Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to build a double pumper fuel system.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
How to build a double pumper fuel system.

About 5 years ago my buddy wrote a post on how to on build your own double pumper. The original post can be found here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo8-9-a.html

He and I about a month ago started our own YouTube channel. He is currently in the process of doing a high horsepower build for a friend of ours in which we are documenting so I thought that I would share the video with the community for those that are interested building one themselves.

Video is located at:

Last edited by cficare68; Feb 19, 2019 at 03:29 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare68
About 5 years ago my buddy wrote a post on how to on build your own double pumper. The original post can be found here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo8-9-a.html

He and I about a month ago started our own YouTube channel. He is currently in the process of doing a high horsepower build for a friend of ours in which we are documenting so I thought that I would share the video with the community for those that are interested building one themselves.

Video is located at: https://youtu.be/-0bf8rt3r3Q

can yall build them for us if we sent you the housing?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:31 AM
NP

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121

Interested in this to. already have the pumps and housing.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121

ill talk to Nate to confirm but i don't see why he wouldn't. I personally have one that he built as well as a few evo locally in the area. Let me see what he says and ill get back to you all individually.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

I talked to him and if anyone is wanting to have him build you a kit fill free to email him directly at snailfedperformance@gmail.com and he can give you a quote depending on what you need to have done.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 03:42 AM
NP

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare68
I talked to him and if anyone is wanting to have him build you a kit fill free to email him directly at snailfedperformance@gmail.com and he can give you a quote depending on what you need to have done.
Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Built this setup a few years ago, modified quite a bit from the original design, and I eventually removed it and installed a Radium double pump hanger.

The first issue I had was the way the pumps were held to the section that's left of the original hanger. I found using a worm clamp twisted the pumps, lifting the intake section from the horizontal and put unnecessary strain on the rubber hose connectors on the pump outlets. I ended up installing a threaded rod arrangement that utilised two steel pipe clamps, one on each pump, that meet in the middle between the pumps and attach to the threaded rod. This is a much neater and stronger design than the one in the original post and holds the pumps perfectly aligned.

The second change I made was to utilise two feed lines and a larger return line. It's kinda pointless installing two 460's and only using the stock feed and return lines. My setup used two oem feed lines, one for each pump. I cut the engine bay ends off these hard lines and used aeroflow compression fitting adapters that allowed me to attach dash 6 hoses to each hard-line. The two dash hoses joined in a Y block and continued on with a dash 8 hose the Radium fuel rail I use. For the return I used an aluminium 3/8 anodised hard line back to the hanger return and replaced the little 1/4" return port on top of the hanger with a larger feed port from an old hanger I had. The pumps were staged, fed their signal from a Link ECU.

The biggest issue I had with this setup, and what eventually led me to remove the hanger and install a Radium version, was the sealing on the power wires leading from the pumps to the outside of the hanger. I tried various ways of doing this, different sealants and gasket arrangements, but no matter what I tried I just couldn't get the setup to be completely leak free. After my last attempt at sealing the wires I had the car up on its side with the two right hand wheels up off the ground (working on the exhaust) and fuel started to slowly drip out from under the car, coming from where the wires exited the hanger. I wasn't comfortable having anything but a 100% leak free setup especially with using E85 leaking near the exhaust system, and as I couldn't achieve this I removed the hanger.
I guess if you are able to run some kind of pass-through power setup this might work out ok, but space on top of the hanger is seriously limited with the extra feed port and larger return. You need to address this before you go chopping up a hanger, it's a critical step. Just on chopping up the hanger, use some kind of respirator, the fumes emitted when doing this smells like death, and probably will lead to yours if you breathe in a few lung fulls.
​​​​​​
​​​
​​​​​
Old Feb 22, 2019, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Built this setup a few years ago, modified quite a bit from the original design, and I eventually removed it and installed a Radium double pump hanger.

The first issue I had was the way the pumps were held to the section that's left of the original hanger. I found using a worm clamp twisted the pumps, lifting the intake section from the horizontal and put unnecessary strain on the rubber hose connectors on the pump outlets. I ended up installing a threaded rod arrangement that utilised two steel pipe clamps, one on each pump, that meet in the middle between the pumps and attach to the threaded rod. This is a much neater and stronger design than the one in the original post and holds the pumps perfectly aligned.

The second change I made was to utilise two feed lines and a larger return line. It's kinda pointless installing two 460's and only using the stock feed and return lines. My setup used two oem feed lines, one for each pump. I cut the engine bay ends off these hard lines and used aeroflow compression fitting adapters that allowed me to attach dash 6 hoses to each hard-line. The two dash hoses joined in a Y block and continued on with a dash 8 hose the Radium fuel rail I use. For the return I used an aluminium 3/8 anodised hard line back to the hanger return and replaced the little 1/4" return port on top of the hanger with a larger feed port from an old hanger I had. The pumps were staged, fed their signal from a Link ECU.

