Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wanting to build!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to build!

Not sure which area of the forums to post this, so I'm going to post it here to General and if it needs to be moved that's fine.

Hey everyone, this might be a bit of a lengthy read but I'm wanting to make sure I cover my basics. Lets get this started.

The time has come, I have finally paid off the evo (2005 EB Evo 8). I know it's no excuse for waiting to build it but I feel as if now is the time to begin that process. It's currently around the FBO area. Evo 9 turbo, HKS 272 cams, 1100cc injectors, Walbro 255, Exedy twin clutch, Full catless exhaust, upgraded FMIC(Do not know the brand it was on the car whenever I bought it 5 years ago), and a tune from English Motorsports. The car made roughly 380whp 390tq on E-85 and I believe around 350whp and 355tq on pump.

The build goal- I'm looking at making somewhere around 600whp+. Not really looking to drag the car, maybe here and there. But I am mainly looking for a street car. One that I can really kick the teeth in on some cocky corvette or mustang owner.

Items I have looked at- As far as the engine, I would like to have a good reliable long block. I know it's going to be quite expensive for everything to get to where I want and to make it as virtually "sound" as I can, and that is ok. I've been directed and I've looked into getting a Bushcur 2.1(I believe that is the correct bottom end), maybe even go big and get the Long Rod version. I'm not for certain on what direction to go for the head though. My current head is nearly fully built, upgraded springs, rockers, lifters and valves. Bad thing is, it had to be sent a machine shop to get resurfaced due to person I bought it from did not know it was warped (at least to my knowledge). It just needs to be ported. As far as the turbo is concerned. I've always loved the look of the forward facing so I may end up going with that just for that mean *** look it gives it. And for the turbo itself I am thinking about going with a precision maybe a 6266? or something close to that. With the transmission, transfer case, rear diff. Besides the term dogbox and built or ACD I am pretty clueless when it comes to these. But i do know that I will need to probably upgrade these at some point if I do not do it in the beginning.

Questions- The questions I have are. What are people running as far as parts to make this kind of power (that range being 600-750/800?)? Is there anything you wish you knew prior to doing your build? I know the scare of buying used parts however would you recommend some parts over others? More specific parts stuff, do I need to get a new head because of it being resurfaced? What kind of transmission, rear diff and transfer case would I need?

Thanks for the read and potentially some opinions! Look forward to what everyone has to say along with getting this beast to where I want it!

Old Jul 19, 2019, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I would be going with an English Racing 2.2 SLR motor and a 6466 (pretty much no lag difference and more power compared to the 6266). I would be looking at running a set of GSC S2 or S3 cams (ditch the HKS that's an OLD grind that doesn't make nearly the power the newer cams make). There is a lot more that you can get into, but that's the direction I would be going.
The following users liked this post:
Kealinstillz (Jul 19, 2019)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats brother on paying off your first officially owned evo! As far as making power above 500+ i'd look into upgrading your tranny/t-tcase before anything. Reputable shops like sheptrans and jackstransmissions are the one i'd personally stick with since myself and friends haven't dealt with anyone else, other examples being (stm tuned and streetuned performance.) Your build as of now is perfect and to me changing it would only come with what i wanted to do with it. Right now your sitting at a perfect daily/track car. Used parts all depends on the part and what the person used it for, which you'll never 100% know because people will say anything to sell their old parts. But whatever makes you comfortable is what i would do.
Start out with your tranny/tcase and diff is what my honest opinion would be.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
you can review engine builders on this forum.
Lots of good feedback from curt brown and engilsh stuff.

i like the 2.4 for the street. just what i prefer.
S3's or S2's.
if you go front mount... be sure you can fit on an air cleaner... you dont want to drive a car on the street with no filter.

jacks or shep to build the tranny and the diff.

will also need to spend some money on the fuel system....

good luck.! will be fun!!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 07:51 PM

Teal2nnr- I haven't even thought about going with an English engine. Just didn't cross my mind lol. I'll look into it. The turbo is definitely something I'm not set on, just something that I knew could fit the block for now. And yes I would be ditching the HKS cams. I appreciate the comment!

