Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 dash rattle.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo 8 dash rattle.

Ok I have a rattle around my passenger airbag area that annoys the hell out of me when I take off in first. Girl friends car does the same thing but louder. She also has an evo 8. Iv had the whole dash out and I know nothing is loose. I tried researching a fix but can’t find anything serious. They all say turn the radio up. But I want a fix. I’m thinking it may were the airbag mounts. But I’m not sure. Anyone find a fix for this issue?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Nothin?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
First off, it's very cool that you and your gf both have an evo! Rattles are tricky because they can happen for many different reasons. Wires vibrating against the under dash, plastics flexing against each other, loose bolts/screws.

Have you two done the latest airbag recall yet? If not, I would temporarily remove any aftermarket gauges and wiring to schedule an appointment. The dealer might place cushioning tape to specific areas of the under dash to prevent rattles during reassembly and that could fix your problem right there (hopefully). The sun constantly beating down on the dash and drying out surrounding materials makes them change shape ever so slightly over time leading to rattles and noise.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
First off, it's very cool that you and your gf both have an evo! Rattles are tricky because they can happen for many different reasons. Wires vibrating against the under dash, plastics flexing against each other, loose bolts/screws.

Have you two done the latest airbag recall yet? If not, I would temporarily remove any aftermarket gauges and wiring to schedule an appointment. The dealer might place cushioning tape to specific areas of the under dash to prevent rattles during reassembly and that could fix your problem right there (hopefully). The sun constantly beating down on the dash and drying out surrounding materials makes them change shape ever so slightly over time leading to rattles and noise.
we both have 03s. Last time I checked they didn’t recall that year. I may be wrong?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Bzacharias

we both have 03s. Last time I checked they didn’t recall that year. I may be wrong?
I'm fairly certain the recall was done for all US CT9A. Use the VIN checker to make sure though.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. Al try again.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I believe you are right OP, in that the 2003 Evo was not included in the recall - I saw that mentioned elsewhere on these forums.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
2003 Models were not affected by the recalls.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Yes iv checked multiple times. So I believe I’m safe with that. I just don’t wanna pull the dash to try to fix the issue. I noticed today that if I hold my hand on the passenger dash above the airbag the noise goes away.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 01:52 PM

I also have this issue with my 2003, but have learned to ignore it for I have solid motor mounts and everything rattles. But this particular spot that you described is my worst rattle, haha! Perhaps take the glove box out and see if its something associated with that? or if someone can feel around that area while you drive and try to pinpoint the rattle.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FlashEvolution
I also have this issue with my 2003, but have learned to ignore it for I have solid motor mounts and everything rattles. But this particular spot that you described is my worst rattle, haha! Perhaps take the glove box out and see if its something associated with that? or if someone can feel around that area while you drive and try to pinpoint the rattle.

Best of luck!
i was trying to pin point it I’m my gf car while she was driving. As far as I can tell it seams to be the airbag on the passenger side. Idk if there is something I can do or not. But when I replace my radio Friday or Saturday I may mess with it more and see.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My DSM had a rattle in back. Over a bump it would buzz. Rode around on my back in the hatch area, took the loose panels out multiple times and no joy. I finally found the cause, the metal strip at the edge of the glass heater was loose from the glass, ending three months of searching.

Had a click at the upper rear of the passenger front (only) door. The only thing I could see under the plastic were two metal panels coming together and no spot weld. Applied oil to the spot and never heard the noise again.

Moral of the story, its fixed when it is fixed. There's no shortcuts for rattles.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
My DSM had a rattle in back. Over a bump it would buzz. Rode around on my back in the hatch area, took the loose panels out multiple times and no joy. I finally found the cause, the metal strip at the edge of the glass heater was loose from the glass, ending three months of searching.

Had a click at the upper rear of the passenger front (only) door. The only thing I could see under the plastic were two metal panels coming together and no spot weld. Applied oil to the spot and never heard the noise again.

Moral of the story, its fixed when it is fixed. There's no shortcuts for rattles.
true. Had an annoying one with the suspension when I got the car. Turns out the top nuts on all the Coilovers were loose. Don’t know if the previous owner forgot to tighten them or they came loose. But since iv tighten them up they haven’t came loose in 2 years.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an intermittent rattle in the same spot in my 03. Most of the time I give it a good smack like the Fonz and it goes away. Seems to happen when it's hotter on the dash (in the sun etc).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SinGin
I have an intermittent rattle in the same spot in my 03. Most of the time I give it a good smack like the Fonz and it goes away. Seems to happen when it's hotter on the dash (in the sun etc).
doesn’t matter the weather on mine