The biggest issue I had with this setup, and what eventually led me to remove the hanger and install a Radium version, was the sealing on the power wires leading from the pumps to the outside of the hanger. I tried various ways of doing this, different sealants and gasket arrangements, but no matter what I tried I just couldn't get the setup to be completely leak free. After my last attempt at sealing the wires I had the car up on its side with the two right hand wheels up off the ground (working on the exhaust) and fuel started to slowly drip out from under the car, coming from where the wires exited the hanger. I wasn't comfortable having anything but a 100% leak free setup especially with using E85 leaking near the exhaust system, and as I couldn't achieve this I removed the hanger.
I guess if you are able to run some kind of pass-through power setup this might work out ok, but space on top of the hanger is seriously limited with the extra feed port and larger return. You need to address this before you go chopping up a hanger, it's a critical step. Just on chopping up the hanger, use some kind of respirator, the fumes emitted when doing this smells like death, and probably will lead to yours if you breathe in a few lung fulls.
​​​​​​
​​​
​​​​​
I actually know own the double pumper that was originally built in the first post 5 years ago. Since then we have upgraded the pumps and it is now running a Walbro 525 primary and a walbro 450 secondary pump. I have seen him build several of these double pumpers now and have never seen any issues with the pumps twisting with worm clamps and we have several cars locally running our double pumpers. I have also noticed that Evospec Performance is also using worm clamps on their double pumpers as well and have never heard of them having any issues twisting the pumps either.

As far as the return lines are concerned we have addressed that issue in the newer generations of the double pumpers. Our newer models are provisioned with a 6an bulk head fitting to run a full 6an return line straight from the rail to the housing. On the older generation housing like the ones Nate and I use did utilize the stock return fitting on the housing. However we run a 6an line into a Y and then ran to 4an off the Y. One of which went to the stock return fitting and the other was connected to a fitting to the saddle siphon housing on the passenger side of the vehicle to allow more fuel to be return to the tank.

I have never had any issue with my original designed fuel pump leaking at all from the power wires. On the new pumps he is using a bulkhead fitting designed by STM specifically for feeding the wires threw top of the housing that helps seal the wires up. He used the same piece on his triple pumper that he built for his own car and his not had any issues with the housing leaking for venting off gas fumes at all.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
First up, I'm not criticising, just talking about the way I did things and about a few of the issues I had.

I ran this setup up to 400kw on a mainline dyno (probably around 500kw on a Dynojet), with the two staged 460's, there's absolutely no need to add a 525 to the mix unless your pushing 600 Dynojet kW's, and then I'd suggest a much more suitable setup would be a surge tank arrangement. Two 460's would provide enough fuel for close to 500kw on an Aussie mainline setup, and 525's just drag a whole heap of amps for no real advantage.

Wondering how you addressed the feed line/lines, I ended up using dash 8 feed for my Radium setup, a single dash 8 feed allows for enough flow for a lot of power. The original setup was hardly suitable for a single 460, let alone two, or a 525/460 setup. My twin oem hard-line worked well enough though, just added a lot of fittings and complications.

Funnily enough my 3/8 aluminium hard-line return worked great, both on the Radium jet venturi setup and the stock oem setup with the larger return port, never represented a problem.

The fact yours doesn't leak fuel is good, if you're just passing two wires through two holes in the top of the hanger I'd suggest that it would if you brimmed the tank with E85 and tilted the car up on its side, but I'm happy to be wrong, although I'm not surprised that the designed has been changed to incorporate the STM bulkhead fitting.

Last edited by Fireescape; Feb 24, 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
First up, I'm not criticising, just talking about the way I did things and about a few of the issues I had.

I ran this setup up to 400kw on a mainline dyno (probably around 500kw on a Dynojet), with the two staged 460's, there's absolutely no need to add a 525 to the mix unless your pushing 600 Dynojet kW's, and then I'd suggest a much more suitable setup would be a surge tank arrangement. Two 460's would provide enough fuel for close to 500kw on an Aussie mainline setup, and 525's just drag a whole heap of amps for no real advantage.

Wondering how you addressed the feed line/lines, I ended up using dash 8 feed for my Radium setup, a single dash 8 feed allows for enough flow for a lot of power. The original setup was hardly suitable for a single 460, let alone two, or a 525/460 setup. My twin oem hard-line worked well enough though, just added a lot of fittings and complications.

Funnily enough my 3/8 aluminium hard-line return worked great, both on the Radium jet venturi setup and the stock oem setup with the larger return port, never represented a problem.

The fact yours doesn't leak fuel is good, if you're just passing two wires through two holes in the top of the hanger I'd suggest that it would if you brimmed the tank with E85 and tilted the car up on its side, but I'm happy to be wrong, although I'm not surprised that the designed has been changed to incorporate the STM bulkhead fitting.
I'm currently making 800awhp at the moment in a 6466 with plans too go to gen 2 7275 in the future. So the fuel pump setup was adequate for what i was running as well as provide room to grow. Surge pump would be nice but this setup is adaquate for my needs and for the fraction of the cost. My car is a full weight ssl car that i drive on the street and not a track only race car. As far as the bulk head fitting is concerned it cleans things up a bit.