Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Old Feb 7, 2019, 06:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I've also attached heat shields to a test pipe. Rattled like a back of aluminum cans
Old Feb 7, 2019, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
I've done this before. You can drill the oem heat shield off the evo stock cat and have the top side welded to your resonated test pipe. The bottom side can be bolted in place by drilling 4 holes into the top heat shield where the spot welds used to be. If you just bolt it on and rely on the pressure of the metal, it will rattle. It looks like an oem cat even though it's a 3" TP
Nice, I just don't want to ruin my real cat in case I need it, so want to find a similar heatshield.

Originally Posted by kaj
I've also attached heat shields to a test pipe. Rattled like a back of aluminum cans
I saw some S2000 guy wrap it in heat wrap first, I'm guessing this would help the noise: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/florida-...hield-1028595/
Old Feb 7, 2019, 08:01 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Name User
Nice, I just don't want to ruin my real cat in case I need it, so want to find a similar heatshield.

I saw some S2000 guy wrap it in heat wrap first, I'm guessing this would help the noise: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/florida-...hield-1028595/
That's a good idea. Should be able to hide it.

I'll try that tomorrow.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If you guys are worried about sound u should just get my exhaust and throw on a heat shield on the resonator it's quiet as stock making big power.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/market/752603
Old Feb 11, 2019, 09:27 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
So a Ca cop can determine between 95 (or is it 90 for cars made after 1983?) and 86?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...-exhaust-modes

Significant difference I guess, but loud either way.
Lucky for me I hate loud, but NJ usually ends up with the crap Ca started.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 09:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by OX
So a Ca cop can determine between 95 (or is it 90 for cars made after 1983?) and 86?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...-exhaust-modes

Significant difference I guess, but loud either way.
Lucky for me I hate loud, but NJ usually ends up with the crap Ca started.
My understanding is this:
  • The officer can cite a Calif driver if he believes the exhaust has been modified or too load. Its up the owner to prove otherwise (i.e. going to the state referee)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 02:05 PM
kaj

And the only difference is: it's not longer a fix-it ticket. No more getting them signed off.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I’ve been seeing a lot of people bring up this topic on Facebook. Several are selling their cars because they don’t want to deal with CA laws and regs. Not sure what to believe with those posting their cars for sale for that reason... There has to be a solution to this. In my case I have a down pipe to a catalytic converter to an Invida exhaust. My car turns out 89 dbs at wide open throttle. I also don’t live in CA, but those cruiser motorcycles with the open pipes are often louder than the cars. Would this law be cracking down on them?
Motorcycles are completely exempt from the law. They won't say it, but so are domestic cars. This law is targeting the japanese import community without a doubt. Apparently it's "supposed to stop sideshows", because we know how much those guys care about the law.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:26 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
End of the day you aren't any more likely to get pulled over for exhaust now vs then because that part of the law hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is IF you do get pulled over for loud exhaust its just more likely that you will have to pay a fine. If this is a bridge too far for you, and your selling your car or putting it back to stock w/e, maybe you weren't really that into it to begin with. Maybe I'm wrong and there are other angles of this I'm not seeing?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:40 PM
kaj

I don't think it's about being into it so much as only now has the internet blown it up enough to scare people. Rumors of Hunting imports and giving out $1000 fines even had me worried. Especially since my town actually does stuff like that, any time they get extra funding or are attempting to establish a "need" for it.
We all know CHP is about revenue (Via enforcing public order crimes), so it wouldn't surprise any of us if they actually did make a big push for all this. It's not too far of a stretch.
I can't speak for those in other cities, of course.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:49 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The thing is, its not like the police couldn't already do that. It was always on the menu for them to give you a fine. I have been fined for things that could have been correctable, but for what ever reason the cop fined me.

I guess what I'm not understanding are people just being cheap, or are they legit scared, or just misunderstanding? Like I said before, I'm all for changing the law. I guess I just don't understand the panic.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Feb 12, 2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
freedom, murica

Old Feb 12, 2019, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Just because your car has a loud exhaust doesn't mean you participate in felonious activities such as that. This is a classic example of a large subset of generally law abiding people being punished for the actions of idiots.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Just because your car has a loud exhaust doesn't mean you participate in felonious activities such as that. This is a classic example of a large subset of generally law abiding people being punished for the actions of idiots.
then you got nothing to worry about. the law hasn't changed. the punishment has.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 02:53 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
The thing is, its not like the police couldn't already do that. It was always on the menu for them to give you a fine. I have been fined for things that could have been correctable, but for what ever reason the cop fined me.

I guess what I'm not understanding are people just being cheap, or are they legit scared, or just misunderstanding? Like I said before, I'm all for changing the law. I guess I just don't understand the panic.
The short version of my post = rumor has it fines are increased, can't get it signed off, they are now actively looking to write tickets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!