Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 03:14 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
The short version of my post = rumor has it fines are increased, can't get it signed off, they are now actively looking to write tickets.
Haha yah you did already give a good answer. I'm just a little slow today.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't recall ever getting into shootouts with the police or joining ISIS, but I am no longer allowed to use my thumb to safely hold my rifle. I don't recall ever participating in a sideshow, but now I have to coast in neutral next to squad cars as if I did.

A completely 100% stock Fiat 500 Abarth is over the 95db limit. It's a **** law.

Laws aren't the answer, especially to problems that don't exist.

There's a bunch of lame apologists on Jalopnik and Youtube talking about how this law isn't a big deal, but these fines are in fact a big deal to people who can't afford them. They say the minimum fine is something like $100, but fail to mention all the court fees bull**** that drives that back up to over $300. Personally, I was never going to return anything to stock anyway, my plan was to keep paying fines until I'd get sick of it and register out of state. But other people don't have that option and shouldn't be punished for it. It's class discrimination.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
this is an aftermarket exhaust law, correct?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I just had a customer come in from Los Angeles and he said they are cracking down out there like none other. Oddly enough, he was talking about trucks and domestic vehicles, not imports.

And as I am typing this, I hear some V8 powered something or other right outside. Get up from my desk and see a Silverado doing donuts in the middle of the street. I dont know about you guys but Silverados slammed on 26" wheels are the terrors of the streets around here.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 05:00 PM

trying to frame this as a social justice issue is a pretty heavy lift. Modding your car is a hobby, not a necessity.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
trying to frame this as a social justice issue is a pretty heavy lift. Modding your car is a hobby, not a necessity.
It's a social justice issue because the enforcement is arbitrary. I'll still be claiming that **** on my way into the incinerator many years from now.

Whistle tips are more American than exploiting the working class.

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!-akqxfxx.png

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!-jwufri2.png

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!-vzp7cq1.png

What's next?

"POOR" HOUSEHOLDS
12.4%
HAVE A MODIFIED EXHAUST
Old Feb 12, 2019, 06:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Once they pass that "Green New Deal" we wont have to worry about this thread topic no mo (haha)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:05 PM

I would argue that loud exhausts disproportionately harm lower income communities.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

I would argue that loud exhausts disproportionately harm lower income communities.
Yeah, same with police shootings. Why do these people keep doing this to themselves? I can't seem to figure it out.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Name User
Yeah, same with police shootings. Why do these people keep doing this to themselves? I can't seem to figure it out.
Its pretty messed up to compare something like police shootings with car exhausts. Police involved shootings are actually something people should care about.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Years ago my neighbor had a truck with straight pipes. His habit was to fire it up at 6:00 A.M. every morning and let it idle until he left the house. He did this seven days a week. I'd suggest nobody for a block around owned an alarm clock, there was no need.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:42 PM

Name_User what do you see?

Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:42 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Its pretty messed up to compare something like police shootings with car exhausts. Police involved shootings are actually something people should care about.
Meh, we'll just continue to blame it on the police and racism then move on to anything that makes scary noises. Uh oh... political jab. Kidding. I don't wast me time discussing politics or religion.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
Meh, we'll just continue to blame it on the police and racism then move on to anything that makes scary noises. Uh oh... political jab. Kidding. I don't wast me time discussing politics or religion.
haha well this thread has reached absurdity anyway so that's pretty much in the same ballpark.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

My point is that it's a trigger for police encounters. The noisy Civic gets pulled over, the Aston Martin probably not. Class and race get compounded and these situations escalate.

You know how some firearms enthusiasts are absolutely against any gun control measures, which includes defending useless and ridiculous things like bump stocks? Well, I'm like that with exhausts. Neither bump stocks nor whistle tips are causes of irresponsible antisocial behavior. It's "feel good" legislation, it's performative.

Lames at home are comforted knowing that "something is being done" while sideshow meatheads in flip flops crawl out of their mustangs and get tazed. We're not really addressing the causes here, instead we're finding excuses.

Originally Posted by barneyb
Years ago my neighbor had a truck with straight pipes. His habit was to fire it up at 6:00 A.M. every morning and let it idle until he left the house. He did this seven days a week. I'd suggest nobody for a block around owned an alarm clock, there was no need.
That's pretty obnoxious, probably way past 95db though. Either way I'd talk to him instead of calling the cops.

Quick Reply: Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!