Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
A tuner should know what what is needed for smog checks and incorporate into tune.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jan 5, 2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:47 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I've had two tuners make sure my car had all monitors checked....failed both times.
my car still has the evap, rear o2, egr, etc..so I just put it all to normal to pass.
I've never found a combination of on/off for the monitors that works for me.
I just found it easier to leave my car with all the stock stuff on it.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Still have no idea why anyone would roll into a California smog station with a open dump 02, non-oem cat, shiny catback and downpipe and expect it to go smoothly.
The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
2006EvoIXer (Jan 6, 2019), Pal215 (Jan 7, 2019)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 01:59 PM
kaj

Looks like he had someone willing to overlook the visual portion.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Well hopefully he passes the ref cause if he doesnt, a flag goes up for the shop that did the smog.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
**Update**

I fortunately found stock air box, dp, evo 9 CAT and exhaust this weekend. Since I do have cams I discussed this matter with Jon at 5150 and he will tweek my tune to pass inspection.

All I'm missing at this point is 02 housing and bolts here n there. I should be able to switch back to stock relatively easy. Should I remove the mani to remove dp or will I be able to from underneath?

just scheduled a date with the ref for the 28th, I'll keep everyone posted.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 09:52 AM
kaj

the downpipe is just two bolts from under the car. super easy.

If you have to unbolt the o2 housing, that's a bit more of a pain in the ***, but you should be able to do it while everything is still mounted. The nut in the "elbow" of the housing is a biatch LOL
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj

If you have to unbolt the o2 housing, that's a bit more of a pain in the ***, but you should be able to do it while everything is still mounted. The nut in the "elbow" of the housing is a biatch LOL
Personally, I'd pull the turbo out to change O2 housing. I wouldn't want to risk poking a hole in radiator.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj

I have the 02 dump style down pipe so there is no 02 housing (separately at least) I found a used one and slapping it on this weekend.

Luckily I have a half radiator so at least that won't get in my way lol
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

*Update*

After 2 months and 13 days, I finally passed my state ref. I tried working around (aka cheating) the system but there is no use for that. Anyone that gets reffed for DATA CHECK or anything related to that will have to completely go back to stock and flash the car.

If you are modded and tuned you will have to go back to stock and flash back to the stock tune. BAR looks for 2 things:

1. Your ECU must match your VIN
2. The CVN number that your ECU spits out has to match your original one that came from the dealer.

Every time your ECU is modified, whether it being for a simple tune or anything, your CVN # changes. It's a generated number so you can't possible have a tune and mess with that number.

In my experience, I went in with a force pass tune and fooled the inspection person and actually passed (this was 3 weeks ago)
The following day after passing I received a call from BAR stating that upon review they determined that my ECU was modified and needed to go back for another inspection.

So bottom line is if you get reffed for DATA CHECK or anything related to that you will need to go back to stock and flashed.

I'll be swinging by my local AAA to pick up my tags today!
The following 5 users liked this post by evostanman:
empunker (Mar 14, 2019), EV09AWD (May 22, 2019), lv05evo (Mar 13, 2019), Name User (Mar 13, 2019), Segfault (Nov 27, 2019)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks for the update

What a PITA, for sure
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evostanman
*Update*

After 2 months and 13 days, I finally passed my state ref. I tried working around (aka cheating) the system but there is no use for that. Anyone that gets reffed for DATA CHECK or anything related to that will have to completely go back to stock and flash the car.
Can someone explain the "have to" part? Cause I'm not doing any of this ****. I can pay fines, I don't give a ****, but I'm not returning anything back to stock. I'll register out of state if I have to.

What is there to return back to stock? Every last part is aftermarket. The valve cover, the oil pan and everything in between. Please smugly reply to this post with "can't do the time, don't do the crime" and put another thin blue line sticker on your bumper.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Name User
Can someone explain the "have to" part? Cause I'm not doing any of this ****. I can pay fines, I don't give a ****, but I'm not returning anything back to stock. I'll register out of state if I have to.

What is there to return back to stock? Every last part is aftermarket. The valve cover, the oil pan and everything in between. Please smugly reply to this post with "can't do the time, don't do the crime" and put another thin blue line sticker on your bumper.

In my case I had to go back to stock. I wasn't too far in with my mods. Down pipe, cat, exhaust, cams, injectors and intake. All back to stock.

I think you're ok with the valve cover, oil pan and everything in between. They just look under your hood but most importantly they look for that damn CVN number.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evostanman
In my case I had to go back to stock. I wasn't too far in with my mods. Down pipe, cat, exhaust, cams, injectors and intake. All back to stock.

I think you're ok with the valve cover, oil pan and everything in between. They just look under your hood but most importantly they look for that damn CVN number.
Ok, sorry I'm freakin' out, visually my mods are super discrete, but I'm imagining that scene with Bunk and McNulty feeling up all of my vacuum lines for the BBs I stuffed in there.

Old Mar 13, 2019, 05:44 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
doing some quick searching it seems like it should be possible to set what ever reported CVN you like, or at least people have figured it out on other platforms. See here https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...VN-s-Explained. This could probably be added to the forced pass patch.
The following 3 users liked this post by Biggiesacks:
lv05evo (Mar 14, 2019), Pal215 (Mar 14, 2019), SoSoEVO (Mar 14, 2019)

Quick Reply: Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*