Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 or 2015+ STI

Old Dec 24, 2018, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Evo 9 or 2015+ STI

Hey everybody, first I’m sorry for this kind of post but I have not found my answer anywhere else.

Question: has anyone driven both an Evo 8 or 9 and. 2015 or newer Subaru STI? I’m looking for a direct comparison to inform my purchase.

Ive found plenty of other information and indirect comparison but I am hoping to get some driver feedback.

For reference, I’ve previously owned a 2005 Evo 8

Kevin
Old Dec 24, 2018, 05:10 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Where this thread is going to end up: we all have different opinions ,none of which will help you make a decision.

You gotta drive the Subaru yourself ,seeing how you are the one paying.
The following users liked this post:
WestPalmEVO (Jul 5, 2019)
Old Dec 24, 2018, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the reply Kaj. I will but it’s been 12+ years since I had my Evo 8. I’m sure somebody in the community has more recent experience and could provide some insight. It will all generally speaking be opinions but that’s better than I’ve seen anywhere else so far.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 06:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not sure if finding someone whos driven this exact combo is necessary.

A easier comparison would be an EvO 9 vs 10. Knowing the 10 is 2-3 hundreds heavier & is more refined would be a similar comparison to the STI

Drive my RS w/all the NVH & compare it to a stock 10 (quiet, well insulated, low NVH)

Same type of polar opposite comparison
Old Dec 24, 2018, 06:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Kevine326
Thank you for the reply Kaj. I will but it’s been 12+ years since I had my Evo 8. I’m sure somebody in the community has more recent experience and could provide some insight. It will all generally speaking be opinions but that’s better than I’ve seen anywhere else so far.
True enough, but our opinions may differ from yours. I can say how I love driving my car because it has no nannies other than ABS and someone else will tell you that they suck because the interior looks cheap blah blah. At the end of the day you are still left with, "What would I think, if I drove both?".

If I were paying for whichever car you choose, I'd be glad to give my opinion That being said, I doubt you would buy either car based on anything any of have to say about which car is better to drive.

About all we can do is tell you the mechanical weaknesses of each car, but I'm sure you know those already.

A conversation of the two is always fun and probably covered already, on this forum. It seems really familiar. This is an Evo board, so you are going to find about 90% of the people telling you the Evo is more fun to drive. Over at NASIOC, you will be told the newer car is better because it's newer, not beat up on, etc. All that info, you can already find on both forums because it's been covered a million times.

Either way, you will decide which to buy and you will be happy. They are both good cars. I'm not trying to sound negative, but I've seen this thread sooooo many times and they all end the same.

Good luck with whichever you choose!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
IMO, as well as probably 90% of the board, Evo IX all the way.

I believe whenever one of these questions is asked, the OP has already has their mind made up on which car they would like, they just want reassure.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 06:53 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO

I believe whenever one of these questions is asked, the OP has already has their mind made up on which car they would like, they just want reassure.
Agreed. Unless looking for "look out for..." kinda stuff
Old Dec 24, 2018, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO

😃

Then I guess I am in the 10%.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
If you plan on modding go evo, I have had several co workers have there Subaru engines blow up with minor tuning.... tune, intake , and exhaust. I’m obviously bias but the evo is the better all around performance car. Glw your decision.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
All depends on if the car will be a daily or a weekend toy. The Sti will be more daily friendly with all the amenities of today’s features. But if your looking for a raw just want to have fun driver car then go with the evo. Like said above they take mods well make more power exc. most of my friends have sti or wrx and all wish they had gotten an evo.
SoSoEVO (Jan 3, 2019)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by wht95scort
All depends on if the car will be a daily or a weekend toy. The Sti will be more daily friendly with all the amenities of today’s features. But if your looking for a raw just want to have fun driver car then go with the evo. Like said above they take mods well make more power exc. most of my friends have sti or wrx and all wish they had gotten an evo.
This. I love my Evo but wouldn't buy another now that I'm 30. I've been driving a 3.0R Outback and while it isn't nearly as fast and handles a bit like a boat in the corners, I don't think I'd trade it back for the Evo. It was loud and not a real comfortable car for every-day stuff, but going up to the mountains, spirited driving and such was far better. Only that's not what I need a car for, I still have to get from A to B every day and it's really nice to have something quiet and comfy.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 08:41 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by llDemonll
This. I love my Evo but wouldn't buy another now that I'm 30. I've been driving a 3.0R Outback and while it isn't nearly as fast and handles a bit like a boat in the corners, I don't think I'd trade it back for the Evo. It was loud and not a real comfortable car for every-day stuff, but going up to the mountains, spirited driving and such was far better. Only that's not what I need a car for, I still have to get from A to B every day and it's really nice to have something quiet and comfy.
That's why you have both.

I wouldn't want to daily my Evo, either. I'm too old for that ,now.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Wow, I'm 50 and DD my IX since new and it's no issue to me as far as comfort. You youngsters need to toughen up
Ok, seriously, my car is stock except for a quiet aftermarket exhaust; a newer car has a lot of nice features that you'll probably appreciate if you aren't going to go wild with mods. My GF has a newer Outback and heated seats and mirrors are awesome! And of course, cruise control, satellite radio, trip computer... If I was in the market for a new or newer AWD sports car type vehicle I'd get an STi because I think it's going to be tough to find a nice IX now that hasn't been beat to death, extensively modified, etc.
Kevine326 (Jan 26, 2019)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_P
Wow, I'm 50 and DD my IX since new and it's no issue to me as far as comfort. You youngsters need to toughen up
That's funny, I'm 72 and I still run the KYB suspension in a town full of RR tracks and I keep reading how the Evo is not an old person's car. Ask me how I spent Christmas (Hint: wrenching on a broken Subaru).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
That's funny, I'm 72 and I still run the KYB suspension in a town full of RR tracks and I keep reading how the Evo is not an old person's car. Ask me how I spent Christmas (Hint: wrenching on a broken Subaru).
Ha! Well, you handily beat me for the old man of EvoM award; you'll live forever driving that car as it will keep you feeling young These spoiled kids today needing heated seats and mirrors and a cushy ride Back in my day we walked to school- in the snow, uphill, both ways! Ok, that's a joke but I actually had to a few times.

In a way, it's all relative I guess- my first two cars (~30 years ago) didn't even have air conditioning; power steering and power disc brakes were as much as they offered as far as comfort as they were 15-20 yrs old at the time. "Muscle cars" rode about as rough as an Evo, were slower, were more temperamental, and got 10-15 MPG. In my 2006 MR with AC, PW, PDL... I feel fairly modern until I ride in a newer car- which have advanced quite a lot.

Search this Thread