Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:18 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
The state got funds to battle "street racing" and "side shows" or whatever they are called. Now they have to demonstrate use. My town went through this a few years back when we got a $1,000,000 grant to battle "street racing". I won't get into the details but it was all a scam. I got caught up in it a time or two. Fun stuff.

From the credible information I can find:
This law is similar to the old one, other than the fine is raised and you now must go to the ref to clear it; no sign offs.
PD doesn't have to prove your car is over the dB limit. It's at their discretion.

It seems they are out in force to justify the additional money they have received. For how long, how knows? Our hood-popping thing lasted about three years. Hopefully, they only harass people that are out being a-holes (not that I think it's okay) and leave the rest of us alone. It only takes one cop, who is having a bad day, to cost me a couple days off of work to see the ref and go to court.

side note: big rig owners were offered incentives to ditch their old trucks and buy newer ones that pass newer emissions standards. The one I know opted to keep his old truck, as the new ones and units that had been retrofitted were blowing engines (a cat on one of these trucks is a really bad idea). He had to pay really high registration fees, but it outweighed the down time from having a broken truck.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:20 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That being said, these laws you get in California are the direct action of who you vote into office. If you want to move elsewhere to avoid these laws and have more freedom, please keep that in mind when voting...
When you have millions of illegal aliens voting Democrat, the rest of us moderates and conservatives don't stand a chance.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cali is a tough state, I've traveled there many times rarely see Cops or have ever dealt with them. A lot of truth to the statement of over regulation. CA has the largest number of citizens in the US living there, regulation is going to happen and the elected people need to substantiate their existence.

Cops are not regulated by anyone really, so whatever they say is the law. That is why they get away with so much BS. The judges will side with them most every time because it keeps the system protected and keeps the cycle going. This is why we are hearing more and more cases about abuse and wrongful imprisonment. I do think we should hear more about it but it often never gets enough publicity. Cops have a ****ty job as they face the worst side of society too. We expect Police to go after the criminals and fight crime, they are a life and have families too. Do you think they want to stare down criminals who are often more equipped then they are? I think most cops become cops because of pay, not to fight crime. The criminal justice system is a joke and those who represent it all know it. Once you are caught up in it, most will remain back in trouble or just never be able to get ahead in life as it is meant to keep you down.

Last edited by Wanted EVO IX; Jan 10, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:23 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If you consider yourself a conservative, you might wanna leave California, unless you are also a masochist.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:25 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
Cali is a tough state, I've traveled there many times rarely see Cops or have ever dealt with them. A lot of truth to the statement of over regulation. CA has the largest number of citizens in the US living there, regulation is going to happen and the elected people need to substantiate their existence.

Cops are not regulated by anyone really, so whatever they say is the law. That is why they get away with so much BS. The judges will side with them most every time because it keeps the system protected and keeps the cycle going. This is why we are hearing more and more cases about abuse and wrongful imprisonment. I do think we should hear more about it but it often never gets enough publicity. Cops have a ****ty job as they face the worst side of society too. We expect Police to go after the criminals and fight crime, they are a life and have families too. Do you think they want to stare down criminals who are often more equipped then they are? I think most cops become cops because of pay, not to fight crime. The criminal justice system is a joke and those who represent it all know it. Once you are caught up in it, most will remain back in trouble or just never be able to get ahead in life as it is meant to keep you down.

​​​​​​​Well, that took a left turn

Last edited by kaj; Jan 10, 2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:27 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
just saying lol, we are way past reading the tea leaves here.

Don't believe me? Go slap a Trump bumper sticker on your car and see what happens.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:37 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks

Don't believe me? Go slap a Trump bumper sticker on your car and see what happens.
My post was to the one before yours. You must have posted at the same time Fixed.

I can't leave because school, family, and more race tracks than I can shake a stick at
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
That man had a nice story in that court video.

Yeah, I signed that petition and supported it a few days ago. Having been born and raised in CA I can tell you first hand that there has always been an effort to make modifying cars look criminal here. That's not going to change because the people making the laws are totally uneducated on the matter. On top of that, instead of seeing the 80% of us who use our cars respectfully, they pay close attention to the 20% of idiots who ruin it for the rest of us. It's a punishment as much as it is a way for the state to source more income.

We just have to discover alternate ways to defeat the system. This includes finding a resource on the other side or keeping all your stock parts and saying F it, i'll pay the fine. Easier said than done, but what other choice do we have if we want to stay in this hobby and be in CA? It's the state ref thing that worries me. They are not easy to deal with by any measure.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

That being said, these laws you get in California are the direct action of who you vote into office. If you want to move elsewhere to avoid these laws and have more freedom, please keep that in mind when voting...
this^
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:44 AM
kaj

I have an issue with public order crimes in general... so obviously ridiculous laws like this really irritate me
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah it has definitely gotten out of hand over here. I always tell people that the easiest way to make and keep friends at any party is to not bring up religion or politics. Overall there are many far left, but there are also far right when we need more beliefs in between the two IMO.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I have an issue with public order crimes in general... so obviously ridiculous laws like this really irritate me
Yeah, I know what you mean. We like to claim that we can do anything we want here, but there are so many laws.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
What are all the exhaust shops going to do now if exhaust cant be modified? Are they all going to shut down cause they would be doing illegal work? Are aftermarket exhaust companies going to come out with exhaust with CARB approval numbers?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
That man had a nice story in that court video.

Yeah, I signed that petition and supported it a few days ago. Having been born and raised in CA I can tell you first hand that there has always been an effort to make modifying cars look criminal here. That's not going to change because the people making the laws are totally uneducated on the matter. On top of that, instead of seeing the 80% of us who use our cars respectfully, they pay close attention to the 20% of idiots who ruin it for the rest of us. It's a punishment as much as it is a way for the state to source more income.

We just have to discover alternate ways to defeat the system. This includes finding a resource on the other side or keeping all your stock parts and saying F it, i'll pay the fine. Easier said than done, but what other choice do we have if we want to stay in this hobby and be in CA? It's the state ref thing that worries me. They are not easy to deal with by any measure.
I won't have a problem dealing with ref since I can quickly return my car back to stock. It's the time to deal with entire thing that I don't have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!