Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by HoneyGreenTea
Did the full maintenance here in socal for about $700 at the dealership
A full timing belt kit and OEM water pump is $6-700. Would like to see what you actually got done..
Old Dec 1, 2018, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
A full timing belt kit and OEM water pump is $6-700. Would like to see what you actually got done..
if i remember correctly they changed the timing belt, water pump and all fluids.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Half the work is reinstalling the water pump pulley.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a shop about an hour away doing the full 60k service with parts and labor for just under $1500. Seems like a fair price; lets see if they screw up my car
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by HoneyGreenTea

if i remember correctly they changed the timing belt, water pump and all fluids.
Right. You got $600-$700 in just parts. Hence why paying $700 with labor doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Say what?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 04:13 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Say what?

Truth I pull the passenger-side motor mount anyway, so then jacking up the engine makes it FAR easier to deal with LOL. I made a tool with an old serpentine belt to keep tension on it while I tighten.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I'm still baffled by the comment. Its a non issue the passenger side motor mount is gone to remove the idler pulley anyway. You just remove one bolt at a time inside where the mount would sit as you spin the pump until you have all 4 off. Putting back on same thing and hold tension with a belt.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:04 PM
kaj

I'm still baffled by the comment. Its a non issue the passenger side motor mount is gone to remove the idler pulley anyway. You just remove one bolt at a time inside where the mount would sit as you spin the pump until you have all 4 off. Putting back on same thing and hold tension with a belt.
It's infamous for being a pain in the ***, especially if you have larger hands. It was a joke.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've done so many timing belt jobs on the 4G63 I could almost do it blindfolded. I've been driving cars with that engine since 1992. But installing the Evo water pump pulley always gives me fits. Maybe we just didn't hit it off right, I dunno. The second to last time I installed the pulley I had a missing bolt - got a spare out of my junk drawer. About a week later, after much driving the engine started squealing, the noise was coming from the water pump pulley. Pulled the pulley and there inside was the missing bolt. That explains why I couldn't find it after much searching. So, I got to install that stupid pulley yet again.

The whole design is wrong in my opinion. There's a flange on the end of the water pump the same thickness as the pulley material. Set the pulley in place and breath on it and it falls to the floor. There's no easy way to line up the holes. You hit one by luck. I eventually bought a wrench with a rubber strap to hold the pulley. Even then I spend half an hour on what should be a 5 minute job.

Last edited by barneyb; Dec 5, 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:54 PM
kaj

I've done so many timing belt jobs on the 4G63 I could almost do it blindfolded. I've been driving cars with that engine since 1992. But installing the Evo water pump pulley always gives me fits. Maybe we just didn't hit it off right, I dunno. The second to last time I installed the pulley I had a missing bolt - got a spare out of my junk drawer. About a week later, after much driving the engine started squealing, the noise was coming from the water pump pulley. Pulled the pulley and there inside was the missing bolt. That explains why I couldn't find it after much searching. So, I got to install that stupid pulley yet again.

The whole design is wrong in my opinion. There's a flange on the end of the water pump the same thickness as the pulley material. Set the pulley in place and breath on it and it falls to the floor. There's no easy way to line up the holes. You hit one by luck. I eventually bought a wrench with a rubber strap to hold the pulley. Even then I spend half an hour on what should be a 5 minute job.
No matter how hard I try ,I drop the first bolt 50% of the time. LOL
It would probably be easier if I could learn to stop dreading it so much and psyching myself out.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Lol your comments are making me glad I'm paying a professional to do it today...

Is there any reason to do thermostat at the same time?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 08:41 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Kreeker
Lol your comments are making me glad I'm paying a professional to do it today...

Is there any reason to do thermostat at the same time?
Its not that bad, just time consuming because you done wasn't to rush. We're just having fun with some of the hassles.
No need to change the thermostat.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
It's infamous for being a pain in the ***, especially if you have larger hands. It was a joke.
I don't find it to be a pain at all, and XL gloves are just about snug on my hands. Also I don't need the belt on to torque the bolts to 96in/lbs. Can hold it by hand no problem. Maybe its because my hands are big enough to hold onto over 1/2 the pulley lol
Old Dec 6, 2018, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

They just showed me all the new stuff installed on the car with it on the lift. It seems like it would be a nightmare to do it without a lift...

Last edited by Kreeker; Dec 6, 2018 at 09:22 AM.