Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fuel System Components Rusted / Need Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Fuel System Components Rusted / Need Replacement

Had my 2003 Evo 8 into the shop for 120,000 mile timing belt, tensioner, waterpump change. Mechanic mentioned (after 15 winters in CT with salted roads) that my fuel tank, filler neck assembly and fuel lines had a significant amount of rust, and recommended replacement (I am throwing a code for a system evap leak). He said he could see about 1/2 of the two fuel lines when underneath the car without pulling the tank. I am assuming they must be (stainless?) steel and are items 10 and 11, the filler hose and breather tube, but does anyone know? Other than the filler neck and associated tubing, this seems to be the only fuel lines outside of the tank.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 05:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I can only imagine how much corrosion damage there may be w/the entire undercarriage

Might be time to think about pulling the entire tank & doing a full undercarraige inspection & restoration (you may not like what is found)

Not trying to be harsh, but ive dealt w/many automotive corrosion damage issues in the field of work that i do. The salts, mag & calcium chlorides used on the roads destroys metal & wiring components

Is this EvO a keeper car for ya?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, tank, filler neck and fuel lines to be replaced. Also ordered new oil pan (that's in bad shape, too) and associated tube and tube gasket. Parts for all look to be $600-700, labor another $600-800. Agree will likely find more (I've already been warned about brake lines) when tank is pulled.

Car is a keeper. I bought new in December of 2003, and it is bone stock. Car is as much fun today as it was when I bought it. Did the clutch last summer, and planning a complete high-quality re-spray later this year. I've got some rust above both rear wheels and on the rear quarter driver's side where the rear door meets the panel, that will be removed and replaced with some fresh metal (no massive amounts of bondo).

The car has been great in the snow as I've got a second set of wheels with snow tires. Unfortunately, they put down a lot of salt here in CT, and periodic undercarrige washes were not enough to prevent all this damage. Good news is I have spent my last winter in CT, and heading to warmer climate where snow is rarity, and they don't salt the roads.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot I had the shop manual.

Actually, it looks like it's probably the high pressure fuel lines. These look to be steel based on fittings. 10 and 11 above look to be rubber based on clamps shown in this picture. Will have to find P/N's.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 06:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Great to hear your plans going fwd. Really shows your commitment as an EvO enthusiast

Maybe consider doing a build thread so we can witness your progress?
The following users liked this post:
WestPalmEVO (Jun 9, 2019)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

My mechanic says I need the FUEL TANK PIPE ASSEMBLY (Item 12) in the attached schematic. I've been looking around unsuccessfully. Anyone have ideas?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Had the tank, filler neck, oil pan and brake lines all replaced. Sixteen years of CT winter and salted roads were not kind to the Evo.

On the tank and filler neck, ordered from RockAuto. Heads up, their catalog is wrong. The tank they list for the Evo 8 is not the correct tank, nor is the filler neck. They will not take the parts back. Disputing with my cc company. Local Mitsu Dealer found the last tank in the US.

Next up, looking to remove some sheet metal with rust and replace with new sheet metal, and then a re-spray.

121K miles and almost 16 years (bought it new off the lot with < 10 miles), and still loving the Evo.