Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thinking of relocating CT9A battery to trunk, fabricating a box and rewiring?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:51 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I`ve done it. I run a small battery in the truck and ran 1/0 all the way to the front of the car. It will actually fit under the plastic door sills with a light amount of trimming.
I actually used this tip, it was very helpful. I cut the little skeleton ridges out of the trim pieces of the scuff plate door sills. Thank you.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:54 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stvn87903
Look up everyday metal design on Instagram, there is a bracket being made to utilize an evo x fusible link under the hood to clean up the relocation.
I've relocated my battery to the rear. We made a custom box and mounted it on the driver's side behind the wheel (also on that Instagram page). I would recommend an optima battery, or similar, instead of a lead acid battery if doing the swap. It gets rid of the need to vent.
I saw that a company was selling a kit to mount the evo-x battery parts for simplified relocation like you were describing. They wanted 200$! I couldn't believe the cost of the bracket. Being that I can tig weld- I will make my own from aluminum. I did buy the evo-x parts though, so basically I'm just stealing the idea. Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:25 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grim~
Ive had my battery in my trunk for years with no problems. I used this kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-48103/overview/ but i recommend getting better terminal connections as the ones provided suck.
Yes- that's the kit I bought. I agree, the terminal connections suck. I want to get some better ones, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I also need to buy some killer cable cutters so I can make easy cuts.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 08:34 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I still need to buy terminals, but I bought a hydrolic terminal crimper tool
https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-hy...to-00-awg.html
Old Aug 4, 2018, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey there,
I am currently using the Fathouse Fab kit for my car. It essentially comes with an Evo X Distribution box and they provide a mounting brace(Powder coated or not) for it that sits very nicely in the engine bay. Here is the Link: http://www.fathousefab.com/product/e...n-bracket-kit/
For the battery in the trunk I purchased the Red top Optima Battery and the ICT Billet tray for it, all on Amazon. Honestly im not an electrician so I had my buddy at a local shop hook it all up for me.
I had the wiring left over from buying a Taylor Battery box but didnt want to go that route and I do agree on purchasing your own set of terminals. I went with some bronze ones I found from Amazon and they look great. I will make sure to post some pictures of my setup for you just to help the brain-storming process. Take care.

James.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:33 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Question- which one of these goes to the starter? Here is a picture I found from someone else's thread.

I think it is number "3" on the left, but I'm not sure. If so, isn't the starter not protected from the factory? I have a 300 amp fuse on the hot side of the battery for the trunk, so even if I run the starter unfused off of the evo 10 box it will still have the fuse in the trunk. The reason I ask is that it shows in this diagram that people are using the 140 amp spot from the evo-10- I personally don't think that's enough to be safe that it wont blow due to current draw from starting the car.

Old Aug 12, 2018, 07:34 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

So- without anyone able to help, I investigated this myself.

Here is the stock battery terminal fuseable link. It has 4 leads coming off of it from the factory. Mine has 6, because I have an external charger connector and a second fuel pump.

I started with the bottom portion of the bracket. I made it out of 1/8" aluminum. I made it as small as possible (removed material where it wasn't necessary) for weight reasons.

Next I bent up and cut a top part to mount the evo-x distributor. I noticed that the fathouse fab bracket has it set so that the distributor faces the front. Let's call this the 6-oclock position. I did mine different. I wanted it to face the 10:30 position. The reason for this is that the starter wire is very thick (I think it's 4 gauge) and I didn't want to have to modify or lengthen the cable.

Everything TIG welded together now. And I drilled holes for mounting the distributor. You can see here, that when I removed the starter wire from the bottom of the factory Evo-9 connector it fits nicely because I chose this 10:30 position. If it were at the 6-oclock position, I don't think it would be long enough to do it this way. I'm using a "mega" fuse in the back at the battery, so there is no need for me to have a fuse for the starter up front under the hood. Interesting- many cars (including the evo-ix) do not have a fuse from the factory for the starter. I was nervous without putting on in. More on that later.

