Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Battery Relocation Stuff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Sorry I think i answered you in a not so ninja edit.
Sorry it’s just that since I’m not great with electricity some times I need it to be broken down a little more lol. Well, right now the factory alternator wire goes to the evo x fuse box I added for the relocation. If I upgrade the wire it would go from alternator to the evo x fuses.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolevos
So i am in process of doing this same thing I am just wondering if it can be done without the evo x fuse block can it be done with the stock on on the ix and if so what would be the best way to mount it any ideas ?
I’ve seen people use different fuse blocks from amazon etc. I’m not sure if it can be done with the evo 9 one. I think not.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:44 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
Sorry it’s just that since I’m not great with electricity some times I need it to be broken down a little more lol. Well, right now the factory alternator wire goes to the evo x fuse box I added for the relocation. If I upgrade the wire it would go from alternator to the evo x fuses.
Thats right, so actually to do the big 3 you would need to upgrade your alternator to added fuse block, then what i was saying before would be upgrade fuse block to fuse box. For some reason I was thinking about your routing wrong in my head, so It was my fault for being confusing.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Why would I need an added fuse block? Right now isn’t the alternator wire going straight from the alternator to evo x fuse box or are you saying somewhere in the wire between alternator and evo x fuse box there is a fuse hidden in the harness?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what kind of fuse block I should get I’ve been looking but can’t really find much info on other kinds people are using I’ve seen them in pictures before but no one says what they are
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Why not just use the evo x one? Works and looks well.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolevos
I wonder what kind of fuse block I should get I’ve been looking but can’t really find much info on other kinds people are using I’ve seen them in pictures before but no one says what they are
If you are referring to the stock fuse block that connects to the positive battery terminal, yes you can use it. I relocated my battery to the trunk and used my stock fuse block, many others have done this too. The evo x block makes for a cleaner install with the mount but it is not necessary.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 01:42 PM

Why would I need an added fuse block? Right now isn’t the alternator wire going straight from the alternator to evo x fuse box or are you saying somewhere in the wire between alternator and evo x fuse box there is a fuse hidden in the harness?

Sorry i threw some stuff out there without being clear. What I meant was the evo X added fuse block. What I had in my head was you running a wire directly from the Evo 9 underhood fuse box straight to the alternator. Basically bypassing the evo x junction. If you did that I was saying you should add another inline fuse. You could just upgrade the [alternator to evo x junction wire] and the [evo x junction to evo 9 fuse box wire]. Which is what I was trying to say in that post but wasn't being clear that I meant the evo X added fuse block.

It's hot here, my brain is melting

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 18, 2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
If you are referring to the stock fuse block that connects to the positive battery terminal, yes you can use it. I relocated my battery to the trunk and used my stock fuse block, many others have done this too. The evo x block makes for a cleaner install with the mount but it is not necessary.
Might I ask how you have it mounted the stock ix fuse block that is or where it’s mounted
Old Jun 18, 2019, 03:13 PM

Why not just use the evo x one? Works and looks well.
I was really wanting to clean up the most amount of wires that I can do I was trying to stay on the smaller side to keep it hidden honestly
Old Jun 18, 2019, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

As usual I think I went overboard. Can I just add a bigger wire to alternator instead of replacing?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 04:48 PM

As usual I think I went overboard. Can I just add a bigger wire to alternator instead of replacing?
Looks good to me. As far as I'm concerned you can never have too much grounding. I'm sure some of the extreme weight savings guys would argue with me though.

I like adding wire instead of replacing. You get more copper in the end that way. Plus if you ever want to go back to stock or change something you still have the original stuff in place.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 18, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha, I was looking at doing the alternator but it looks like a pain in the ***. I tied everything together from one side of the car to the other. Let’s see how it does. Tomorrow I want to run grounds from the two grounds in the back to the battery ground. Since I’m not sure which one is the fuel pump ground I’m just going to do both. I think I have a parasitic draw somewhere. Checked battery today and it dropped from 12.45v to 12.22v with car off over night. I’m guessing maybe alarm.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Nor,
if your looking for a draw on the battery, put a ammeter in series with the positive battery cable, then start pulling one fuse at a time until the draw goes away. Even a 100 milliamp draw can cause issues over the period of a week.
PS make sure the key is off!

Last edited by 2winscroll; Jun 21, 2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I thought you put it in series with the negative?

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation Stuff