Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What are the best ways to make your evo 9 handle amazing

Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
What are the best ways to make your evo 9 handle amazing

What I mean is suspension to sway bars. Like what are ways to make a evo 9 drive super good for all around driving. Some ideas are autoX and rally racing and stuff.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Question is pretty generic.

Rally, Auto-X and "Stuff" are all going to take a different suspension setup depending on the environment and the driver.

A basic street/auto-x setup is usually MR bilsteins, with GT Worx or equivalent springs. A little stiffer front bar, and a front LSD if not equipped. Obviously you can go way deeper than that.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The car already drives pretty well without any changes. Best mod early on is driver mod.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Jul 17, 2018)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 07:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Many of us are on coilovers, but most of us track our cars as well. If youre street driving only, consider some Swift springs / GTWorX (i ran Eibach's that worked really well) on your stock struts.

Consider a 24mm Whiteline rear sway bar. Keep the front sway bar stock
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:25 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I don't know your goals, but I do HPDE and an occasional AutoX. I don't really street drive the car, but it does fine when I do.
I have a single-adjustable coilover (AST 4100. I don't know how to tune multis) with 9k front and 10k rear springs (I'd like a bit less roll/pitch/dive, but it's really easy on tires), a 25mm rear sway bar set one hole from full soft (do not touch the stock FSB), home made adjustable sway bar end links, Vorshlag camber plates, Perrin PSRS, poly bushings all around, and have decreased rake to 13mm. I have a tuned ACD and a IX, so I have front LSD. I also restacked the rear diff plates but how have a Weir 12-plate.
The car drives very neutral and I can control the rear end with throttle. Turn is is quicker and more direct than when the car was stock.
I love how my car drives, it's a blast. Also very predictable.
I tried to keep things simple and on the cheap. So far, so good. Though I have plans to go nuts, in the near future. A guy on this forum (Dallas) has some awesome stuff that I can't wait to try.

As for Rally, that's going to be a completely different setup. I have no clue on that one. Sounds like a lot of fun, though.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 17, 2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
rear diff, rear bar, acd tune. i'm learning from driving more balanced chassis that the evo needs some turn-in help stat
Old Jul 17, 2018, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Max out the front camber (go to -2), reshuffle the rear diff. Add a rear bar. That's a pretty good starting point.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Got stock suspension with whitelines front and rear, its like a rock around corners, but when you over push it the *** can let go real quick, just need to catch it before hand
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I don't know your goals, but I do HPDE and an occasional AutoX. I don't really street drive the car, but it does fine when I do.
I have a single-adjustable coilover (AST 4100. I don't know how to tune multis) with 9k front and 10k rear springs (I'd like a bit less roll/pitch/dive, but it's really easy on tires), a 25mm rear sway bar set one hole from full soft (do not touch the stock FSB), home made adjustable sway bar end links, Vorshlag camber plates, Perrin PSRS, poly bushings all around, and have decreased rake to 13mm. I have a tuned ACD and a IX, so I have front LSD. I also restacked the rear diff plates but how have a Weir 12-plate.
The car drives very neutral and I can control the rear end with throttle. Turn is is quicker and more direct than when the car was stock.
I love how my car drives, it's a blast. Also very predictable.
I tried to keep things simple and on the cheap. So far, so good. Though I have plans to go nuts, in the near future. A guy on this forum (Dallas) has some awesome stuff that I can't wait to try.

As for Rally, that's going to be a completely different setup. I have no clue on that one. Sounds like a lot of fun, though.
Thank you for this post. I'm about to start the upgrade path on my JDM IX and this is my first Evo and AWD car so I/m researching three times and then hopefully just needing to buy once. Car will be used similarly to yours AutoX and Road Course plus street usage. I'm deciding between Fortune 510, Ohlins R&T and HKS Hipermax IV. I saw your other post about spring rates and not just jumping into 10k/12k setups if you want to maintain good street manners.

The swaybar advice is also helpful
Old Jul 18, 2018, 09:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by extreme-eg
Thank you for this post. I'm about to start the upgrade path on my JDM IX and this is my first Evo and AWD car so I/m researching three times and then hopefully just needing to buy once. Car will be used similarly to yours AutoX and Road Course plus street usage. I'm deciding between Fortune 510, Ohlins R&T and HKS Hipermax IV. I saw your other post about spring rates and not just jumping into 10k/12k setups if you want to maintain good street manners.

Been street driving my 510's w/Swift 10K / 12K springs for approx 3 years (no longer tracking the EvO). Im an older EvO owner & they work just fine for me on the street
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:13 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by extreme-eg

Ohlins seems to be the best all-around coilover of those. Fortune Auto is going to be the best bag for buck with a bit less street manners. I don't know anyone using HKS, so I haven't heard anything of them. 10/12 springs can be okay on a well-dampened shock. If you have the need to go that stiff, you would most likely be okay. I have my specific rates to save tires. Riding easy is a bonus LOL
Good that you are researching! Trial & error gets expensive.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Don't forget tires. Tires can make huge differences in handling.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 05:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Thank you @Kaj and @Minus Previous for the replies, yeah the Ohlins seem to be the perfect all rounder but are on the richer end of the scale. I'll be running either R888's or RE11s on the tire front.

The other conundrum I'm sitting with is wheel size which obviously impacts tyre size and handlig characteristics - I'd like to run 18x9.5 so I can run either a 255/35/18 or 265/35/18 factoring in that R compound tyres have an increased "actual" section width. Figuring out what offset to run on this wheel width is tricky as ET22's require significant rear arch work from what I've researched and ET35's can have problem in clearing the Brembo calipers (perfect rear fitment though ?). Konig make ET25 and ET35 and I'm stuck between these two sizes.

I will be doing ARP extended wheel studs but want to try and avoid spacers if possible.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:35 AM
kaj

No prob, Bob!

+35/+38 or so is what most of us run with 9.5" wheels. Most require a spacer on the front. There are a few wheels that fit without (I.E. Enkei PF01). It comes down to how the wheel you choose fits. Another option is to run a different offset on the front than rear, but rotating tires is obviosly harder. If you are running ARP studs, then spacers are really a non-issue.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by eliruiz
What I mean is suspension to sway bars. Like what are ways to make a evo 9 drive super good for all around driving. Some ideas are autoX and rally racing and stuff.
Have you tried it as it stands currently?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the best ways to make your evo 9 handle amazing