Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What's a fair price timing belt install or full 60k maintenance in 2018?

Old Dec 19, 2018, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The rubber on the motor mount being in the wrong spot won't make noise. They need to check the fron balance shaft phasing by removing the inspection plug and sticking a screw driver in there.
Originally Posted by Pal215
You're not going crazy, i'm fairly certain your balance shafts are out of phase. It's a mistake a lot of non-specialty mechanics make all the time. As letsgetthisdone mentioned, there is a bolt you can take off on the front facing side of the engine to check the phase of the balance shaft. Note that I said front facing and not front. It's right next to your downpipe. I'm willing to bet it's out of phase and all these extra noises are caused by it.
Originally Posted by kaj

I'm an idiot so bare with me... How much stuff do I need to remove to get to that bolt? After you remove it, do you just insert a screw driver with the engine off and if it can't go all the way in, the balance shaft is out of time?

Does anything about this motor mount look off...?

Last edited by Kreeker; Dec 19, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 06:28 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I think the turbo itself is in the way....I'd have to look again. No so much to get the bolt out, as to get a screwdriver in.
Yes with engine off.
You can Google the motor mount ,if you're not sure about orientation of that rubber piece.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 07:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Heres a vid to unravel some of the mystery

BTW, subscribe to this channel. Its one of our members

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Dec 19, 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Heres a vid to unravel some of the mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StWL4GiT9yA
Yeah I came across that video earlier. Again me being daft, but is it as simple as just removing the inspection bolt and sticking in the screw driver? Wouldn't the timing marks have to be aligned first? Like do I have to remove timing belt cover and rotate the belt so everything is aligned first?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 07:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
Yeah I came across that video earlier. Again me being daft, but is it as simple as just removing the inspection bolt and sticking in the screw driver? Wouldn't the timing marks have to be aligned first? Like do I have to remove timing belt cover and rotate the belt so everything is aligned first?
Yeah, you would have to rotate the gears so that all the gear points are in phase

Youre really just verifying the fwd balance shaft with that inspection hole check. You will have to verify that the other shaft is properly phased
Old Dec 19, 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Yeah, you would have to rotate the gears so that all the gear points are in phase

Youre really just verifying the fwd balance shaft with that inspection hole check. You will have to verify that the other shaft is properly phased
How do you do this? Can you just turn the crankshaft with a breaker bar?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 08:29 PM
kaj

You will want to pull the timing covers to be sure all marks are lined up. The crank, cams, oil pump, and rear balance shaft all.turn at different speeds.
or...I guess you could line the crank and cam gears up...Then try the screw driver. If it doesn't fit, rotate around until they mine line up and try again. If not, try a third? I'm not sure how many revolutions you would need to try in order to confirm it's aligned or not..
I guess if it never goes, then you would know.

If it's 180° out, then you have to redo the timing belt.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You will want to pull the timing covers to be sure all marks are lined up. The crank, cams, oil pump, and rear balance shaft all.turn at different speeds.
or...I guess you could line the crank and cam gears up...Then try the screw driver. If it doesn't fit, rotate around until they mine line up and try again. If not, try a third? I'm not sure how many revolutions you would need to try in order to confirm it's aligned or not..
I guess if it never goes, then you would know.

If it's 180° out, then you have to redo the timing belt.
God this is a nightmare.

If you just remove the cover can you see the timing marks for the front balance shaft? If so, couldn't you just turn the crank until the front balance shaft is lined up with the timing marks and then try the test?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 09:49 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Kreeker
God this is a nightmare.

If you just remove the cover can you see the timing marks for the front balance shaft? If so, couldn't you just turn the crank until the front balance shaft is lined up with the timing marks and then try the test?
Unfortunately ,no. The balance shaft isn't connected to the oil pump, it is driven off a gear from the oil pump ,so turns ar a different rate.
Now that I think about it ,I don't think you can do it without the timing covers off. Otherwise ,it would be a guessing game.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to get them to check out the balance shaft. Anything else you guys can think of?

I'm hoping it's the balance shaft, because if it isn't then they're going to act like I'm crazy...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So any status update @Kreeker
Old Dec 27, 2018, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aidanlee1
So any status update @Kreeker
Sorry I didn't update sooner... Figured I was annoying everyone enough with all my posts

I went for drive with shop owner and tech to reproduce the noise above 4k. They were both adamant that the balance shaft is in time, but the shop owner did agree that it sounded strange above 4k. Said something like "the exhaust sounded tight" or something like that

They got it on the lift and noticed that the noise was coming from the exhaust shield around the cat as well as the exhaust hitting driveshaft bracket. They removed the cat exhaust shield and cut the driveshaft bracket. Despite this they still confirmed and showed me that the balance shaft was in time because we both agreed that I would never let it go. I do appreciate that they did this because it took about 2+ hours and they did not charge me. They actually didn't charge me for anything they did, and was more than happy to give them something, especially for cutting the driveshaft bracket.

Removing the heatshield and the cutting the driveshaft bracket improved things immensely, but I'm still really confused as to why this stuff propped up after getting the timing belt done. The only thing I can think of is they did the full 60k service and changed out my spark plugs which I had not done since I bought the car (very sad I know), so possibly the car is running better and things are vibrating more?!?!? I can pretty much guarantee this wasn't happening before because we noticed the driveshaft bracket nut was hitting the exhaust the first time I went back, and the second time we looked (a week later) the damage on the titanium mid pipe was visibly much worse. If I would have left it, the mid pipe would have had a gaping hole in it in no time.

Now today I noticed a "new" issue... When turning at low speed, sometimes I notice a burping / popping noise and it seems like I can also feel it in the steering wheel. One possible cause is the bad exhaust gasket going from the mid pipe to the cat. I could see that causing the noise, but I don't think I would feel it in the steering wheel. When they were removing the shield on the cat I did hear them whacking the **** out of it with a hammer, so I'm hoping they didn't miss and hit something important.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What **** show shop did you take your poor car to?

Did they follow the procedure in the manual for check the front shaft, or did they just look at the mark on the oil pump gear?

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Dec 28, 2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 01:52 PM
kaj

This is all why no shops touch my car.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What **** show shop did you take your poor car to?

Did they follow the procedure in the manual for check the front shaft, or did they just look at the mark on the oil pump gear?
When I went back, they verified it was correct using the inspection hole.

Originally Posted by kaj
This is all why no shops touch my car.
I think I should just sell the car and buy a Camry...

Search this Thread