Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice on how to sell my Evo

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on how to sell my Evo

First post, hopefully I came to the right place.

I live in So-Cal and it needs a smog check by a "referee" or something which means I think I need to sell it out of state where smog check isn't required because I don't want to deal with that BS. Someone told me to sell it on EBAY but I thought I'd check with the experts first. I'd add pics and more details but I don't know if this is the place for that so for now just a question.
It's a 2003 Lancer 8 if that helps.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
why will it not pass emissions?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:27 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 860 Likes on 821 Posts
Welcome

Sorry to hear the EvO got Ref'd

You can certainly post it up for sale in the market place, here on EvOM
Old May 1, 2019, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can sell it instate. Just memorialize the agreement with the seller that it's for off road purposes only and any efforts to title and register it for street use are the buyer's responsibility. People buy and sell cars that aren't street legal all the time. Race cars, project cars, wrecked cars, etc.
Old May 1, 2019, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
The problem with your situation is that many of the buyers will low ball you if the car has a state referee request on it's VIN. These state refs are the scumbags of the scum when it comes to vehicle modifications. I am fairly certain that this is something that does not drop off with a vehicle sale. Do you have any oem parts around that you can bolt on and do this right? Shipping a vehicle will cost a lot.

Last edited by Pal215; May 1, 2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 1, 2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks to all who replied, I'll go one by one:

why will it not pass emissions?
I think it's been modded but I have no idea what's been modded. It's my understanding that if you go to the referee they will make you return it to OEM in order to smog it.

Sorry to hear the EvO got Ref'd
You can certainly post it up for sale in the market place, here on EvOM

I noticed that yesterday, I'll be putting up an ad soon (day or two)

You can sell it instate. Just memorialize the agreement with the seller that it's for off road purposes only and any efforts to title and register it for street use are the buyer's responsibility. People buy and sell cars that aren't street legal all the time.

Can't register it unless it's smogged (according to the DMV) and I don't want to sell a car that can't be registered, it just sounds like it would be a headache.

The problem with your situation is that many of the buyers will low ball you if the car has a state referee request on it's VIN. These state refs are the scumbags of the scum when it comes to vehicle modifications. I am fairy certain that this is something that does not drop off with a vehicle sale. Do you have any oem parts around that you can bolt on and do this right? Shipping a vehicle will cost a lot.

That's the reason I want to sell it out of state, where there are no smog tests. I don't even want to start trying to make it smog-able. Shipping costs and due diligence are all on the buyer.

thanks again, I'll post here when I list it
Old May 1, 2019, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Up to you whether you want to sell a car that cannot immediately be smogged. All I was says was there are several ways for you to do it. Also, it can be registered with a temporary tag. You can get an extension to make "repairs" necessary to pass smog. Again, up to you how you want to proceed.

I'd rather sell it instate at a discount and let someone else deal with the smog issue. But again, entirely up to you. At the end of the day, the referral to the ref is not a legal impediment to selling it in California. It's has it's obvious consequences though.
Old May 15, 2019, 09:40 PM

Your california regulations are crazy. I'm selling my Evo now in Arizona, we just need to have a cat and the readiness monitors cleared. What is it that is keeping it from passing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.