Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nullify Fines For Loud Mufflers In California!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:58 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
haha well this thread has reached absurdity anyway so that's pretty much in the same ballpark.
We're all weird, here, so it's expected for threads to take a "turn" eventually. Every time the topic has been exhausted. Oooooh, Pun-ny.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 07:43 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
We're all weird, here, so it's expected for threads to take a "turn" eventually. Every time the topic has been exhausted. Oooooh, Pun-ny.
Hold my beer
Originally Posted by Name User
My point is that it's a trigger for police encounters. The noisy Civic gets pulled over, the Aston Martin probably not. Class and race get compounded and these situations escalate.

You know how some firearms enthusiasts are absolutely against any gun control measures, which includes defending useless and ridiculous things like bump stocks? Well, I'm like that with exhausts. Neither bump stocks nor whistle tips are causes of irresponsible antisocial behavior. It's "feel good" legislation, it's performative.

Lames at home are comforted knowing that "something is being done" while sideshow meatheads in flip flops crawl out of their mustangs and get tazed. We're not really addressing the causes here, instead we're finding excuses.

That's pretty obnoxious, probably way past 95db though. Either way I'd talk to him instead of calling the cops.
I am perfectly willing to acknowledge the need for reform in our Judicial system government but what your advocating for is anarchy. We can't have laws or regulations, because if you violate them then you might encounter LEO? That's not a workable solution. You can't compare Vehicle code to 2A because your right to operate your vehicle on public roads was not amended to the constitution. Police are just people like everyone else, if we all walked in their shoes I'm sure we would have more empathy for the situations we put them in. That's not an excuse, we grant them a lot of privilege and authority, and they should be held to a higher standard because of it. It's my opinion that right now we seem to be holding them to a lower standard legally speaking then everyone else and that is a big problem.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
This excellent post would make the perfect tombstone for this thread. But until then,

Hold my beer

I am perfectly willing to acknowledge the need for reform in our Judicial system government but what your advocating for is anarchy.
Yup, the word is somewhat misunderstood though. This is Murray, he used to build cars, he's a social ecologist. Relevant to a thread about mufflers.

We can't have laws or regulations, because if you violate them then you might encounter LEO? That's not a workable solution. You can't compare Vehicle code to 2A because your right to operate your vehicle on public roads was not amended to the constitution. Police are just people like everyone else, if we all walked in their shoes I'm sure we would have more empathy for the situations we put them in. That's not an excuse, we grant them a lot of privilege and authority, and they should be held to a higher standard because of it. It's my opinion that right now we seem to be holding them to a lower standard legally speaking then everyone else and that is a big problem.
I'm not going to walk in their shoes because I have a real job and a moral compass.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 04:23 PM

I'm not going to walk in their shoes because I have a real job and a moral compass.
without rule of law you would have neither.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

without rule of law you would have neither.
There is just no way I can stay on the topic of mufflers and keep responding to this. An environmentalist prison abolitionist is the best I got, otherwise I have to drag 20s Ukraine and 30s Spain and Korea into this.

Bubb Rubb good, J. Edgar Hoover bad.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 09:04 PM
kaj

This escalated quickly.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 09:13 PM

There is just no way I can stay on the topic of mufflers and keep responding to this. An environmentalist prison abolitionist is the best I got, otherwise I have to drag 20s Ukraine and 30s Spain and Korea into this.

Bubb Rubb good, J. Edgar Hoover bad.
You can save the crackpot youtube videos for the flat earth thread. If you want to make an argument you should at least be able to articulate it in your own words.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

You can save the crackpot youtube videos for the flat earth thread. If you want to make an argument you should at least be able to articulate it in your own words.

Cops have to fail an IQ test in order to complete the academy. They believe in enforcing the law, regardless of what the law is. I don't want to interact with them, especially not over some tubes. I think laws like the one we're discussing in this thread normalize harsh prosecution of victimless crimes. These laws add to an arsenal of weaponized fear. California's persecution of gun ownership is a great example of our automotive future. No pistol grips, no catalytic converters, no adjustable stocks, no race seats, no aftermarket triggers, no aftermarket wheels. It'll go on and on until you're in gutless, public transport, electric zipcar hell along with everyone else who can't afford the luxury or privilege of owning a performance car or protecting themselves with a weapon.

Also, anarchy is nice, it's about sharing and caring.

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 14, 2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 06:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Gents

Its been a good conversation / topic, but maybe this has run its course?
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Feb 14, 2019)
Old Oct 31, 2019, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'm re-opening this, at least briefly -

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30117/...hicle-exhausts

i remembered reading this and forgot - the bill is gone, correct? back to fix-it tickets. lot of uproar when it happened, no one gives two ****s when it goes away
Old Oct 31, 2019, 07:53 AM

I heard about that too, just a little bit of proof that the system does work.

Bad news always travels faster than good.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
OH snaps...it went into effect immediately and not Jan 2020.

zeRep
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:04 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo

i remembered reading this and forgot - the bill is gone, correct? back to fix-it tickets. lot of uproar when it happened, no one gives two ****s when it goes away
When things go well, there is no uproar, we just all celebrate among ourselves. You'll never see people marching the streets in celebration for smaller things like this, so much as you would protest. At least that's how I see it.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for re-opening up this thread kyoo. Here are the links for more info.

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...nia/u/25156459

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/cali...d-by-governor/

Sorry Kaj I posted up the links in the CA failed smog sticky, because this thread was closed. I know it really didn't have anything to do with that thread, but people were getting popped and state ref for loud exhausts, and wanted to share the good news.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Oct 31, 2019)