Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High Mileage Evos

Old Apr 5, 2019, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RussianEVO
hey! That’s awesome! Yeah I love Rotas also, decent build quality, plus right now I live in a ghetto area so I am scared of people messing with my car. I feel as if I had real TE’s they would be stolen in a heartbeat lol
Also yes Russian, speak very little though lol, parents immigrated from St. Petersburg to California in the late 80’s. Where are you from?
Same reason I love my rotas. If I damage one, or one gets stolen I'm looking at like $150 instead of $1000 lol.
I'm Moldovan, from Chishinau(Kishinev), although I've lived in the US most of my life.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
You want the body work to be good before you wrap, because it will all show through. If you have chips you would want to fill them first, same with all the other necessary body work.
I figured, thanks! Do you have any experience with how the wrap handles new rock chips? Am I going to completely destroy it doing donuts in gravel? Last time I decided to have fun offroad my paint was filled with dozens of chips. Would love to be able to avoid that as I do offroad driving fairly frequently.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 04:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Some of the reasons I like the idea of wrapping:

Consistency, all the environmental variables that effect a paint job are gone. No orange peel, no drips, no fish eyes, no contamination, etc, etc.

Then everyone knows as soon as you get a fresh paint job its going to get scratched. Well if that happens no big deal, you just peel that panel and replace it. What do most people do to protect their new paint job, they get clear bra type products. Well this is just taking it to the next level and wrapping the whole car.

Personally I want to be able to do the job myself and the facilities required to do a full car wrap are nothing compared to what it takes to do a legit paint job. Not to mention you aren't dealing with nasty chemicals and a confusing as hell paint system.

Just some of my thoughts on this topic. I'm sure there are downsides to wrapping vs. painting but so far my research has led me to believe its a viable alternative.
Wrap shows surface imperfections. If you need to replace a piece, you will need to match the fade; some fades easily/fast. It can be harder to match than paint.
I'd rather have paint with a clear bra, but wrap has it's benefits.

Last edited by kaj; Apr 5, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Found mine in 2017 with 95k miles. Current odo is 116k - FBO, cams, E85 solid motor!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My 06 SE is sitting at 147k currently. Haven't changed anything major besides a lot of maintenance. I always replace everything with OEM parts and its treated me well so far.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:44 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Evo 8, 124k, I am original owner, purchased 03/2005.

Mods: Buschur TB Exhaust/test pipe, Buschur upper and lower IC pipes, 264/264 cams, 680 injectors, crushed top recirc valve, TME 6.5 Turbo swap, and meth injection (forgot which system). All street tuned with ECU flash.

Just started driving again, and remembering why I wouldn't get rid of the car.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, Mine feels older. 2005 with 160k. Showing wear and tear but can be fixed if I wanted to drop some $$. When do you say no more $$ and just buy a newer vehicle?
Old May 7, 2019, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr
Damn, Mine feels older. 2005 with 160k. Showing wear and tear but can be fixed if I wanted to drop some $$. When do you say no more $$ and just buy a newer vehicle?

Never, there’s no other cars out there that feel like/drive like an 03-06 evo

or look look like an evo haha
Old May 7, 2019, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Money wise, its almost always going to be cheaper to maintain an older car then to buy a new one. With the evo specifically, getting something new that performs like a stock evo is going to be expensive, getting something that performs like a modded evo is going to be really expensive. The evo isn't cheap to maintain, but anything in the same performance class is going to be as expensive or more. If you need a different kind of vehicle though, then thats a different story.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Depends. Most people must have shinny paint. Painting a car, a good job, has become so expensive its not worth it on an older car. If you can get by the shinny object business, then is the car reliable? If you can't get it reliable then it is probably time to move on. Finally, do you have the motivation to do maintenance on an old car the same as if it were new? Most people don't.

Last edited by barneyb; May 7, 2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old May 7, 2019, 05:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I am fortunate/or unfortunate to have kids driving age. I hate car payments. When evo was paid off, it freed up so much money for other hobbies, and upkeep. Bought wife her Armanda, and it will paid off in few months. That free up of funds will basically offset my daughter's college expense not covered by her scholarships.

Point being, I have had 3 new vehicles grace my driveway. And even though a new car is nice, I always get enjoyment driving my Evo; Even after motorcycle trips and commuting on my Harleys.

Now that both my bikes are where I want them, i am back to flipping a coin on which project is next: Evo upgrades--suspension and turbo upgrade, or Datsun overhaul/Drag car build.
Old May 26, 2019, 09:31 PM

SalvGed title. Is it still worth it?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=239241418
Old May 28, 2019, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Money wise, its almost always going to be cheaper to maintain an older car then to buy a new one. With the evo specifically, getting something new that performs like a stock evo is going to be expensive, getting something that performs like a modded evo is going to be really expensive. The evo isn't cheap to maintain, but anything in the same performance class is going to be as expensive or more. If you need a different kind of vehicle though, then thats a different story.
I completely agree! I haven't driven anything so far that hits all the bars the Evo does. Such an awesome car and definitely worth maintaining and keeping alive, if for nothing other than keeping its legacy going!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

160k miles on my 2003. Stock motor, no tune. Just a tbe and air intake. But it really is showing its age on the exterior.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jluckyp
160k miles on my 2003. Stock motor, no tune. Just a tbe and air intake. But it really is showing its age on the exterior.
What kind of exterior problems are you dealing with? It may be pretty simple to fix with some paint correction and detail work.

Search this Thread