Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Finally did the airbag recall, and now my heater knob won't turn completely CCW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally did the airbag recall, and now my heater knob won't turn completely CCW

So I reluctantly got the airbag recall done today, and now my left heater knob won't turn completely CCW to cold... They also scratched my side skirts and left 2 random bolts in my cup holder...

Any idea how to fix the heater knob?

Old Sep 14, 2018, 06:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
So disappointing having a so called Pro work on our cars & end up w/that

Check out Pauls Vid on this issue. Should provide some help

Old Sep 15, 2018, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have my second coming up and I'll slqm with the usual notes on the dash not to screw up my care, last time they were scared to touch it
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This same exact thing happened to me when I left my Evo at the dealer for the Airbag Recall. Not only did they mess up the A/C controls, but the following happened:

-Half the cluster lights would work while the other side was dark
-SRS light is on
-Dash has a nick/scratch in it
-Double Din Radio was way off center // zip tied in versus the bolts I had
-A/C Knob control is no longer smooth. Has to be pushed hard, and even still won't change temperature

Biggest regret is taking it to the dealer. When I emailed the dealer with my unfortunate findings, they said they'd have a higher up rep contact me. Never happened.

To this day, I have the airbag unplugged now ( since my SRS light is on anyway ). They are never touching the car again.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my air bag recall done in the spring, got my car with a broken ignition switch. The ring part and the little box on the side. It detects whether the key is in or not. So my remote would no longer work to lock or unlock the doors. Called them and they said there was nothing they could do, WOW!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have an '03 so no recall. Just curious, what all do they pull when doing the recall?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 01:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i have been avoiding taking mine in for the recall for this very reason. dont trust them to do the job 100% without messing something up.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
here are details:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...one-srs-5.html
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrispy0530
This same exact thing happened to me when I left my Evo at the dealer for the Airbag Recall. Not only did they mess up the A/C controls, but the following happened:

-Half the cluster lights would work while the other side was dark
-SRS light is on
-Dash has a nick/scratch in it
-Double Din Radio was way off center // zip tied in versus the bolts I had
-A/C Knob control is no longer smooth. Has to be pushed hard, and even still won't change temperature

Biggest regret is taking it to the dealer. When I emailed the dealer with my unfortunate findings, they said they'd have a higher up rep contact me. Never happened.

To this day, I have the airbag unplugged now ( since my SRS light is on anyway ). They are never touching the car again.
Two of my cluster bulbs came back dead after the recall. And about 9 were completely missing. The dealer swears this was not their doing. 🙄. In any event, spent the $$$ to order an entire new set of bulbs and just fixed it myself.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I unplugged my airbag and removed the SRS light from the cluster. Not getting my car ****ed up by some dealership hack, and getting the car back with the wiring harness for my gauges no longer tucked up where I have it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 01:01 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I got lucky: I knew the service writer so he made his guys be extra careful, seeing how I had my wideband in the cluster and other gauges in the center. They didn't mess anything up, but now my dash rattles worse than a normal Evo. Thank god I don't drive the car on a regular basis.... would drive me up the wall.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

So I ended up going back the next day for them to fix the temperature knob not working. They fixed that and gave me $15 for gas and tolls for driving down again... Then a few days later I'm driving at night for the first time and realize that half of my A/C controls aren't illuminated. I emailed them and said I'm not coming back, mail me the bulbs... I don't understand how they managed to ruin one of the bulbs from this repair though.

After cleaning my car and trying to repair all the scratches and chips from them hitting my sideskirts with their feet, I also noticed that there are two new door dings...

What a ****ing nightmare.

I have to ask, do you deal with this **** if you have a high end car, like a BMW?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 01:12 PM
kaj

Dealerships are staffed by people who just don't give a **** about your car. That's just the nature of it. And what are you doing to do? NOT take your car in? That's doing them a favor
A friend of mine got his RS back from Ford after a repair. They LITERALLY used bailing wire to tie the undertray to to the bumper. He has pictures as proof. That's the worst thing I think I've ever seen. There were a long list of issues, of course the infamous headgasket being one. He lawyered up was going to have them take the car back. Between his LOVING the car and their finally giving in, they fixed everything they should have.
Sad that's the extreme you have to go through, in order for them to back up their stuff.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Dealerships are staffed by people who just don't give a **** about your car. That's just the nature of it. And what are you doing to do? NOT take your car in? That's doing them a favor
A friend of mine got his RS back from Ford after a repair. They LITERALLY used bailing wire to tie the undertray to to the bumper. He has pictures as proof. That's the worst thing I think I've ever seen. There were a long list of issues, of course the infamous headgasket being one. He lawyered up was going to have them take the car back. Between his LOVING the car and their finally giving in, they fixed everything they should have.
Sad that's the extreme you have to go through, in order for them to back up their stuff.
I don't know how it works with recall work, but don't dealerships make most of their money from their service departments?

I know it's sad, but I kind of thought when I brought in my clean evo they would have appreciated it more and not treated it like they would ever other SUV they work on..
Old Sep 20, 2018, 01:36 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Kreeker
I don't know how it works with recall work, but don't dealerships make most of their money from their service departments?

I know it's sad, but I kind of thought when I brought in my clean evo they would have appreciated it more and not treated it like they would ever other SUV they work on..
Most money is made off used car sales. The service dept is highly profitable, but most people don't take their cars there for work.
They try to avoid warranty and recall work like the plague.