Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High Mileage Evos

Old Apr 4, 2019, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I've enjoyed reading all your replies even if I had nothing to add in response. Definitely keep 'em coming, guys, this is all great info for Evo owners both new and old.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by japspec
oh I see your running the fp red turbo setup, I guess I won’t see your gas hp rating cause I have the fp 71hta and fic 1100 injectors.
it in my signature 432 whp on 93 and 525 whp on E-85, going for more since I was leaking boost from my throttle body seal and upgrading my fuel pump to i think 525 walbro
Old Apr 5, 2019, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

93octane
what is your set-up so that we can estimate your hp?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gqcode
what is your set-up so that we can estimate your hp?
fp 71hta 84mm cover with Evo IX wastegate
fp intake for turbo
fic 1100 high z injectors
bolt ons exhaust/ ets 3.5 intercooler/ o2 housing
walbro 255
Old Apr 5, 2019, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Original owner 2003. Ran the stock block to 200k miles but had uneven compression numbers which concerned me enough to replace with CBRD built 2.3. Now at ~229k.

Car started increasing power with mild mods and tuning at ~40k miles. Makes right around 400whp now on BBK/Blouch turbo.

Routine fluid changes for engine, trans, transfer case, and diff have been key to longevity. Now if only Mitsu paint quality and rust problems were as easy to prevent...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 09:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
the years have not been kind to my paint. Im thinking about doing the body work and just sealing it and wrapping instead of repainting.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
the years have not been kind to my paint. Im thinking about doing the body work and just sealing it and wrapping instead of repainting.
Same thing here my RR still look good on one side and sort pink on the other side. I ve been quote to $3500 to getting repaint in the same color and I believe for the wrap between $1500 to $2000 so I'm still debating what I really want to do
Old Apr 5, 2019, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

fp 71hta 84mm cover with Evo IX wastegate
fp intake for turbo
fic 1100 high z injectors
bolt ons exhaust/ ets 3.5 intercooler/ o2 housing
walbro 255
I think in the range of 360 whp to about 380 whp but It will mostly depend on your tuner abilities.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:32 AM

Same thing here my RR still look good on one side and sort pink on the other side. I ve been quote to $3500 to getting repaint in the same color and I believe for the wrap between $1500 to $2000 so I'm still debating what I really want to do
Some of the reasons I like the idea of wrapping:

Consistency, all the environmental variables that effect a paint job are gone. No orange peel, no drips, no fish eyes, no contamination, etc, etc.

Then everyone knows as soon as you get a fresh paint job its going to get scratched. Well if that happens no big deal, you just peel that panel and replace it. What do most people do to protect their new paint job, they get clear bra type products. Well this is just taking it to the next level and wrapping the whole car.

Personally I want to be able to do the job myself and the facilities required to do a full car wrap are nothing compared to what it takes to do a legit paint job. Not to mention you aren't dealing with nasty chemicals and a confusing as hell paint system.

Just some of my thoughts on this topic. I'm sure there are downsides to wrapping vs. painting but so far my research has led me to believe its a viable alternative.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I think in the range of 360 whp to about 380 whp but It will mostly depend on your tuner abilities.
oh I for got I have the cop setup and ams lower pipe and muse upper intercooler piping.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys new here, super cool seeing all the high mileage evo’s. I got mine back in 2011 bone stock off craigslist. Kid’s dad was selling his sons car because he just got a DUI lol. It’s a 2003 apex silver evolution viii. Purchased with 79k miles and since ownership I have done evo 9 seats front and back, evo 9 turbo, and cheap Rota te37 knock offs. Got it tuned at KTmotoring in California made decent numbers on their dyno 298/277 around there, defiantly conservative. No problems on my end and she’s sitting at 159,672 miles currently.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Some of the reasons I like the idea of wrapping:

Consistency, all the environmental variables that effect a paint job are gone. No orange peel, no drips, no fish eyes, no contamination, etc, etc.

Then everyone knows as soon as you get a fresh paint job its going to get scratched. Well if that happens no big deal, you just peel that panel and replace it. What do most people do to protect their new paint job, they get clear bra type products. Well this is just taking it to the next level and wrapping the whole car.

Personally I want to be able to do the job myself and the facilities required to do a full car wrap are nothing compared to what it takes to do a legit paint job. Not to mention you aren't dealing with nasty chemicals and a confusing as hell paint system.

Just some of my thoughts on this topic. I'm sure there are downsides to wrapping vs. painting but so far my research has led me to believe its a viable alternative.
I used to hate wrap due to a poor job being done on one of my cars. Lately I'm starting to rethink that and seriously considering wrapping my IX. It's gonna be a pain in the *** but I think it'll be worth it to protect the paint and whatnot.
Also do you know how well rock chips show through the vinyl? I'd imagine, quite well.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RussianEVO
Hey guys new here, super cool seeing all the high mileage evo’s. I got mine back in 2011 bone stock off craigslist. Kid’s dad was selling his sons car because he just got a DUI lol. It’s a 2003 apex silver evolution viii. Purchased with 79k miles and since ownership I have done evo 9 seats front and back, evo 9 turbo, and cheap Rota te37 knock offs. Got it tuned at KTmotoring in California made decent numbers on their dyno 298/277 around there, defiantly conservative. No problems on my end and she’s sitting at 159,672 miles currently.
Very nice, man! I love Rotas btw, I have the same ones on my car and they have survived HELL. Just a bit heavy is all.
Also I'm assuming you're Russian based on your username, as am I! Cool to meet other Russian-Americans on here, there seems to be a huge Evo following in Russia right now.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Very nice, man! I love Rotas btw, I have the same ones on my car and they have survived HELL. Just a bit heavy is all.
Also I'm assuming you're Russian based on your username, as am I! Cool to meet other Russian-Americans on here, there seems to be a huge Evo following in Russia right now.

hey! That’s awesome! Yeah I love Rotas also, decent build quality, plus right now I live in a ghetto area so I am scared of people messing with my car. I feel as if I had real TE’s they would be stolen in a heartbeat lol
Also yes Russian, speak very little though lol, parents immigrated from St. Petersburg to California in the late 80’s. Where are you from?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I used to hate wrap due to a poor job being done on one of my cars. Lately I'm starting to rethink that and seriously considering wrapping my IX. It's gonna be a pain in the *** but I think it'll be worth it to protect the paint and whatnot.
Also do you know how well rock chips show through the vinyl? I'd imagine, quite well.
You want the body work to be good before you wrap, because it will all show through. If you have chips you would want to fill them first, same with all the other necessary body work.

Search this Thread