Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When looking to buy should I avoid this?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When looking to buy should I avoid this?

It seems like every single evo I look at “needs a tune”. Which I’ll be the first to admit I’m not as mechanically incline to a turbo car as the next may be but I’m learning slowly. Is this a cop out for bigger issues and I should stray or is it something I shouldn’t be concerned with? Also how is the car going to act “needing a tune” sluggish? Or it all varies due to the mods taken off to sell or added?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 05:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Momentum1
It seems like every single evo I look at “needs a tune”. Which I’ll be the first to admit I’m not as mechanically incline to a turbo car as the next may be but I’m learning slowly. Is this a cop out for bigger issues and I should stray or is it something I shouldn’t be concerned with? Also how is the car going to act “needing a tune” sluggish? Or it all varies due to the mods taken off to sell or added?
You should arrange to have the pre-buy inspection done by a shop that is EvO knowledgeable. Compression test, leak down test & an overall inspection of the engine, suspension & drivetrain

Any EvO that has been modified, should be evaluated by a tuner to ensure all the parameters are in a safe zone
Old Sep 5, 2018, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
IMO yes, it's a cop-out for a larger issue. unless the owner says something like "installed full exhaust but was never tuned, car is still on stock tune". that's not an "issue", but more of a recommendation

people who are like "car has s2 cams, full bolt ons but needs a tune so that it runs well"....skip it. if the person didn't have the care and upkeep to get a car with all that stuff tuned means they likely also didn't take care of the car in many other ways as well.

no guarantee on either of these, just guess-work at how the car was treated.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Sep 5, 2018)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have a hunch you're seeing cars that have had aftermarket parts removed in order to make the car seem more stock like and valuable.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
"needs a tune" = Doesn't run right.

could it be just the tune? maybe.... maybe not.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
IMO: "Needs a tune" = "Needs something to run right, but I can't figure it out". Nobody I know builds a car then sells it before having it tuned. That just makes no sense.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Needs "just a tune", haha, yeah I'd walk away too.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I read the "just needs a tune" the same way that someone will say "AC just needs to be recharged". Sorry but not buying it. run don't walk!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 08:32 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I read the "just needs a tune" the same way that someone will say "AC just needs to be recharged". Sorry but not buying it. run don't walk!
"AC just needs recharge" = short for "Figure an AC compressor, condenser, drier, and expansion valve into your budget. May as well add in extra for lines, just in case. Oh.. then the vacuum/test and refrigerant. All because I thought it was a good idea to remove AC for going to the local drag strip.. but I just put it back in, so you are good to go. I hope I didn't dry out all the seal, but I probably did".
Old Sep 13, 2018, 01:00 PM

I'm selling my Evo8 and I don't have "need a tune" in the listing. But I feel like anyone that buys it is going to take it to someone they trust and retune it.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 01:55 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by my-wrx-broke
I'm selling my Evo8 and I don't have "need a tune" in the listing. But I feel like anyone that buys it is going to take it to someone they trust and retune it.
As long as it was tuned when you had it ,should be fine for the seller, assuming you didn't swap out parts.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 09:18 AM

Have a tune factored into the price. So if it still doesn't run correctly, it's not under your name after the tune
Old Sep 16, 2018, 09:56 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by MattJC
Have a tune factored into the price. So if it still doesn't run correctly, it's not under your name after the tune
What?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
What?
I think what he is saying is factor in paying for a tune before buying, if it doesn't fix it, don't buy it. If the person doesn't want to have the car tuned for free before selling, obviously they know it's not just a tune.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 06:22 AM
kaj

Fuuuuck that.