What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018? - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Go Back  EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community > Lancer Evolution 1-9 Forums > Evo General
Reload this Page >

What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018?

Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018?

Old Dec 1, 2018, 01:25 AM
  #16  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,431
Thanked 612 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by HoneyGreenTea
Did the full maintenance here in socal for about $700 at the dealership
A full timing belt kit and OEM water pump is $6-700. Would like to see what you actually got done..
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2018, 03:12 AM
  #17  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
A full timing belt kit and OEM water pump is $6-700. Would like to see what you actually got done..
if i remember correctly they changed the timing belt, water pump and all fluids.
HoneyGreenTea is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2018, 04:15 PM
  #18  
Evolved Member
 
barneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Island, NE
Posts: 6,504
Thanked 106 Times in 97 Posts
Half the work is reinstalling the water pump pulley.
barneyb is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:58 AM
  #19  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Kreeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 1,328
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a shop about an hour away doing the full 60k service with parts and labor for just under $1500. Seems like a fair price; lets see if they screw up my car
Kreeker is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2018, 01:20 PM
  #20  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,431
Thanked 612 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by HoneyGreenTea View Post


if i remember correctly they changed the timing belt, water pump and all fluids.
Right. You got $600-$700 in just parts. Hence why paying $700 with labor doesn't make sense.
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2018, 03:18 PM
  #21  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,187
Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
Half the work is reinstalling the water pump pulley.
Say what?
heel2toe is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2018, 05:13 PM
  #22  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9,497
Thanked 222 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
Half the work is reinstalling the water pump pulley.
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Say what?

Truth I pull the passenger-side motor mount anyway, so then jacking up the engine makes it FAR easier to deal with LOL. I made a tool with an old serpentine belt to keep tension on it while I tighten.
kaj is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:12 PM
  #23  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,187
Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
I'm still baffled by the comment. Its a non issue the passenger side motor mount is gone to remove the idler pulley anyway. You just remove one bolt at a time inside where the mount would sit as you spin the pump until you have all 4 off. Putting back on same thing and hold tension with a belt.
heel2toe is offline  
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:04 AM
  #24  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9,497
Thanked 222 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
I'm still baffled by the comment. Its a non issue the passenger side motor mount is gone to remove the idler pulley anyway. You just remove one bolt at a time inside where the mount would sit as you spin the pump until you have all 4 off. Putting back on same thing and hold tension with a belt.
It's infamous for being a pain in the ***, especially if you have larger hands. It was a joke.
kaj is offline  
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:49 PM
  #25  
Evolved Member
 
barneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Grand Island, NE
Posts: 6,504
Thanked 106 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
I'm still baffled by the comment. Its a non issue the passenger side motor mount is gone to remove the idler pulley anyway. You just remove one bolt at a time inside where the mount would sit as you spin the pump until you have all 4 off. Putting back on same thing and hold tension with a belt.
I've done so many timing belt jobs on the 4G63 I could almost do it blindfolded. I've been driving cars with that engine since 1992. But installing the Evo water pump pulley always gives me fits. Maybe we just didn't hit it off right, I dunno. The second to last time I installed the pulley I had a missing bolt - got a spare out of my junk drawer. About a week later, after much driving the engine started squealing, the noise was coming from the water pump pulley. Pulled the pulley and there inside was the missing bolt. That explains why I couldn't find it after much searching. So, I got to install that stupid pulley yet again.

The whole design is wrong in my opinion. There's a flange on the end of the water pump the same thickness as the pulley material. Set the pulley in place and breath on it and it falls to the floor. There's no easy way to line up the holes. You hit one by luck. I eventually bought a wrench with a rubber strap to hold the pulley. Even then I spend half an hour on what should be a 5 minute job.

Last edited by barneyb; Dec 5, 2018 at 11:03 PM.
barneyb is offline  
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:54 PM
  #26  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9,497
Thanked 222 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
I've done so many timing belt jobs on the 4G63 I could almost do it blindfolded. I've been driving cars with that engine since 1992. But installing the Evo water pump pulley always gives me fits. Maybe we just didn't hit it off right, I dunno. The second to last time I installed the pulley I had a missing bolt - got a spare out of my junk drawer. About a week later, after much driving the engine started squealing, the noise was coming from the water pump pulley. Pulled the pulley and there inside was the missing bolt. That explains why I couldn't find it after much searching. So, I got to install that stupid pulley yet again.

The whole design is wrong in my opinion. There's a flange on the end of the water pump the same thickness as the pulley material. Set the pulley in place and breath on it and it falls to the floor. There's no easy way to line up the holes. You hit one by luck. I eventually bought a wrench with a rubber strap to hold the pulley. Even then I spend half an hour on what should be a 5 minute job.
No matter how hard I try ,I drop the first bolt 50% of the time. LOL
It would probably be easier if I could learn to stop dreading it so much and psyching myself out.
kaj is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2018, 06:36 AM
  #27  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Kreeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 1,328
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lol your comments are making me glad I'm paying a professional to do it today...

Is there any reason to do thermostat at the same time?
Kreeker is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2018, 09:41 AM
  #28  
kaj
Evolved Member
iTrader: (58)
 
kaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9,497
Thanked 222 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker View Post
Lol your comments are making me glad I'm paying a professional to do it today...

Is there any reason to do thermostat at the same time?
Its not that bad, just time consuming because you done wasn't to rush. We're just having fun with some of the hassles.
No need to change the thermostat.
kaj is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2018, 09:53 AM
  #29  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 11,431
Thanked 612 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
I'm still baffled by the comment. Its a non issue the passenger side motor mount is gone to remove the idler pulley anyway. You just remove one bolt at a time inside where the mount would sit as you spin the pump until you have all 4 off. Putting back on same thing and hold tension with a belt.
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
It's infamous for being a pain in the ***, especially if you have larger hands. It was a joke.
I don't find it to be a pain at all, and XL gloves are just about snug on my hands. Also I don't need the belt on to torque the bolts to 96in/lbs. Can hold it by hand no problem. Maybe its because my hands are big enough to hold onto over 1/2 the pulley lol
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:14 AM
  #30  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Kreeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ny
Posts: 1,328
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They just showed me all the new stuff installed on the car with it on the lift. It seems like it would be a nightmare to do it without a lift...


Last edited by Kreeker; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Kreeker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.