Anzor- Thank you very much! Ah yes, sheptrans that is one I've heard of. And as far as what I'm wanting to do with the car. I'm really just wanting to have a weekend monster kind of thing. I've been daily driving it over the past 5 years and it hurts me to think about it lol. I knew that upgrading those items is a pretty big step I just never really thought about doing them first! Thank you for the comment!

hutch959- I've seen a little bit floating around with the 2.4. Sounds like it needs a bit of extra machine work or something to get it right though? As far as the head maybe? And needing a special water pump and such. Thankfully, not that they are super expensive but I already have a walbro 450 at home was intending on using it whenever I was going E85 but didn't realize I needed some extra components for it. Thank you for the comment and yes it will be, I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited by Kealinstillz; Jul 19, 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Go with an English racing engine.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by japspec
Go with an English racing engine.
I have nothing against them. My car runs like a champ. But their engines are just so expensive . And I get why. I just don't have the money currently to drop 13k+ on a long block.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 03:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I personally like the 2.1. I'm in the process of building one right now for my drag car. That will be paired with a Kelford 280 cams and a Precision 6870 turbo. I'm a big fan of using the 4g64 block. They are readily available at junkyards in my area and I can pick up a bare block for dirt cheap. The forward facing kit is cool looking but personally if you want a street car got standard placement or top mount. Not being able to run ac sucks and the dust and water that you suck into the turbo isn't really the best for it. I have the forward facing kit on my street car and that was probably my biggest regret. I have purchased a standard placement kit for it and will be swapping it out come winter time. For a street car though don't over look the 2.4. I love mine. I think a 2.4 with a 6266 would be a killer street setup. I currently run an aluminum rod 2.4 w/ a 6466 turbo and Kelford 276 High lift cam shaft. My trans and tcase are built, but my rear diff is stock. I had buschur build me an ulimate ratio trans with a 4.11 final drive and I run a jack's stage 3 tcase w/ wave trac lsd.
Kealinstillz (Jul 26, 2019)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
How many miles on your aluminum rods? I keep reading that aluminum has a limited service life and is not recommended for DD duties.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
How many miles on your aluminum rods? I keep reading that aluminum has a limited service life and is not recommended for DD duties.
I have around 6k on this motor. My tuner has over 400 passes within 4 seasons on his race car though with Vader rods running mid 8s to high 7 sec passes. Revving his dsm to 10,700 rpm and over 170+ mph and the only reason that he destroy a rod was do to a nitrous backfire. So im pretty much sold on aluminium rods at this point.
2006EvoIXer (Jul 26, 2019)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kealinstillz
I have nothing against them. My car runs like a champ. But their engines are just so expensive . And I get why. I just don't have the money currently to drop 13k+ on a long block.
I was talking about English racing shortblock lol, getting a longblock from any shop is gonna hurt the pockets.
Kealinstillz (Jul 27, 2019)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Do a 2.4LR or a 2.2SLR. ER offers short blocks so the hard part is done. Can slap a race head from head games on it and the rest of the components. 2.4LR will need the head oringed.

A 6466 is cool, but the fuel system required to run it properly can get pricey, and at 800whp+ engine line because much more finite.

So you need to personally define 600+ as 600-650, 700, 750, 800...? Because even for above 800, you need an intake manifold. Stuff gets serious up there.

For 600-650whp on a 2.4LR a Garret gen2 3076 or Precision gen2 5558 would be a spool monster riot. Go with a Vband turbo kit.
Kealinstillz (Jul 27, 2019)
Old Jul 27, 2019, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

I'd run copper o-rings on the block personally. Not a fan of o-ringing heads. But too each is their own I guess. We o-ringed my block and run an Evo 9 head gasket on my 2.4. 6466 revving to 9k at 40+ psi and have had zero headgasket issues.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by japspec
I was talking about English racing shortblock lol, getting a longblock from any shop is gonna hurt the pockets.
Ah lol. I’m not against it by any means. I’ve also thought about a Buschur short block.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 08:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare68
I'd run copper o-rings on the block personally. Not a fan of o-ringing heads. But too each is their own I guess. We o-ringed my block and run an Evo 9 head gasket on my 2.4. 6466 revving to 9k at 40+ psi and have had zero headgasket issues.
We went 180 in the 1/2 with a 6466 in a full weight car. 2.4LR with an Oring'ed Head making 860whp and 680wtq. They work just fine when done correctly