Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advice wanted: what’s this 2006 evo 9 MR with no motor worth?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by nuggsog
Ok cool thank you! But even it’s not an MR. what is it? And is it worth it to buy and restore as a project car?

All the photos you have posted trend towards a 2003 Evo 8 which is arguably the least desirable Evo in the USA.

It's maybe worth $4,000. You could probably find a nice fully running 2003 Evo for 12-14k that you could drive around today.

For reference, I bought this crashed 2005 Evo 8 for less than $4,000 9 years ago, easily made back the purchase price in parts but it was a TON OF WORK to do so.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:26 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
All the photos you have posted trend towards a 2003 Evo 8 which is arguably the least desirable Evo in the USA.

It's maybe worth $4,000. You could probably find a nice fully running 2003 Evo for 12-14k that you could drive around today.

For reference, I bought this crashed 2005 Evo 8 for less than $4,000 9 years ago, easily made back the purchase price in parts but it was a TON OF WORK to do so.

holy **** someone died in that car
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the info. I def don’t want an 8. Here’s the vin he gave me from the title. I asked him to send me a picture of the vin from the car.

JA3AH86C86U050285

he does a lot of business with cars and I’ve known him for a while now. I don’t see him being shady but you really never know. I’ll make sure to get all the info before I even drop some cash.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:29 PM
EvoM Guru

I appreciate the info. I def don’t want an 8. Here’s the vin he gave me from the title. I asked him to send me a picture of the vin from the car.

JA3AH86C86U050285

he does a lot of business with cars and I’ve known him for a while now. I don’t see him being shady but you really never know. I’ll make sure to get all the info before I even drop some cash.
Nobody goes to the trouble of swapping a steel roof with sunroof onto an Evo MR. Everything else in your photos also scream Evo 8.

Run away.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
holy **** someone died in that car
Surprisingly they did not. Twos week after the incident she drove to my house, walked out of her car and I handed her a check.

A lot of the nastiness you see in the photos are from the jaws of life. That said, she flopped the right way with perfect timing because the drivers recaro was bent to CRAP. If she had stayed in that seat she would have been dead.

Car spun, tripped and flipped into a light pole.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:32 PM

You can see the cap for the intercooler sprayer tank in the potato pic of the engine bay, so its def not a 9 unless there is some crazy backstory. Its even more likely that the dash or what ever he is pulling the vin off of is from a 9 then the chassis is a 9.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:37 PM

Surprisingly they did not. Twos week after the incident she drove to my house, walked out of her car and I handed her a check.

A lot of the nastiness you see in the photos are from the jaws of life. That said, she flopped the right way with perfect timing because the drivers recaro was bent to CRAP. If she had stayed in that seat she would have been dead.
That is some super good luck in a bad luck situation. The roof looks about where a persons head should/would be. Just seeing that picture makes me want a cage.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:45 PM

Ok it’s not an MR. but is it a chance that it could be a 9? He said he bought it at an auction. He put 8 parts on it but has all the 9 parts. Still waiting for pics of the vin from the car but how can we for sure find out? Or do you think I should just run and find something else?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:50 PM

Ok it’s not an MR. but is it a chance that it could be a 9? He said he bought it at an auction. He put 8 parts on it but has all the 9 parts. Still waiting for pics of the vin from the car but how can we for sure find out? Or do you think I should just run and find something else?
You haven't really said what your end goals for the car are. Depending on what your trying to do it might not matter if its an 8 or a 9. If its a 9 it should have ACD. Which would be the "Tarmac, gravel, snow" settings on the Instrument cluster. It should also have an ACD pump where that Intercooler sprayer tank i was talking about is. If you look at the front left corner of Razorlabs parts car you can see the ACD pump and its reservoir tank, if you look in the same place on your pic you can see the top of the water tank that the 03-04 evo 8 came with which was for an intercooler sprayer. I could be wrong because the pics are pretty low resolution but thats what it looks like to me. I could see someone deleting ACD from a 9, but to then install an intercooler sprayer would be pretty strange.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Sep 22, 2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 08:08 PM
EvoM Guru

05 Evo 8 had ACD as well. The car in the photos is a 03-04 for sure.

Not so sure how much a friend this person is.

It will easily cost you another $10k to get this car back to proper working order, you can find 03-05 Evo's for that price fully together and intact.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 08:15 PM

Nm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:48 PM

4k is good imo needs body work and tails but tails is cheap enough
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
+1 this is an Evo 8. Seems like the evo was originally black. I have seen lots of shells for sale and I would value this one at 2-3k depending on what the seller includes. I have seen mint shells selling for 6-7k.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
You haven't really said what your end goals for the car are. Depending on what your trying to do it might not matter if its an 8 or a 9. If its a 9 it should have ACD. Which would be the "Tarmac, gravel, snow" settings on the Instrument cluster. It should also have an ACD pump where that Intercooler sprayer tank i was talking about is. If you look at the front left corner of Razorlabs parts car you can see the ACD pump and its reservoir tank, if you look in the same place on your pic you can see the top of the water tank that the 03-04 evo 8 came with which was for an intercooler sprayer. I could be wrong because the pics are pretty low resolution but thats what it looks like to me. I could see someone deleting ACD from a 9, but to then install an intercooler sprayer would be pretty strange.
my end goal was to get a new project car to build slowly. I want a 9 cause it’s a car I’ve always wanted. He said he had one and so here we are. I expressed all the questions this thread presented and he said he would look into the car and everything else and send the info. I’m gonna hear him out and post back here. I def don’t want an 8.

05 Evo 8 had ACD as well. The car in the photos is a 03-04 for sure.

Not so sure how much a friend this person is.

It will easily cost you another $10k to get this car back to proper working order, you can find 03-05 Evo's for that price fully together and intact.
were gonna get to the bottom of it and I asked for proof. He’s not that close but I’ve known him for a few years. 10k? You think that much ?

Originally Posted by TripleDiamond
4k is good imo needs body work and tails but tails is cheap enough
hes got all that and a bunch of extra 9 parts he plans to include.

Originally Posted by deylag
+1 this is an Evo 8. Seems like the evo was originally black. I have seen lots of shells for sale and I would value this one at 2-3k depending on what the seller includes. I have seen mint shells selling for 6-7k.
thank you for your input. I appreciate everyone on here helping me out.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

10k? You think that much ?
At *least* $10k. Motor will be $5-8k. Paint another couple grand, not to mention everything else you will find wrong with it once you dig in. Guy doesn't seem trustworthy saying it's a 9 MR when it's obviously not. Expect all sorts of surprises with this one.