Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tial 44mm wastegate stopped opening

Old May 21, 2019, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tial 44mm wastegate stopped opening

I have a evo 9 mr, fbo, custom 35r, mac ebc, e85, 30 psi and holds till redline at 7k, no boost leaks, tial 44 mm external wastegate.

When i had the car at 28 psi the wastegate would open but eversince I had it bumped up to 30 psi, the wastegate has gone quiet. car still feels good but im curious if this is common or normal. I applied pressure onto the piston of the wg actuator and it took almost my full weight to move the piston. is that normal?
Old May 28, 2019, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Have you tested the WG with air to see if it's actuating?
Old May 29, 2019, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackline
Have you tested the WG with air to see if it's actuating?
havent tried it yet bec I dont have an air compressor and the car is down atm. but I had it off and I tried to push the valve down with the wooden handle of my hammer and it took alot of pressure to get it to open.
Old May 29, 2019, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Sounds about right. Think of it like this...the wastegate is only opening to bleed off exhaust gasses as its already achieved its target boost. As you mentioned when running 28# you would hear the wg open at which case its bleeding pressure. Now you upped the pressure and at some point the wg no longer needs to open and often times cant even keep up in the upper RPMs thus boost tapers.

Search this Thread