Here you can see the rest of the wiring is pretty easy. The alternator lead went on the 120amp link. I have my double pumper on one as well. The other small wire fit on a 60 amper. I had to use pliers to bend these out. I noticed the wire that originally goes unfused next to the starter (underneath on the evo-ix battery lead) feeds the underhood fuse box. There is a 60 amp fuse directly inside. I just removed this entire wire. It is actually 2 wires bound and crimped together. I have an empty spot for this on still, but I'm going to probably shorten it a little bit.

Old Aug 19, 2018, 09:15 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

New update- I wanted to find a way to secure the bracket for forward back movement. After taking everything in the car apart- it seemed like a good idea to use the structure of the support for the rear seats. I fabricated a beam surround of sorts with 1/2" X 1" x 1/8" thick C-channel.

Then I mocked it up to try and get the sizing right. I had to clamp it down and remove it from the car to bring it to the bench to weld.

When I welded it, I used some more c-channel to make gussets so it was stronger.

I measured carefully, and drilled some holes in the back of the seat support to attach a M6 bolt and nut.

Old Aug 26, 2018, 06:39 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I wrapped the wiring under the fender with a 1/2" piece of convolute and electric tape.

I cut a piece of nylon with the footprint design of the battery to constrain it better, to prevent it from moving around in the box from side to side.

battery fits in quite nicely and very snug

I made a shim from nylon to make the top clamp full fit and constrain the battery side to side as well as hold it down.

holes drilled, for weight savings

My 2 brackets out of aluminum are currently away getting powder-coated. I hope to have them back this week so I can finish this. I need to find a cover for the positive terminal- I am trying of using a 3d printer to make one.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
This is good stuff man. Great attention to detail, like your JDM rear bumper/exhaust thread. The work looks solid as well!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:49 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
This is good stuff man. Great attention to detail, like your JDM rear bumper/exhaust thread. The work looks solid as well!
Thank you- I am just trying to do everything right and not cut corners.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:50 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Parts are done being powder-coated. I went with a glossy wrinkled black.

I even put the little rubber feet on the bottom.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 06:45 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

mounting the evo x fusible link to my bracket

All of my wires connected to the fusible link

stripping the 1 gauge for receiving the terminal

it is important to fully seat the wiring in before crimping. I used a hydraulic crimper. This worked out fantastic. Very easy to get amazing results.

Here I used the shrink-wrap that has the sealant inside. It flows out as the shrink-wrap gets smaller to provide a more water-proof seal.

I had to zip tie the wiring up so it would not interfere with the shifting mechanisms on top of the transmission

here you can see the start of the vent. I routed it from the battery, towards the drivers side and I went back by the tail light.

tucking behind the trim on the shock cover in the back

routed and zip tied, going rearward towards the tail light area

here is the hold I used to exit the interior. Underneath this threaded hole is where the carbon can vents. It is inside the floor-pan rail

I shoved a piece of tig filler metal through the hole, and used it as a guide to pull the hose out all of the way (I thought this was clever)

cutting the trim to fit as best as possible

things are mostly trimmed up
Old Sep 1, 2018, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Man if you lived nearby me i would pay you to do this for me, mine isnt as neat and isnt vented, great work.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 07:27 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Man if you lived nearby me i would pay you to do this for me, mine isnt as neat and isnt vented, great work.
Most people say that you don't need to vent an optima battery. I called optima themselves, and they suggested that I do it this way. The issue I have (being an engineer myself) is that the box itself isn't really sealed in a way that will make it impossible for gases to escape the seams of the box. I called Taylor Vertex and they said they've never heard of this causing an issue. The seams of the box and where the threaded rod aren't really "sealed".

EDIT (Addendum)
Venting on this car is surprisingly easy. I was amazed at how the car basically seemed to be designed for this right from the factory. I don't know what the little holes I used were for- but they were already in the floor pan. I assume some other car that uses the same rear pan uses those boss-nuts. I was literally laughing when I realized the hole was right on top of the rail of the pan. What are the chances of that!

Last edited by Jp7; Sep 1, 2018 at 09:04 AM.