Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*

Old Mar 14, 2019, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Name User
Can someone explain the "have to" part? Cause I'm not doing any of this ****. I can pay fines, I don't give a ****, but I'm not returning anything back to stock. I'll register out of state if I have to.

What is there to return back to stock? Every last part is aftermarket. The valve cover, the oil pan and everything in between. Please smugly reply to this post with "can't do the time, don't do the crime" and put another thin blue line sticker on your bumper.
Sorry to say Name_User, but he is right. Every last thing has to go back to stock except for a quiet cat back exaust. Everything under the hood without a CARB number as well. They are irrationally uptight and strict about it. I have a few friends that claim if you sell the car to a friend and buy it back, the ref ticket will drop, but I don't believe them.

Originally Posted by evostanman
In my case I had to go back to stock. I wasn't too far in with my mods. Down pipe, cat, exhaust, cams, injectors and intake. All back to stock.

I think you're ok with the valve cover, oil pan and everything in between. They just look under your hood but most importantly they look for that damn CVN number.
Congrats on passing Evostanman,

I know the feeling very well. F!@# those guys. They waste so much of your time and effort. It really does put a bad taste to modding your car. I always preach to people that if you don't know how to work on your car in CA, don't you DARE touch it because if you have to return it to stock for a state ref, you'll be paying to reverse the work and THEN reinstall it . It's good that you know how. I have since built a "CA Referee kit" in my garage with all stock components for the unfortunate, stormy day. I guess it's better than having your car towed, impounded, or crushed by the ****'s.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
doing some quick searching it seems like it should be possible to set what ever reported CVN you like, or at least people have figured it out on other platforms. See here https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...VN-s-Explained. This could probably be added to the forced pass patch.
Nice find Biggie!

Anything that helps get us by this messed up test is gold. You might say that I was traumatized by my experience with the reff station. To add insult to injury, they don't even help schedule a visit for you. They want YOU to call the ref station, be put on hold, and schedule a visit to be scrutinized yourself lmao. That's like making someone schedule a date an time for a horseman to shoot them in the a$$ with an arrow because of some unreasonable rules that a distant dictator has created. Medieval thinking here....
Old Mar 14, 2019, 03:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Looks like ECUFlash V1.44 can read the CVN/checksum. Probably just need some additional XML to make a table and change the code.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-released.html
Old Mar 14, 2019, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Looks like ECUFlash V1.44 can read the CVN/checksum. Probably just need some additional XML to make a table and change the code.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-released.html

Agreed,

We can treat it just like the immobilizer code. Downloaded from the original base 9 rom and copy/paste it in
Old Mar 14, 2019, 04:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Can someone explain the "have to" part? Cause I'm not doing any of this ****. I can pay fines, I don't give a ****, but I'm not returning anything back to stock. I'll register out of state if I have to.

What is there to return back to stock? Every last part is aftermarket. The valve cover, the oil pan and everything in between. Please smugly reply to this post with "can't do the time, don't do the crime" and put another thin blue line sticker on your bumper.
I think you just explained it to yourself...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by empunker
I think you just explained it to yourself...

That's an option, but if they find out that you live and drive here, it can be called out as tax evasion. Still, i'd likely do it too You need someone to live out there and forward the mail about your car to you. You may also be pestered about registering your car to CA with the law enforcement.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Since Gavin is reading this thread, here's my proposal: I pay $200 per month for some miserable loser to drive around in an electric Fiat 500e, while I get an exemption and run a hood dump.

Everybody wins.

California is already a classist dystopia so let's keep going, let's feel good about capitalism. Moms love it, liberals love it, and I can learn to love it too.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Since Gavin is reading this thread, here's my proposal: I pay $200 per month for some miserable loser to drive around in an electric Fiat 500e, while I get an exemption and run a hood dump.

Everybody wins.

California is already a classist dystopia so let's keep going, let's feel good about capitalism. Moms love it, liberals love it, and I can learn to love it too.
This could work!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Reg in Montana with an LLC.
The following users liked this post:
MIL.SPEC Erik (Jun 15, 2019)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
What I have noticed is that CHP tends to leave you alone if you have out of state plates. I have yet to be harassed by them and there have been a couple times they could have easily pulled me over.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
What I have noticed is that CHP tends to leave you alone if you have out of state plates. I have yet to be harassed by them and there have been a couple times they could have easily pulled me over.
That's true, I've noticed that as well with a friend who just moved in from out of state. I find it best to fall back into the middle and right lanes when CHP is around. I've even pulled maneuvers like driving besides larger vehicles to hide away until the coast is clear. Out of site, out of mind.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Not true anymore, or at least since AB 1824 went into effect. CHP has started pulling over cars with out of state plates if they sound too loud and they see them more than a few times. Even if you have an out of state license to match, they could choose to build a case against you to prove you're a resident based on how often they've come across you and extract that $$$ CA wants.

Seriously though, this state keeps finding ways to make residents less free and pay up for B$. If I can get my job to let me work remote this year I'll for sure leave, otherwise I'll keep on my job hunt until I find something decent out of state.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why would anyone want to live in CA ?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letMeIn

The food, the weather, the diversity, and the women. It's expensive and frustrating, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to leave once you've been raised here . You just have to have the right connections.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pal215:
MIL.SPEC Erik (Jun 15, 2019), zeRep85RA (Mar 20, 2019)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The Exodus from CA has been going on for years & is accelerating. Ask those that live in NV / AZ / OR / WA / ID / MT

The price of my home in CA, i could cash purchase a 3K sq ft home in a neighboring state & have much money left over
The following users liked this post:
zeRep85RA (Mar 20, 2019)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got a good job here after college, can't complain about the weather either. Just the cities and state are run terribly so I'm looking to head back to the north east in the near future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*