year and its being driven, it had 5k less miles as of less than a year ago. Im taking a look at it Thursday evening. I will update, if you guys care. Also if you have any last minute, hey check this out, or such and such, let me know please and thank you all for your help.

Last edited by Momentum1; Jun 27, 2018 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Any self-proclaimed evo 8 experts out here