Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I think the minimum fine (if they want to be nice) is $197. No longer is it $25 when corrected. And the ref will force correction. How does this law make the streets any safer? Lawmakers have their priorities in the wrong areas. Raise the exhibition of speed fines if you want to make streets safer. Raise the speeding fines to make streets safer. Raise driving uninsured/unregistered vehical fines to make the street safer. How on earth did they think making exhaust silent will make streets safer? These is just stupid people running our government and adopting idiotic laws to claim safety. Does our California government have anyone that understands logic?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mr Kenji from Greddy

View this post on Instagram
Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I think the minimum fine (if they want to be nice) is $197. No longer is it $25 when corrected. And the ref will force correction. How does this law make the streets any safer? Lawmakers have their priorities in the wrong areas. Raise the exhibition of speed fines if you want to make streets safer. Raise the speeding fines to make streets safer. Raise driving uninsured/unregistered vehical fines to make the street safer. How on earth did they think making exhaust silent will make streets safer? These is just stupid people running our government and adopting idiotic laws to claim safety. Does our California government have anyone that understands logic?
Yah so like i said, you just cant get it corrected and pay the admin fee anymore. Its not about safety, its about clean air and pushing people towards electric cars. Its just like with smoking, they make it harder to try and push people away from it. Slowly turning the screws over time.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the update. On second page, "unless proven by authorities" Means they should have a calibrated decibel meter with them to use every time they issue a citation. Aren't we all innocent until proven guilty? I agree that cops are enforcing the law wrong (how does their training get approved?).
If it sounds over 95 db to cop, that's not proof. It's an opinion. I hate it when cops think you are braking the law and issuing tickets based on that. I've gotten a ticket in Irvine many years ago for running a red. I went to Costa Mesa court to fight ticket. Cop read his notes, "I wasn't paying attention, but you ran a red light." I looked at judge and repeated "he wasn't paying attention, so how did I run a red?"
Judge responds, "he's a witness, you're guilty, pay the fine."
Yes, cop and judge were both very Caucasian. I'm Asian in red RX-7 driving girlfriend to work. We ran a yellow because I told gf that it will turn yellow on us, which it did. I now have a dashcam on every car I drive with GPS to record my speed at all times. If I didn't have my dashcam with GPS clearly stamped on it, I'm certain I would have gotten a worse ticket. I saw how he stared at it when asking for my license & registration. He asked twice if I was owner of my evo because he was focused on my dashcam instead of listening to my response.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Yah so like i said, you just cant get it corrected and pay the admin fee anymore. Its not about safety, its about clean air and pushing people towards electric cars. Its just like with smoking, they make it harder to try and push people away from it. Slowly turning the screws over time.
Clean air? They need to go after those big trucks coming and going from other states. I see half of those out of state semis spew black and thick white smoke every morning as I drive to work. Those trucks probably pollute more in 1 day than I do in a year, granted, I drive about 5,000 miles/year and run E85 most of the time.

Also, in that YouTube video, cop was saying a bunch of stupid things, like cars like these are causing fatalities. Wrong, it's the drivers. Don't blame the car and target "cars like these". Give me a break from these moronic logic from people with power.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:16 AM

unfortunately the police aren't required to understand the laws they are enforcing. Trucking/hauling has seen a ton of regulation from California too.

to be clear though this guys case is probably an outlier, and I am very pro clean air.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

unfortunately the police aren't required to understand the laws they are enforcing. Trucking/hauling has seen a ton of regulation from California too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDTZkLh0WK0

to be clear though this guys case is probably an outlier, and I am very pro clean air.
Don't get me wrong, I always have a cat. I made sure the HFC in my evo will pass smog sniffer test before I bought it. With E85, it's even cleaner. I just get pissed seeing untrained people lecturing with bad reasoning. Anyway, my dashcam will continue to record to keep the cops as honest as they can.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:29 AM

I hear yah, just keep in mind the bar to becoming a LEO seems pretty low to me considering the amount of power we give them. At the same time though we don't want to pay public servants appropriately (IMO) so we get what we pay for.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDTZkLh0WK0

I'm surprised this guy's trucks weren't grandfathered in. You can't expect businesses to buy expensive equipment today to meet future requirements. That's asinine that they wouldn't give him certificates to run his business. I didn't watch to end but I hope he sued and won.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I'm surprised this guy's trucks weren't grandfathered in. You can't expect businesses to buy expensive equipment today to meet future requirements. That's asinine that they wouldn't give him certificates to run his business. I didn't watch to end but I hope he sued and won.
Up here in the bay a few years ago they started requiring trucks to meet a certain standard to haul cargo from the shipping ports, was a pretty big deal at the time.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I hear yah, just keep in mind the bar to becoming a LEO seems pretty low to me considering the amount of power we give them. At the same time though we don't want to pay public servants appropriately (IMO) so we get what we pay for.
Take a close look at the salaries of management vs normal public servants. Then you will know that we do pay enough, but the few is taking the lion's share and leaving scraps for the rest. That's why only the rest is limited to those that can't find a job anywhere else. Don't ask how I know. At least not here.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Up here in the bay a few years ago they started requiring trucks to meet a certain standard to haul cargo from the shipping ports, was a pretty big deal at the time.
I understand, but we can't discriminate companies that purchased legal equipment years ago when that was all that was available. Make him do extra maintenance to ensure the least smog on his trucks. If it's still running, he's doing a good job maintaining his trucks.
The trucks I'm seeing each morning will leave a line of smoke 3-6 car lengrhs. I've seen white (coolant) and black (running too rich) smoke. Occasionally, I'll see smoke spread over 2 lanes. When I look at their plates, none are registered in California. So this fine state is punishing companies that pay taxes. Makes you wonder why any would stay here instead of having a satellite office here and main head quarters in Vegas so they don't pay state income taxes. Hmmm...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:00 AM

its a rabbit hole for sure, and certainly not as simple as just paying people more money.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Police in large area's make good money, and have great retirement. I have a few LEO friends here in Vegas, they are all just regular cops with 7-10yrs on the force, and all of them pull $100k+ with overtime. All of them could have easily promoted to sergeant around year 4 or 5 and be pulling closer to 150, but they didn't want to deal with the extra responsibility and politics that come with it.

That being said, these laws you get in California are the direct action of who you vote into office. If you want to move elsewhere to avoid these laws and have more freedom, please keep that in mind when voting...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:17 AM

as California goes more electric we will need other states to pollute in to make our energy, so if you do move there don't **** it up for us, let em keep polluting.

Quick Reply: Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!