Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice on how to sell my Evo

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice on how to sell my Evo

First post, hopefully I came to the right place.

I live in So-Cal and it needs a smog check by a "referee" or something which means I think I need to sell it out of state where smog check isn't required because I don't want to deal with that BS. Someone told me to sell it on EBAY but I thought I'd check with the experts first. I'd add pics and more details but I don't know if this is the place for that so for now just a question.
It's a 2003 Lancer 8 if that helps.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
why will it not pass emissions?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Welcome

Sorry to hear the EvO got Ref'd

You can certainly post it up for sale in the market place, here on EvOM
Old May 1, 2019, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can sell it instate. Just memorialize the agreement with the seller that it's for off road purposes only and any efforts to title and register it for street use are the buyer's responsibility. People buy and sell cars that aren't street legal all the time. Race cars, project cars, wrecked cars, etc.
Old May 1, 2019, 01:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
The problem with your situation is that many of the buyers will low ball you if the car has a state referee request on it's VIN. These state refs are the scumbags of the scum when it comes to vehicle modifications. I am fairly certain that this is something that does not drop off with a vehicle sale. Do you have any oem parts around that you can bolt on and do this right? Shipping a vehicle will cost a lot.

Last edited by Pal215; May 1, 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks to all who replied, I'll go one by one:

why will it not pass emissions?
I think it's been modded but I have no idea what's been modded. It's my understanding that if you go to the referee they will make you return it to OEM in order to smog it.

Sorry to hear the EvO got Ref'd
You can certainly post it up for sale in the market place, here on EvOM

I noticed that yesterday, I'll be putting up an ad soon (day or two)

You can sell it instate. Just memorialize the agreement with the seller that it's for off road purposes only and any efforts to title and register it for street use are the buyer's responsibility. People buy and sell cars that aren't street legal all the time.

Can't register it unless it's smogged (according to the DMV) and I don't want to sell a car that can't be registered, it just sounds like it would be a headache.

The problem with your situation is that many of the buyers will low ball you if the car has a state referee request on it's VIN. These state refs are the scumbags of the scum when it comes to vehicle modifications. I am fairy certain that this is something that does not drop off with a vehicle sale. Do you have any oem parts around that you can bolt on and do this right? Shipping a vehicle will cost a lot.

That's the reason I want to sell it out of state, where there are no smog tests. I don't even want to start trying to make it smog-able. Shipping costs and due diligence are all on the buyer.

thanks again, I'll post here when I list it
Old May 1, 2019, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Up to you whether you want to sell a car that cannot immediately be smogged. All I was says was there are several ways for you to do it. Also, it can be registered with a temporary tag. You can get an extension to make "repairs" necessary to pass smog. Again, up to you how you want to proceed.

I'd rather sell it instate at a discount and let someone else deal with the smog issue. But again, entirely up to you. At the end of the day, the referral to the ref is not a legal impediment to selling it in California. It's has it's obvious consequences though.
Old May 15, 2019, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your california regulations are crazy. I'm selling my Evo now in Arizona, we just need to have a cat and the readiness monitors cleared. What is it that is keeping it from passing?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 06:35 PM

Ready to sell

So, it's been a while since I first posted (got sidetracked) but now I'm ready to sell this car. I have some pics and I'll try to answer what I can. I'm going to look for the right place to post the listing. If anyone has any advice let me know.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 07:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello

Yes, post up in the market place please. Will need your user name & date sign in front of the door jam VIN as well

Example:

Old Sep 10, 2019, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you selling it because you can't get the car to pass smog? Or you are just planning on getting rid of the car in general?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hello

Yes, post up in the market place please. Will need your user name & date sign in front of the door jam VIN as well

Example:

Thanks, I saw this last night when I was going to post it. Just went and took some pics. Going to try to get all the pics together (kinda jumbled up but whatever) and see if I can find an old one, should be up soon though.

"Are you selling it because you can't get the car to pass smog? Or you are just planning on getting rid of the car in general?"

Can't get the car to pass.....well, it might pass but who knows, all I know is it now has to have a "referee" or whatever which I'm pretty sure can't be good. Perfect car for an out of state buyer. I mean, everyone wants a "California" car anyways, right?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 06:52 PM

//

Last edited by Noize; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
looks like it needs a lot of work and his been neglected a lot ?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck selling it, I feel bad for the condition that evo is in, it would take a lot of patience and money to bring it back to life......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on how to sell my Evo