Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 02:27 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by letMeIn
why would anyone want to live in CA ?
*Half a dozen or so really, really good race tracks.
*I live two hours from the beach
*I live only slightly farther from LA, SF, the state capital, Yosemite
*The weather
*Race tracks
*The weather
*Race tracks

I don't mind paying extra for all that. Dealing with law enforcement's B.S. sure is trying, though. Hell, I can't even import a 25yr old car like people in the other 49 states.

Originally Posted by seven10
Not true anymore, or at least since AB 1824 went into effect. CHP has started pulling over cars with out of state plates if they sound too loud and they see them more than a few times. Even if you have an out of state license to match, they could choose to build a case against you to prove you're a resident based on how often they've come across you and extract that $$$ CA wants.
When I moved from Washington, I had CHP threaten to impound my car since I had a CADL and out of state plates. They can really hassle you, if they want. Local PD too, according to him. Not that I believe everything CHP says, I have had them be completely wrong on many occasion.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 03:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The Exodus from CA has been going on for years & is accelerating. Ask those that live in NV / AZ / OR / WA / ID / MT

The price of my home in CA, i could cash purchase a 3K sq ft home in a neighboring state & have much money left over
Yes, and if you paid attention to the midterms, all the new California transplants here did a fine job of ****ing this state with their choices in voting.

Originally Posted by Pal215
The food, the weather, the diversity, and the women. It's expensive and frustrating, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to leave once you've been raised here . You just have to have the right connections.
None of that outweighs the lack of freedom and reckless squandering of tax revenue. I'm already considering leaving Nevada if things don't turn around after the next eelction.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So......have any of you thought about "moving" to a city that doesn't require smog?

Couple people in the Evo FB groups are claiming they have done it...and they have gotten their tags without a smog....

z
E
R
E
p
Old Mar 20, 2019, 04:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

None of that outweighs the lack of freedom and reckless squandering of tax revenue. I'm already considering leaving Nevada if things don't turn around after the next eelction.
It's not perfect to say the least and a lot of people who live here are actually awful, but on a day to day basis I don't personally feel any lack of freedom against anything other than my car stuff. I really did hate the curfew that some of the cities set for minors though. That really, REALLY sucked.

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
So......have any of you thought about "moving" to a city that doesn't require smog?

Couple people in the Evo FB groups are claiming they have done it...and they have gotten their tags without a smog....

z
E
R
E
p
Please elaborate on this "moving" technique if possible. I'm interested.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 04:47 PM
kaj

z
E
R
E
p

My sister used to live in a town that didn't require smog, but she wouldn't let me use her address. Now, smog isn't really my problem. I put on the cat and it passes fine. My issue is passing visual, at any other time. If an LEO decided to look under my car, right now, and see no cat, I'm busted, no matter where my car is registered. The car still has to meet smog requirements. Or so I'm told.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
It's not perfect to say the least and a lot of people who live here are actually awful, but on a day to day basis I don't personally feel any lack of freedom against anything other than my car stuff. I really did hate the curfew that some of the cities set for minors though. That really, REALLY sucked.

Ever been out to Needles? They dont have smog. But its also in the middle of nowhere.... I have heard of people buying a small piece of land for next to nothing and use that as their registration address. But what happens when you get a noise violation ticket? Still has to go to a state ref.

Originally Posted by kaj
My sister used to live in a town that didn't require smog, but she wouldn't let me use her address. Now, smog isn't really my problem. I put on the cat and it passes fine. My issue is passing visual, at any other time. If an LEO decided to look under my car, right now, and see no cat, I'm busted, no matter where my car is registered. The car still has to meet smog requirements. Or so I'm told.
All factory smog equipment must remain on the vehicle to be federally legal. So it must still have a cat but I dont think it says it must be an OEM cat. That meaning a 100 cell is still legal since its still a cat.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 05:22 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
All factory smog equipment must remain on the vehicle to be federally legal. So it must still have a cat but I dont think it says it must be an OEM cat. That meaning a 100 cell is still legal since its still a cat.
I guess that would be better than nothing. Then again, you could hollow it out and be mostly good to go.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah unfortunately visual inspection is still a problem...

​​​​​​The people who are posting these in the groups are trying to charge people $200 to do it.

What do they do that one can't? Not sure...just change your address on the DMV site and change your ins and viola?

Need to look into it further

z
E
R
E
p
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I dug up the convo my buddy had....

and she wants $350 not $200

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I dug up the convo my buddy had....

and she wants $350 not $200

Yeah, that's how much my friend pays as well with his contact. Apparently there are certain ways to get the registration for your car (which is all we really care about) without following the smog every 2 years rule. They just approve your registration and hit the snooze button on the smog requirement for your car over and over.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
This is my solution for a cop getting on all 4's to see if i have a cat lol. Its a test pipe with a cat heatshield, its not fool proof but at a quick glance I would say it looks legit.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
When I moved from Washington, I had CHP threaten to impound my car since I had a CADL and out of state plates. They can really hassle you, if they want. Local PD too, according to him. Not that I believe everything CHP says, I have had them be completely wrong on many occasion.
No doubt, cops or chp are both make mistakes or bend the interpretation of the law to hassle people. In the past when I've come up against situations like that I just rolled with it and didn't confront them and then immediately got any citation thrown out after. I'd probably be more likely to argue if it came down to impounding my car on false pretenses.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 01:20 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by seven10
No doubt, cops or chp are both make mistakes or bend the interpretation of the law to hassle people. In the past when I've come up against situations like that I just rolled with it and didn't confront them and then immediately got any citation thrown out after. I'd probably be more likely to argue if it came down to impounding my car on false pretenses.
Yeah. Calling them on their mistakes only makes the situation worse. They don't like being questioned.

Originally Posted by unkn0wn.
This is my solution for a cop getting on all 4's to see if i have a cat lol. Its a test pipe with a cat heatshield, its not fool proof but at a quick glance I would say it looks legit.
I pulled the heat shields off my cat and did the same. It should work for the casual observer.

I can say not having the hassle of smog would be pretty nice. One less thing to worry about. Paying/dealing with smog on a car I drive 2-3k miles per year pisses me off a little.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by unkn0wn.
I ran one of those too.....but if you get pulled over the smell is a dead giveaway...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 04:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by whtrice
I ran one of those too.....but if you get pulled over the smell is a dead giveaway...
Yep, you're right. We cant win em all /: *knocks on wood*

Quick Reply: Failed SMOG in CA *PLEASE HELP*